Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

when do you venture back outside on a bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-19, 08:43 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts

for those that take a winter break from outdoor cycling, when do you look forward to getting out again? is there a temperature milestone? a simple calendar date?
Old 03-05-19, 08:52 AM
mattbur

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Sirrus, 2016 Surly Disc Trucker, 800 MTB for winter use

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Typically I'd already been out. The roads are open well enough to ride. But I got frostbite on my foot early January and am waiting for that to heal up a bit more before I try it again in this cold weather. This morning we had 4 degs. brrrr

How about you??

Tony
Old 03-05-19, 09:46 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
I never take a winter break from cycling.

Fall/Winter and part of spring is the time I mt. bike. No ticks or poison ivy. If there's no snow and the conditions are frozen dirt, it's terrific riding down to about 12 degrees (my tolerance level). I think I averaged twice per week since mid November.

Right now though and after 4 snow storms of coatings, it's a mess on the trails, so I will road ride. My tolerance is about 25 degrees, but road conditions dependent.

Helps to have appropriate clothing and this year I invested in Lake winter boots, so my feet are warm for the first time in decades.

I AM looking forward to warm weather though.
Old 03-05-19, 09:48 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
Got to have sniffle gear to be real hard core. I've been out in some really cold stuff just to be "that guy"
Old 03-05-19, 09:56 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Not so much temperature but road/path conditions are the determining factor for me. I won't ride on/in snow/ice. Once the ice/snow is definitely gone, I'm back out -- every day. Typically that will happen some time in March -- so this year, soon! By the end of March any snowfall we get usually does not result in any kind of build-up.

Once the roads/paths ice up again, I stop. Typically that happens in late December/early January.

If retirement plans work out, back 'home' to SE Vancouver Island, putting an end to this 'seasonal cycling' nonsense.
Old 03-05-19, 10:07 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
Originally Posted by mattbur
frostbiteHow about you?
yikes! how did that happen? did you see a doctor? what is the prognosis? hope you don't have any permanent damage! I have terrible foot circulation, my feet get cold just sitting at my work desk. but I've actually been riding thru the winter. I use sock liners, winter socks & chemical hand warmers taped in between. then I put on regular winter boots

was asking that general question, cuz I was just curious. forum traffic falls off a lot after Thanksgiving. looking forward to more "shares" when ppl start riding again!
Old 03-05-19, 10:12 AM
TheRef

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Living in Chicago land far west suburbs one learns real quick to adapt. I try to get out a few times during the winter as long as there is no snow/ice covering the roads and temps are not under 25f. Spring around here can be miserable with lots of cold rain and very windy. Sometimes I get more rides in the middle of the winter than early spring. It can be May before the weather break for the better... if I were to wait for that I'd be crazy.
Old 03-05-19, 10:17 AM
luevelvet

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Jari 1.5, 2019 Trek Domane SL5

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Living in Florida, it's been great weather for cycling almost all winter.
Old 03-05-19, 10:19 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
I ride all winter, though 25 degrees is my bottom. I just can't do it colder than that.

I had the flu in mid February and that shut me down for riding for 2 weeks. Now that I can ride again I'm probably going to just sit out this last cold week of winter as it's supposed to jump into the 60's next week.
Old 03-05-19, 10:38 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Yeah, I'm a wuss. I quit riding for several months even though my winter temps here are sweltering compared to some of the temps many of you others must be riding in. Partly it's just that I don't want to spend the time to get decent winter wear for cycling. And partly that daylight is gone so early and I don't care to make it a habit to ride in the dark. I'll cycle if it's above 55° F (13°C) and a gorgeous day. 65° plus and I'm happy.
Old 03-05-19, 11:26 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
I live in a resort area, southeast coastal Delaware, that is very busy in spring and fall, and extremely busy in the summer months. It is also a pretty temperate area where winters usually have a lot of nice riding weather and not that much snow, ice and extremely cold temperatures. We do normally get a lot of rain and high winds during the winter season, but usually have a lot of fair weather in between those weather fronts. October through April is when I most enjoy biking where I live.
Old 03-05-19, 11:38 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Not until the ice is off the roads. It's not supposed to get above freezing until the middle of March, and they're already predicting more snow before that happens. So who knows?
Old 03-05-19, 12:07 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18419 Post(s)
Liked 15,560 Times in 7,332 Posts
High 40s for commuting/errands. Upper 50s for road riding. I have become a cold weather wimp unless I am our touring somewhere pretty. I have Good Friday off, so my benchmark spring goal is to have enough miles under my belt by Easter to do a three-day tour, even if it's only a flat route. Weather has no cooperated the last few years. I usually take a two-week tour out west in mid-June, so I need to be ready by then.
Old 03-05-19, 12:10 PM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
when the breakdown lanes are free of snow and ice bumps.
Old 03-05-19, 12:11 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
For me usually when the temperature gets up to around 50 F. Yes, I'm a cold weather weenie, to me it's no fun riding in 20 degree weather with 15 MPH winds making the wind chill make me wish I'd stayed indoors. So during winter months I'll spin on my trainer. But it's nowhere near as enjoyable as being outside and actually riding.

We did have a couple nice days in January and maybe a couple more in February, so I did get a few miles in this year so far.

Last edited by Milton Keynes; 03-05-19 at 12:14 PM.
Old 03-05-19, 12:24 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I ride outdoors all year long, but only road bike (i.e. take long rides out on hilly rural roads) in certain conditions...so I'll play

For me, it has more to do with the road conditions than any particular date or temperature:
1) Most snow melted from roads, a chance of black ice: Road cycling on gravel bike with studs.
2) Snow and ice melted, roads still covered with salt/sand from winter: Road cycling on gravel bike with gravel tires.
3) Snow and ice melted, spring rains have washed away winter salt/sand: Actual road cycling on a road bike!

Here in western Wisconsin, this means that my "road" season usually begins in February or March (with numerous interruptions, as it will snow through April), and the princess road bike usually does not hit the streets until early May
Old 03-05-19, 12:43 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
I rode through December no problem. I've ridden once outdoors since.

I hope to get out tomorrow. It's going to be messy.
Old 03-05-19, 12:47 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
I prefer it to be about 60 and up with NO RAIN. I am the embodiment of fair weather cycling.

Last edited by Doctor Morbius; 03-05-19 at 12:50 PM.
Old 03-05-19, 01:29 PM
mattbur

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Sirrus, 2016 Surly Disc Trucker, 800 MTB for winter use

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
yikes! how did that happen? did you see a doctor? what is the prognosis? hope you don't have any permanent damage!
Out snow blowing the driveway without the proper boots on. Noticed a bit of chill but figured I could also get the path down to the woodpile opened up. Then, as long as I had that done I should probably get a path over to the barn opened up as well. Well, I way over did it. No permanent damage and only affected skin deep...no solid tissue damage. And most important, nothing that won't heal up.
Old 03-05-19, 01:31 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
I've found it does me no good to go out when the temp is below about 30 F; some part of me gets too cold too soon. It used to be my feet, but I just got some new insulated boots, so then it'll be my fingers. Pavement must be clear for the most part.

And, I have to pry myself away from this computer ... that's frequently the hardest part.
Old 03-05-19, 01:35 PM
WaveyGravey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 88 Posts
I am also a fair weather cyclist. Never in the rain.

I commute about 4 miles every morning as long as temps are not below upper 20's. For road biking my lower limit is 55.
Old 03-05-19, 02:09 PM
bikejrff

Bikes: No. 22 Bicycle Great Divide, Lynskey R260, Salsa Colossal Ti, Litespeed T5, Lynskey Peloton, Bianchi Vigorelli, CAAD 10, Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, C-Dale Quick 1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 18 Posts
I cheated, spent Jan/Feb in Florida panhandle & rode 1500 miles. Now that I am back in Indiana am waiting for dry roads and sunshine. I'll do 20-30 mile rides with temps in the mid 40's as long as it is not too windy.
Old 03-05-19, 02:18 PM
ddeand 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 46 Posts
Because of my age and a couple health concerns (Dr. insists I don’t crash), I can’t ride during the winter - no fat tire biking for me. Here in Minnesota, that means that the roads have to be totally clear of ice and snow. I’m also more comfortable if the temps are above 40 degrees. Right now, we’ve had 63 inches of snow this winter with 24 inches still on the ground, and it’s 16 degrees out there (heat wave). Sooooo . . . I guess that means I’ll be back out sometime in mid-July! ��
Old 03-05-19, 03:10 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
As far as road riding goes.... once the snow and wet salt is gone and it is at leat 38-40 degrees. I’ll ride my commuter all winter if I need to as long as the roads are not covered in snow but that is a pretty short distance.

Mountain biking.... I’ll ride once the winter thaw mud is dried up. That varies a lot year to year. Though in the dead of winter I am riding my fat bike on the frozen snow and ground.
Old 03-05-19, 03:22 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
I ride all winter, though 25 degrees is my bottom. I just can't do it colder than that.
That's about the same for me. I'll go colder if the wind is calm but that rarely seems to happen. Today was 22 with 15 mph winds. Off to the pain room.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.