Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Gravel tires for a road bike

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-18, 10:42 AM
IchbinJay

Bikes: Cannondale Slate 105 (2017)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Gravel tires for a road bike

I randomly came across these tires on the internet the other day:

https://www.amazon.com/Panaracer-Gra...O?pageNumber=2

Anyone have any experience with them? I couldn't find many reviews or pictures through Google. I'd love to see how they look mounted on a typical road frame. I'd also love to hear how they handle on gravel/dirt roads. Thanks in advance!
Old 08-17-18, 11:00 AM
Facanh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by IchbinJay

I couldn't find many reviews or pictures through Google
Well, if I click on your link I see 44 reviews for a start...

GravelKing SKs are one of the most popular gravel tyres, these are the slick version.

How do they handle gravel and dirt roads? Just like your current tiny slick road tyres, because these are just tiny slick tyres too. Don't expect much. They also come in larger sizes like 700x40 or 650x47, that's a different story of course.

If you can fit a 32 go with the SKs, that's the smallest they come in. But even these are only really good for super smooth gravel, but better than a 25-28 road tyre. Simply not enough air volume and you can't run them at properly low pressures. They still fly on asphalt tho. (I have 43 SKs as my main tyres and use the 32 SKs with fenders in the winter.)

I'm not sure why would Panaracer call a 26c slick tyre "GravelKing".

Last edited by Facanh; 08-17-18 at 11:35 AM.
Old 08-17-18, 11:14 AM
MPE

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I have run the Gravel King file cuts in 38 mm. They ride nice on pavement and smooth gravel. Just don't push them too hard on gravel turns. I have used them on a century road ride and a couple of 30+ mile gravel rides. I prefer the Gravel King SK for gravel. They instill a little more confidence when turning. I have been running the GKSK on the road lately and they do ok. Not as fast as the file tread, but I don't feel like changing them since I am running them tubeless.
Old 08-17-18, 01:33 PM
IchbinJay

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Facanh

How do they handle gravel and dirt roads? Just like your current tiny slick road tyres, because these are just tiny slick tyres too. Don't expect much.
My bad, I was actually trying to ask about the 26c SK version. It's a 26c with knobs, which seems cool.
Old 08-17-18, 02:49 PM
IchbinJay

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Here's more what I was thinking:

https://hikeplus.blogspot.com/2017/03/sk.html
Old 08-17-18, 02:50 PM
Facanh

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My bad, I was actually trying to ask about the 26c SK version. It's a 26c with knobs, which seems cool.
Haha, I didn't even know the SKs came in 26c, so ignore some things I said... But based on my experience with the 32 SKs and bigger road tyres I still think 26mm is waaaaaay too small for any kind of offroad riding, unless you want to ride very very short segments, or you enjoy torturing yourself. Again, just not enough air volume.
But I can see the 26c SKs as awesome winter road tyres, that's what I bought my 32s for. All size SKs are very fast on pavement, and my 32s have way more grip on wet asphalt compared to pretty much every slick or slick-ish tyre i've tried, even compared to some wider ones. They're not mud tyres but on damp dirt roads or light snow the traction difference is even bigger.
Old 08-17-18, 02:52 PM
IchbinJay

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Yes, I agree with the width issue. Ideally, I would just have a cross/gravel bike but I'm trying to keep my quiver small.
Old 08-20-18, 11:13 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Wait what?? There's a 26c SK?? SInce when? Your amazon link is for the 26c non-sk as far as I can tell.
Old 08-20-18, 11:17 AM
shoota 

That being said I can't imagine using a 26mm tire on gravel. Hell no, that's way too narrow.
Old 08-20-18, 02:09 PM
IchbinJay

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
Wait what?? There's a 26c SK?? SInce when? Your amazon link is for the 26c non-sk as far as I can tell.
I posted a link to the SK version later in the thread; the first one was a mistake.
Old 08-20-18, 02:12 PM
IchbinJay

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
That being said I can't imagine using a 26mm tire on gravel. Hell no, that's way too narrow.
The thing is, one time when I rode D2R2 I was with a guy riding 23c tires on a road bike. He had to go really slow through some of the 100k sections, but otherwise he seemed pretty stable. I'm wondering if these would be good enough on mostly flat dirt/broken pavement. I'd love to hear from people who've used them and have pictures. When I searched on Google, most of the pictures were from Japan and I couldn't read the reviews.
Old 08-20-18, 02:21 PM
shoota 

The thing is, one time when I rode D2R2 I was with a guy riding 23c tires on a road bike. He had to go really slow through some of the 100k sections, but otherwise he seemed pretty stable. I'm wondering if these would be good enough on mostly flat dirt/broken pavement. I'd love to hear from people who've used them and have pictures. When I searched on Google, most of the pictures were from Japan and I couldn't read the reviews.
I mean the difference between a 23c and 26c tire is... 1.5mm on each side. That ain't much. I think the reason you're having a hard time finding reviews or pics is because no one actually uses these. I really can't understand why Panaracer even makes them.
Old 08-20-18, 10:37 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
+1, I had no idea GravelKings were made in 26mm.

Sounds narrow, but that's what folks used to race cyclocross on.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-20-18, 11:36 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,525 Times in 3,027 Posts

SCHWALBE Marathon Mondial 700x35-40 best gravel tire very flat resistant. Now not a race tire if racing then look elsewhere. For consistency in gravel which means no flats, you can’t go wrong.

Old 08-20-18, 11:38 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,525 Times in 3,027 Posts
ps. Sorry for the animated letters I’m a blinded bat
Old 08-21-18, 07:14 AM
Facanh

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I know we don't have experience with these tyres, but it doesn't matter what kind of tyre it is, 26c is way too narrow. Don't let the small knobs fool you and think this is an offroad tyre by some miracle, the knobs can't make up for the lack of volume. Yes, you can ride rough stuff even on 23c, but it's simply torture. After a while your head will fall off your neck, your fillings will fall out, and that's no fun.

The roads where I live are terrible. In the past I also rode short dirt road segments on my road bike with 23, 25, 28, 30mm tyres (and now 32mm GK SKs in the winter on my gravel bike). It sucks, big time.

Now, even if I wouldn't ride gravel or dirt, only the horrible paved roads we have here, I wouldn't have a bike with anything smaller than a 35-38mm tyre. The difference is night and day compared to even a 30mm.

If you can't fit anything bigger, I would only go with the 26c GK SK if you're looking for a wet weather/winter road tyre.

If you have 23-25mm tyres on your road bike hop on it and go ride some dirt roads. That's how the 26c SKs would feel too.
Old 08-21-18, 07:23 AM
veloz

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
I tried the Graveling 32 SK's (Small Knobs). True to size, they were stone slingers and sometimes collected sticky mud. I liked them but wanted something fatter. The 35's run too wide (~38) for my clearance. Instead I've been running Pasela 35's which are fine on gravel and great everywhere but mud. Just finished a nearly 300mi loaded tour on gravel and mud with no complaints. The Pasela 35's measure 36+ on a 19mm ID rim.
Old 08-21-18, 07:34 AM
Facanh

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by veloz
I tried the Graveling 32 SK's (Small Knobs). True to size, they were stone slingers and sometimes collected sticky mud. I liked them but wanted something fatter. The 35's run too wide (~38) for my clearance. Instead I've been running Pasela 35's which are fine on gravel and great everywhere but mud. Just finished a nearly 300mi loaded tour on gravel and mud with no complaints. The Pasela 35's measure 36+ on a 19mm ID rim.
A tyre with tightly spaced small knobs will always pack up with mud. If you want traction and mud clearing you need loosely spaced bigger knobs.

Old 08-27-18, 09:46 PM
McMitchell

Bikes: Focus Mares CX, Rocky Moutain Sherpa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

l
This is actually a Cyclocross bike. I am running WTB Nano 700-40c. Maybe the picture will give you an idea what the tires look like. This bike now has a carbon fiber riser bar and grip shifters. Working on getting a SRAM Eagle GX group set on it.

Last edited by McMitchell; 08-27-18 at 09:51 PM.
Old 08-29-18, 03:09 AM
Facanh

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by McMitchell
This is actually a Cyclocross bike. I am running WTB Nano 700-40c. Maybe the picture will give you an idea what the tires look like. This bike now has a carbon fiber riser bar and grip shifters. Working on getting a SRAM Eagle GX group set on it.
I'm sorry but first this has nothing to do with the thread, second why would you buy a drop bar bike that takes big tyres then spend a bunch of money to convert it to flat bars?
Old 08-29-18, 08:03 AM
shoota 

Originally Posted by Facanh
I'm sorry but first this has nothing to do with the thread, second why would you buy a drop bar bike that takes big tyres then spend a bunch of money to convert it to flat bars?
Lol. I almost wrote that yesterday but decided not to. But seriously.
Old 08-29-18, 07:47 PM
McMitchell

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not sure why my post is not valid. The discussion was regarding wider tires on a road bike. A “Cyclocross” bike may not be a road bike but it shares many traits. I was simply trying to show the OP the furtherest extreme of tire size being discussed. Not sure why my post is being objected to? The OP asked about gravel tires, I believe the tires I showed are gravel tires within the parameters of discussion. The post is in the gravel bike section. Some people convert road bikes for gravel riding, others convert Cyclocross bikes for gravel rides.....both bikes are often “hybridized” to meet local conditions.

I am 69 years old. I live on gravel roads with steep hills in the GA Mtns. The cyclocross bike did not have the gear range I need to climb the steep hills I ride. 30 years of white water, catching dogs on a sleeve and two car accidents have not been kind to my back, but I still ride.

Last edited by McMitchell; 08-29-18 at 08:06 PM.
Old 08-30-18, 02:25 AM
Facanh

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The OP asked if anyone has experience with the 26c Panaracer GravelKing SKs.

You can ride whatever you want, it just doesn't make sense to me why you would spend the extra money to convert a cyclocross bike to straight bars, when you could have just bought a straight bar bike in the first place like a fitness/hybrid/trekking etc. or even a MTB.
Old 08-30-18, 07:35 AM
McMitchell

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Right Facanh, you brought up 700x40 tires in your post, immediately following the OP’s original post. One might wonder why you brought up the subject but object to someone else illustrating the same thing? I have a Rocky Mountain Sherpa MTB for rougher trails, listed in my bikes.

If you wanted to know why I was converting a bike to a more hybrid set up it might have been more appropriate to just ask, vs disparaging my post.

I was influenced by an old buddy who rode a very light street bike, largely on roads, who I thought I might be trying to “keep up with”. I have no desire to ride on the paved roads in and around Atlanta. I bought the bike to ride on the many bike paths and trails in and around Atlanta. I was living on a 12 acre Dog Park, with dog walking trails. I was riding with groups of working dogs, exercising myself and the dogs simultaniously.

Later we bought a new home in North, GA. There is a network of narrow, paved/sand & gravel covered roads, with tight turns. I want to ride with my wife who rides at a slower pace on here MTB, which is geared much lower. I need to be able to move at slow paces up hills when I am riding with her. There are long steep drops at the edges of the roads I will be riding, black bear roam the area. I am happier riding a bike I can exit quickly should the need arise. There may be sharing of bikes among family and friends who may have little or no experience.

I thought the purpose of this forum was to discuss bike builds and modifications for a variety of environments?

Last edited by McMitchell; 08-30-18 at 10:09 AM.
Old 08-30-18, 08:49 AM
McMitchell

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Maybe the OP would find a YouTube video done by GCN entitled “The Truth About Wide Tyres and Wide Rims On Road Bikes” interesting. They discuss recent research which may challenge more conventional wisdom regarding tire and rim width.

Last edited by McMitchell; 08-30-18 at 09:47 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.