Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Converting 2x to 1x

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Converting 2x to 1x

Old 11-05-18, 06:00 AM
JohnUSA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Converting 2x to 1x

I was mountain biking over the weekend and I snapped my derailleur off and bent the derailleur really bad. It’s pretty much ruined, so I need a new derailleur. The thing is, I have a 2x10 drivetrain right now and I want a 1x11, so I figure this would be a good time to upgrade. I found some components online at a good pride, namely a Shimano XT 11sp Rear derailleur, Shimano XT 11sp shifter, and the appropriate 11sp chain and 11-42 cassette. However, my main question lies with the crankset.

Right now, I have a Race Face Ride 2x crankset with 36/22 rings. It came with my 2017 Trek Fuel EX 5. I found a nice Shimano XT 1x boost crankset and a 32t tooth 96mm ring, and while I would love to get a new shiny XT crankset, I’m wondering if I can just use my existing crankarms as 1x.

My main question is: can I take off the 36 and 22 tooth rings on my Race Face Ride 2x crankset and put on a single 32 tooth race face narrow ride chainring? Will this cause a bad chainline? Thanks for your help!
Old 11-05-18, 06:54 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnUSA
My main question is: can I take off the 36 and 22 tooth rings on my Race Face Ride 2x crankset and put on a single 32 tooth race face narrow ride chainring? Will this cause a bad chainline? Thanks for your help!
They only way to know is to put on the ring and eyeball the chainline. Some friends and I run old, nine-speed cranks in 1x configurations. We use spacers to fine-tune the chainline. I didn't mind buying four bags of spacers in different thicknesses, and I already had a pile of different length bolts to play with.
Likes For JonathanGennick:
Old 11-06-18, 08:59 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,178 Times in 769 Posts
You're making this more expensive than it needs to be and your chainline will be fine.

Keep your 10 speed cassette on, remove the derailleur and one of the front chain rings and put a 28, 30 or 32 chainring on the front.

If you feel you don't have a enough low gear with the 28t chainring up front then you can still put on a wide range 10 speed cassette.

https://www.amazon.com/CYSKY-Cassette-Mountain-Bicycle-Shimano/dp/B075ST7NR1/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1541516294&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=sunrace+11-46+10+speed&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/JGbike-Sunrace-Cassette-Shimano-derailleur/dp/B076KRTMWC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1541516294&sr=8-3&keywords=sunrace+11-46+10+speed

https://praxiscycles.com/product/10s...ange-cassette/
Old 11-06-18, 09:11 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
The difference in chainline between a typical 2X crank and a dedicated 1X is a few millimeters. I have 10,000+ miles with a RaceFace narrow-wide on an FSA Gossamer 2X crank, running to a 10-42 cassette. Worst case scenario, the chain will have a little more angle at one end of the cassette than the other.

If budget is a concern, you can absolutely just throw a narrow-wide on there and call it a day. But if you want 11-speed, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. In cycling, want > need most of the time.

You'll probably end up with that XT crank in the future anyway.
Old 11-09-18, 09:32 AM
Reynolds 531 

Bikes: a few that I can't recall

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 299 Times in 146 Posts
Just to clarify: You DO need a "narrow-wide" front chainring designed for 1x. I've tried to use my spare chainrings from 2x systems, and it absolutely does not work. Shop around, the prices vary a LOT, and they all perform almost the same.
Likes For Reynolds 531:
Old 11-09-18, 09:48 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
USA Made still the way to go for narrow-wide, unless you feel like throwing down RaceFace or Wolftooth money.... or you have a 104BCD (or smaller) crank. In that event, you can get anything. There's a zillion of 'em on eBay for under 15 bucks.
Old 11-12-18, 02:41 PM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnUSA
I was mountain biking over the weekend and I snapped my derailleur off and bent the derailleur really bad. It’s pretty much ruined, so I need a new derailleur. The thing is, I have a 2x10 drivetrain right now and I want a 1x11, so I figure this would be a good time to upgrade. I found some components online at a good pride, namely a Shimano XT 11sp Rear derailleur, Shimano XT 11sp shifter, and the appropriate 11sp chain and 11-42 cassette. However, my main question lies with the crankset.

Right now, I have a Race Face Ride 2x crankset with 36/22 rings. It came with my 2017 Trek Fuel EX 5. I found a nice Shimano XT 1x boost crankset and a 32t tooth 96mm ring, and while I would love to get a new shiny XT crankset, I’m wondering if I can just use my existing crankarms as 1x.

I just did this on my XC bike. Good chainline and I much prefer the 1x...I used the Raceface Clinch Narrow-wide chainring. Super clean without the spiders...
Old 11-12-18, 03:14 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds 531
Just to clarify: You DO need a "narrow-wide" front chainring designed for 1x. I've tried to use my spare chainrings from 2x systems, and it absolutely does not work. Shop around, the prices vary a LOT, and they all perform almost the same.
m

Worked for me for years. No clutch RD, either. I did have a bash guard, though and a $10 Ngear Jumpstop. I ran this for several years on a 1x9 setup on HT that I rode on rough terrain. Only lost a chain once, and that was when the Jumpstop got knocked out of adjustment.

That said, If I were doing it now with a clutch RD, I’d get a narrow wide ring before a jumpstop.
Old 05-30-19, 04:46 PM
gil_00000

Bikes: 1977 Trek Tx700, 1978 Trek 510, 1969 Raleigh Competition, 1985 Univega Viva Sport, 1991 Bridgestone RB-1, 1986 Schwinn Voyageur, 1987 Bianchi Limited, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 2019 Surly Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts
You can do it cheaper if you get a bit resourceful. It won't look good but it will work. I ran part of this for a while. Still have the chain guide to this day.

I took the big chainring of my 2x crank off. Ended up putting a bash guard on that was an old and useless chainring. Since I didn't get a derailleur with a clutch until much later, I went to the local bike coop and got the worst front mountain derailleur I could find. I got the worst because I didn't want to cut up and grind down a usable component. Then I had a chain guard. Ghetto but it worked and it was free since I was a volunteer and the front mech was practically trash anyway.

I did end up getting a clutch rear derailleur. I never did get a narrow wide chainring. My chain will fall off if I don't have the chain guide on. I still have that bike too.

I did this to a 2x10 setup. Converted to 1x10.

I just bought a new bike with trash Sram components 1x11. I hate it so much I'm thinking about taking the 'old' Shimano Zee 1x10 off and putting on my new bike until I decide on the 11 speed gear I want.
Old 05-30-19, 05:17 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Most NW chainrings have some offset to move them closer to the center. You also can use spacers and longer bolts.

Now is a good time to upgrade. Especially assuming you chain and cassette already have some miles on. You also can use the cheaper SLX RD with the XT shifter. More economical, especially now that you know RD can break :-)

Definitely get the XT shifter, it is worth the added money for instant release and double upshift the SLX lacks.
Old 05-30-19, 08:13 PM
qclabrat

Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
solid upgrade to show the Fuel some love, XT and XTR is pretty cheap now.
Not sure your riding needs it, but you may want to consider the 46T cassette plate.
If you find yourself using the smaller chainring from time to time, you may run out of gears with the 42T. Check out the gear inches of the 28x32 to 32x42, I'm too lazy right now to check....Prev