Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Where do you find 700x32 tires?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-08, 07:17 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts

Arrgh! I have been searching without luck for 700x32 tires online. Granted, I'm looking for either (1) Specialized Borough CX Armadillo Elite, or (2) Vittoria Randonneur Pro (just about any tread pattern), but I haven't found anyone online or in an LBS who stocks those tires in that size. Even Specialized doesn't have them on their online website.

Does anyone know a good online source?
Old 09-24-08, 08:01 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Specialized restricts online sales. Try at retail.

I have heard that these are sold out.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 09-25-08 at 06:53 AM.
Old 09-24-08, 08:12 PM
darksiderising

Bikes: Pake track, Soma DoubleCross, LeMond Etape, Maruishi RoadAce 303

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know you've been into a bike shop, but have you asked to see what they can order? If you're going to order online, why not order from your LBS?
Old 09-24-08, 09:17 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

I've been to LBS's in Tennessee and Illinois. All would have to order -- and Specialized is out of stock. If I end up ordering, I'll go with Vittoria. Nobody is committing to a quick turnaround on Vittoria, either.
Old 09-24-08, 09:20 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

I hate to threadjack my own thread, but how many gazillion more tires would Specialized sell if they allowed online sales of TIRES? Just tires? I can understand restricting bicycle sales, but on components/tires, it's dumb.

They are missing a huge opportunity. If I ran the place, I would fire whoever is artificially keeping their tire numbers down this way. Inept management.
Old 09-24-08, 09:23 PM
markjenn

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
I hate to threadjack my own thread, but how many gazillion more tires would Specialized sell if they allowed online sales of TIRES? Just tires? I can understand restricting bicycle sales, but on components/tires, it's dumb.

They are missing a huge opportunity. If I ran the place, I would fire whoever is artificially keeping their tire numbers down this way. Inept management.
It's not that simple. Whether to support or restrict online sales of any item is a complex business decision and not just a matter of "selling more". For a consumer's POV, I don't like it either but it is their prerogative and they have a lot more information than we do about what's best for their business.

- mark
Old 09-24-08, 09:34 PM
telebianchi

Bikes: 2014/17 Trek Domane 5.2, 2003 Fuji Cross, 2019 Trek Fuel EX8 27.5 Plus, 2012 Raleigh XXIX single-speed, 2017 Access Gravel

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
The specific tire you are looking for is, as already know, out of stock.

But you can buy the full Specialized line of tires on line:
https://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqu...ce.jsp?eid=355
Old 09-24-08, 09:44 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Originally Posted by markjenn
It's not that simple. Whether to support or restrict online sales of any item is a complex business decision and not just a matter of "selling more". For a consumer's POV, I don't like it either but it is their prerogative and they have a lot more information than we do about what's best for their business.

- mark
True enough. But I am familiar with the usual legal, strategic, and economic reasons that companies restrict Internet sales. They all would apply to bicycle sales. There are a dozen good reasons for Specialized to restrict Internet sales of bicycles. But none of them apply to sales of these tires.

They wouldn't lose margin per unit -- their prices are consistent with those of other similar tires that are sold online. They would only increase the number of units sold.

They doubtless have a lot more information than we do. That doesn't mean they make smart decisions using that information.
Old 09-24-08, 10:52 PM
darksiderising

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
True enough. But I am familiar with the usual legal, strategic, and economic reasons that companies restrict Internet sales. They all would apply to bicycle sales. There are a dozen good reasons for Specialized to restrict Internet sales of bicycles. But none of them apply to sales of these tires.

They wouldn't lose margin per unit -- their prices are consistent with those of other similar tires that are sold online. They would only increase the number of units sold.

They doubtless have a lot more information than we do. That doesn't mean they make smart decisions using that information.
I think it has to do with the fact that Specialized is a bike shop brand name, which means that the companies that sell their products are "dealers." These dealers would not be too happy if Specialized was selling to them as well as the general public. It's a pretty common thing in the retail industry.
Old 09-25-08, 05:41 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Originally Posted by darksiderising
I think it has to do with the fact that Specialized is a bike shop brand name, which means that the companies that sell their products are "dealers." These dealers would not be too happy if Specialized was selling to them as well as the general public. It's a pretty common thing in the retail industry.
You don't understand.

Specialized DOES sell the tires to the general public online. (But they're out of stock.) And while Specialized is allowed to sell online, Specialized dealers ARE NOT allowed to sell them, except in their stores. Specialized dealers can't sell online and cannot ship the tires to a buyer who calls them on the telephone!

It's absurd. They've created their own bottleneck. And a dealer might be right if he/she says they do it to stick it to their own dealers. Specialized has set themselves up as the ONLY online source of Specialized tires. Their dealers are not allowed to compete in the biggest segment of the bicycle tire market!
Old 09-25-08, 06:57 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
The benefit to Specialized and its partners is that better margins are seen in the entire supply chain to the consumer. To sustain this, the products must be in demand. Specialized has both the product quality & marketing ability to make this work. Yes, the consumer pays more and supply in constrained.

Its called: supply & demand.

Michael
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 09-25-08, 08:26 AM
darksiderising

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And while Specialized is allowed to sell online, Specialized dealers ARE NOT allowed to sell them, except in their stores. Specialized dealers can't sell online and cannot ship the tires to a buyer who calls them on the telephone!
Have you tried seeing if a dealer can special order them for you in the store? It would seem that it would be the whole purpose of being a "dealer."

Also: maybe Specialized products just aren't meant to be (not necessarily a bad thing). Go with the Continental Twister. 700x32 and a sweet tread.

EDIT: and Continental products come from QBP, and, chances are, most if not all of your LBSs get much of their products from QBP. Just ask (nicely) when they will be placing their next order.

Last edited by darksiderising; 09-25-08 at 08:31 AM.
Old 09-25-08, 09:51 AM
Saddle Up
I Love My Dream

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You don't understand.

Specialized DOES sell the tires to the general public online. (But they're out of stock.) And while Specialized is allowed to sell online, Specialized dealers ARE NOT allowed to sell them, except in their stores. Specialized dealers can't sell online and cannot ship the tires to a buyer who calls them on the telephone!

It's absurd. They've created their own bottleneck. And a dealer might be right if he/she says they do it to stick it to their own dealers. Specialized has set themselves up as the ONLY online source of Specialized tires. Their dealers are not allowed to compete in the biggest segment of the bicycle tire market!
Where does this info come from? I'll tell you what PM me and I'll give you my store's phone # then you can call me and I'll sell you some tires and anything else Specialized makes and ship it right to your door. Specialized does not control how retailers conduct business dispite the false rumurs that they do.
Old 09-25-08, 11:03 AM
ThreLittleBirds

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...kking%2FHybrid

Vittoria Randonneur Pro Touring Folding Tire

700X35 (ISO 622-37) 120tpi, 430g
https://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...5%20Cyclocross
Vittoria Cross Xg Pro Tire Silver

700x32. 350 grams
Old 09-25-08, 01:39 PM
kennykaos
sweathogs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
a bike shop
Old 09-25-08, 05:30 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Originally Posted by Saddle Up
Where does this info come from? I'll tell you what PM me and I'll give you my store's phone # then you can call me and I'll sell you some tires and anything else Specialized makes and ship it right to your door. Specialized does not control how retailers conduct business dispite the false rumurs that they do.
Where does it come from? From three (3) Specialized dealers -- one in Nashville, one in Chicago, one in New York. They all offered to order the tires for me. They all said it could be a long time -- since Specialized is out of them. They all said I would have to send somebody to pick the tires up at the store in person. They all said they could not ship tires to a customer who bought over the phone or Internet.
Old 09-25-08, 05:32 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Right tire in the wrong size.
Wrong tire in the right size.
Old 09-25-08, 05:36 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Originally Posted by Barrettscv
The benefit to Specialized and its partners is that better margins are seen in the entire supply chain to the consumer. To sustain this, the products must be in demand. Specialized has both the product quality & marketing ability to make this work. Yes, the consumer pays more and supply in constrained.

Its called: supply & demand.

Michael
Smart guy! Well, at least you didn't skip the first day of economics class.

And it would be true in this instance if Specialized were taking advantage of it. Unfortunately for them, they are pricing their product as if the supply were not constrained. Their products aren't priced any higher than those who have a free and open channel of supply. (And this is a big part of what I've been talking about. Apparently, somebody at Specialized DID skip the first day of economics class.)

You can look at it one of two ways . . . either their prices are too low given their constrained supply . . . or their supply is too constrained given the level of demand at their set price.
Old 09-26-08, 06:22 AM
arctic hawk

Bikes: 2001 Trek XO1, 2009 Ridley Crossbow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

They are great rolling tires BUT hell on earth to get on & eventually off the rim. I had them on Shimano wheels (WH-6500) as well as Mavics rims (MA-3)... lots of cursing involved & a serious amount of time as well. They certainly did not puncture, on the otherhand
Old 09-26-08, 07:13 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Originally Posted by arctic hawk

They are great rolling tires BUT hell on earth to get on & eventually off the rim. I had them on Shimano wheels (WH-6500) as well as Mavics rims (MA-3)... lots of cursing involved & a serious amount of time as well. They certainly did not puncture, on the otherhand
Were yours the wire bead or the folding? I understand the wire bead are pretty tough to mount.
Old 09-26-08, 09:32 AM
arctic hawk

Bikes: 2001 Trek XO1, 2009 Ridley Crossbow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mine were wire bead. At the time, I don't think they had folding or were unavailable.
Never went back to them again because if I ever flatted, I would have been walking...
Old 09-26-08, 09:51 AM
ThreLittleBirds

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Right tire in the wrong size.
Wrong tire in the right size.
well if you wana get all picky about it:

https://cahabacycles.com/itemdetails.cfm?id=9836

https://www.bikesomewhere.com/bikesom.../44/3506/14902

Last edited by ThreLittleBirds; 09-26-08 at 09:54 AM.
Old 09-26-08, 07:46 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Thanks!
Old 09-26-08, 07:53 PM
duffetta 

Bikes: 2021 Giant Revolt Advanced Pro 1, 2019 AllCity Macho Man commuter, 2015 Fuji Gran Fondo Shimano 105

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bikesomewhere

I just bought a pair of Vittoria Randonneur 700 x 32c wire bead with reflective sidewalls from Bikesomewhere.com. Great tires for city commute.
Old 09-27-08, 06:44 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

I want to avoid wire bead if I can. They're quite a bit heavier than the folding bead, plus they are harder to mount/remove. Plus, aren't the wire bead a 60 tpi tire compared to the 120 tpi of the folding (I could be wrong on that last point).

What are the advantages (besides availability and price) of the wire bead tires?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.