Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

What defines a TRUE CYCLO CROSS FRAME?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

What defines a TRUE CYCLO CROSS FRAME?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-08, 03:39 PM
flargle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adebrunner
Why canti brakes? Nothing else still uses that method right?
Cantilevers (especially the old-school wide-profile ones) offer better mud clearance than V-brakes. Also, road brake levers have too much mechanical advantage with V-brakes, so you need to add a travel agent between the two.

Disc brakes are outlawed in UCI-sanctioned road and cross races. Even in races where they are allowed, they still have a weight penalty compared with cantis. Cross courses don't have the sort of sustained, technical descents that cross-country races have.

Cantilever brakes are simple, light, reliable, and have more than enough stopping power. Like all other kinds of brakes, they have their loveable and not-so-loveable quirks.
Old 06-18-08, 10:15 PM
M_S

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flargle
Cantilevers (especially the old-school wide-profile ones) offer better mud clearance than V-brakes. Also, road brake levers have too much mechanical advantage with V-brakes, so you need to add a travel agent between the two.

Disc brakes are outlawed in UCI-sanctioned road and cross races. Even in races where they are allowed, they still have a weight penalty compared with cantis. Cross courses don't have the sort of sustained, technical descents that cross-country races have.

Cantilever brakes are simple, light, reliable, and have more than enough stopping power. Like all other kinds of brakes, they have their loveable and not-so-loveable quirks.
Well put.
Old 06-19-08, 08:52 AM
pinkpowa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
135mm spacing so you can build some robust wheels with MTB hubs. Especially for disc equipped bikes.
Old 06-19-08, 10:14 AM
schnee

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
There seems to be some miscommunication with the whole 'top mounted cables' thing. It's important that the cables that run along the top tube are mounted on top of it. Otherwise cables dig into your shoulder, get caught in your glove, etc.

Many cross bikes run some cables along the down tube. That seems to be more of a matter of preference, because I wouldn't imagine an old-school company like Gunnar still doing it without good reason.
Old 06-19-08, 11:05 AM
flargle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pinkpowa
135mm spacing so you can build some robust wheels with MTB hubs. Especially for disc equipped bikes.
Wrong.
Old 06-19-08, 11:06 AM
dirtyphotons
antisocialite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
good eye schnee, i was talking about the former but looking back it seems others were talking about the latter.

due to preference and local course design i tend to shoulder a lot. when shouldering i prefer not to have any cables on the downtube because i almost inevitably pull them. sometimes it causes a skip in gears when i get back on, and i could easily see it causing me to dump my chain if i'm not careful.

the same could be said for suitcasing and cables along the top tube, of course, so i can see how that would be a matter of preference. sorry to MIN for misinterpreting.
Old 06-20-08, 06:45 AM
mrtornadohead
dork. yup.

Bikes: Trek xo2, Fuji Cross Pro, Schwinn Traveler cross-conversion, Concours, Trek 2300, Takara, Specialized Hard Rock, Bianchi Campione D'Italia, GT LTS Team issue, BikeE, Miyata 110, and some others. Somewhere.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am wondering if there is an "ideal" size for the top tube. With tubing getting larger and shaped I have to think if there is a point of the top tube getting too large to handle easily, or it having a shape that hinders suitcasing.

Also, what about internal cable routing? Obviously, running the rear brake cable internally on the tt has been done on road bikes for a while but what about running the der cables thru the tt as well, or is that going to be too much of a mess to setup (yes, I have built up bikes with internal rear brake routing)? What about running the der. cables internally thru the down tube?

Just wondering out loud here.
Old 06-20-08, 04:37 PM
cc700
Ths Hipstr Kills Masheenz

Bikes: tirove

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
internal cables make a lot of sense in adverse conditions, but they are marginally harder to engineer and manufacture, as well as the aforementioned issue of more cable decreasing performance of the brakes.

i don't CX (yet) but from a design perspective you're likely to be cleaning gunk out of an external cable more than an internal setup. the extra cost comes at a marginal added benefit.
Old 07-02-08, 10:23 AM
the Repeater
Life champion

Bikes: Klein Q-Pro, '78 Gazelle cross, parts strewth.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Top tube routing for shifting stability and portaging, no braze ons whatsoever, 130mm spacing.

No exceptions.
Old 07-02-08, 10:08 PM
carlfreddy
Acquiring new target....

Bikes: Trek XO-1, Gary Fisher Rig

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by climbhoser
Higher BB,
Why?

I'd have just the opposite; lower the BB.

My reasoning is two-fold; 1) the saddle height will be lower for re-mounts, and 2) the center of gravity will be lower making the bike easier to handle on technical courses.
Old 07-02-08, 10:24 PM
schnee

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by carlfreddy
Why?

My reasoning is two-fold; 1) the saddle height will be lower for re-mounts, and 2) the center of gravity will be lower making the bike easier to handle on technical courses.
On the flip side, too low of a BB and you'll get pedal strike on off-camber or super-rutty conditions.

Belgian Knee Warmers has a good write-up on this. Different CX manufacturers use different philosophies on this. All I could figure out was the BB drop varied, but was no lower than a road bike of the same size.
Old 07-03-08, 12:44 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
I would like to see some manufacturers off small and medium frames with 650B wheels, so I can ride trails without constantly worrying about toe overlap.
Old 07-03-08, 06:15 AM
rankin116

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cc700
internal cables make a lot of sense in adverse conditions, but they are marginally harder to engineer and manufacture, as well as the aforementioned issue of more cable decreasing performance of the brakes.

i don't CX (yet) but from a design perspective you're likely to be cleaning gunk out of an external cable more than an internal setup. the extra cost comes at a marginal added benefit.
Why not just run full housing? I'll be doing with my MB over the winter, seems like it would be beneficial to a CX bike as well.
Old 07-03-08, 06:46 AM
arctic hawk

Bikes: 2001 Trek XO1, 2009 Ridley Crossbow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rankin116
Why not just run full housing? I'll be doing with my MB over the winter, seems like it would be beneficial to a CX bike as well.
I have been running full housing on my Trek XO1 for the last 2 years.
I guess I don't fall into the true cyclocross frame as it is my full time commuter, summer & winter. The full housing does keep out the extra road crap & winter salt/ice/slush...
Old 07-03-08, 08:54 AM
carlfreddy
Acquiring new target....

Bikes: Trek XO-1, Gary Fisher Rig

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by schnee
On the flip side, too low of a BB and you'll get pedal strike on off-camber or super-rutty conditions.

Belgian Knee Warmers has a good write-up on this. Different CX manufacturers use different philosophies on this. All I could figure out was the BB drop varied, but was no lower than a road bike of the same size.
I think it really depends on the region.

Here in St. Louis we don't run courses that would put you at a disadvantage with a road-height or lower BB. In fact, some of the short-track XC courses could even be tackled with a cross bike.
Old 07-03-08, 09:18 AM
LWaB

Bikes: Early Cannondale tandem, '99 S&S Frezoni Audax, '65 Moulton Stowaway, '52 Claud Butler, TSR30, Brompton

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The one point not mentioned yet seems to be light weight. A lot of current CX-labelled bikes have quite heavy frames. I recall when CX frames tried to be lighter than road frames.
Old 07-03-08, 11:17 AM
flargle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by c_m_shooter
I would like to see some manufacturers off small and medium frames with 650B wheels, so I can ride trails without constantly worrying about toe overlap.
Tire and wheel availability is an issue with smaller wheels. I know some makers (DeSalvo, for example) design their smaller frames for 26" wheels, which gives you decent tire availability, although for cross not nearly as good as 700c. OTOH there are some very light wheel and tire options for cross-country racing, especially tubeless, that would work well for cross.
Old 07-03-08, 08:21 PM
sfcrossrider

Bikes: Steelman eurocross, Surly CrossCheck, IRO Rob Roy...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've ridden, and owned a lot of cx frames. None have ridden nearly as good as...https://www.steelmancycles.com/eurocross.html
Old 07-04-08, 03:46 AM
dragonmg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Disc brakes are outlawed in UCI-sanctioned road and cross races.
... only in the pro mens and womens races that is. For all other categories they are legal at UCI events.
Old 07-04-08, 05:23 AM
mrtornadohead
dork. yup.

Bikes: Trek xo2, Fuji Cross Pro, Schwinn Traveler cross-conversion, Concours, Trek 2300, Takara, Specialized Hard Rock, Bianchi Campione D'Italia, GT LTS Team issue, BikeE, Miyata 110, and some others. Somewhere.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rankin116
I thought that's what was normal with internal cable routing. At least on my old Trek's you ran cable + housing thru the top tube. I think it can be done with minimal amount of internal-crap buildup. Perhaps rubber grommets at entry/exits?

But back to what makes a true 'cross bike... I think Surly and Riv have it right with the 132.5 spacing. Run whatever wheels you want. As for braze-ons for racks, fenders. I think they are nice to have but would be out of place on a true, dedicated cross bike. I vote for the lower bottom bracket but I haven't run a lot of courses, let alone outside of the midwest. That said, I will probably be running the frames *with* the braze ons as I am certainly not to the point of being competitive enough to purchase such a dedicated race frame.
Old 07-04-08, 05:41 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by carlfreddy
Why?

You're thinking more like a roadie. Remember, more than half the time a cross bike is used off road. The high BB also keeps you from from getting the crank stuck on ruts.
Old 07-04-08, 11:04 AM
dirtyphotons
antisocialite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
bb height's a tradeoff. lower bb makes for easier and quicker mounts.
Old 07-04-08, 11:06 AM
flargle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cs1
You're thinking more like a roadie. Remember, more than half the time a cross bike is used off road. The high BB also keeps you from from getting the crank stuck on ruts.
You're thinking more like a mountain biker. Remember, the original reason for the high bottom bracket had nothing to do with clearing "ruts", but to prevent toeclips (i.e. "mudcatchers") from dragging on the ground during dismounts and remounts.

https://www.belgiumkneewarmers.com/2007/12/how-high.html
Old 07-05-08, 09:40 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
You're thinking more like a mountain biker.
Touche!
Old 07-05-08, 11:03 AM
the Repeater
Life champion

Bikes: Klein Q-Pro, '78 Gazelle cross, parts strewth.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Having tried both, the lower BB has worked far better for me, both for climbing and being able to quickly ride sharp turns by steering the bike, whereas a frame built higher requires more lean angle--a disadvantage in sharp turns as traction and control suffers.