Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How to tell if cassette is worn off a bike?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-19, 03:41 PM
JeffOYB

Bikes: Uh... road, mtb, tour, CX (kludged), 3spd, 'bent, tandem, folder (the fam has another, what, 8)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I am looking at a bunch of used wheels and I'm wondering if any of the cassettes are not too worn for a new chain. Is there an easy way to test a cassette to check if it is worn or not. If I installed one on my bike I would find out right away because the chain would skip. I want to save time
Old 04-08-19, 04:15 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
It's always a good idea to look at Sheldon Brown.
Here's another Video:
Old 04-08-19, 04:15 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Rohloff HG sprocket tester

Likes For fietsbob:
Old 04-08-19, 07:57 PM
JeffOYB

Bikes: Uh... road, mtb, tour, CX (kludged), 3spd, 'bent, tandem, folder (the fam has another, what, 8)

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
I've heard of this tool. Any way to do this trick without this tool or without a tool? I'm thinking i'll give it a try just by pullling on a length of chain across some cog teeth and see if the end of the chain catches or not.
Old 04-08-19, 08:05 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4198 Post(s)
Liked 3,850 Times in 2,300 Posts
The HG Checker is less black or white then the methods of measuring a worn chain. As example, IIRC, it is only applicable of cogs smaller then 21 teeth (or so). How strongly the last "special" roller catches on the last tooth's top is very dependent on how strongly you pull on it. I use one nearly every day I work yet I still only use it as an indicator, not a determinate. If time savings is your highest priority then just replace the cassettes with the new chain. Otherwise do the test with actual riding under significant pedal pressure. Andy
Old 04-08-19, 08:17 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Unless the cassette is really new, you should just price in a new one when negotiating price. You are buying a USED bike. Brake pads etc. also will be worn. No one upgrades or replaces everything and then sells the bike. People sell the bike because they anticipate expensive replacements coming up.

One thing you can do is measure the chain. if it has more than 0.5% (or extremely more), the owner didn't replace it in time and you can assume the entire drivetrain is worn out unless it really looks good or it can be proven it was replaced before.

Don't rely on what the seller claims. Every CL bike here was recently "professionally tuned up"
Old 04-09-19, 05:27 AM
JeffOYB

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I'd really like to be able to get a sense of how worn a cassette is. Maybe not possible.

My angle is that I help out at a Bike Co-op. We get a lot of wheels and loose cassettes donated to us. It wd be neat to see how fresh the cogs are, or aren't. When they're really worn i can visually tell. ...When a complete bike is donated w chain we can measure the chain-stretch. ...I wish donors wd add a note to loose items about amount of wear. We can match a light-wear chain w light-wear cassette. We resell a lot of bikes for $100 and don't want to take a lot of time matching things up. Nor do we want to put a lot of fresh/new parts on if we don't have to.

It's fine that the tool only goes up to 21. The skipping cogs are basically always smaller than that.

i suppose we'll just get the tool. i just wondered if there was a handy trick.
Old 04-09-19, 08:30 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4198 Post(s)
Liked 3,850 Times in 2,300 Posts
As mentioned looking at the teeth shape is the quickest way to get a feel. But one needs to see a lot of new and worn teeth to begin to get a good idea of visible wear. Just like having the HG Checker will give you one more data point. It's the using one AND then following through with a judgement and discover the results (the test ride) that is the trick. Being in a Bike Coop will give you all kinds of bikes to learn on. Andy
Old 04-09-19, 09:43 AM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
The HG Checker is less black or white then the methods of measuring a worn chain. As example, IIRC, it is only applicable of cogs smaller then 21 teeth (or so). How strongly the last "special" roller catches on the last tooth's top is very dependent on how strongly you pull on it. I use one nearly every day I work yet I still only use it as an indicator, not a determinate. If time savings is your highest priority then just replace the cassettes with the new chain. Otherwise do the test with actual riding under significant pedal pressure. Andy
Having also used the tool extensively, I concur.

KMC makes an easier to get, less expensive version, but I would point out: it has a tendency to slip, since the lever portion isn't machined to hold on a tooth shape, like it is on the Rohloff. Without the handle, it fits nicely in a travelling bag, but it isn't a better tool than the original. You can punch out the 9 speed chain that is on the Rohloff and replace it with 11, if that is your bag. Use a Shimano chain and one of their pins, driven in with a 1/8" punch.
Old 12-15-20, 09:22 PM
Biagiokai

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sram 11 speed mtb cassete

I just got my bike and watched some videos on worn cassette and my looks slightly worn on the smaller rings. A couple teeth are shark fin in total. If it shifts totally fine is there a need to replace anything?
Old 12-15-20, 09:35 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Shifting doesn't mean a thing. Go ride your bike, push hard on the pedals...seated. Does the chain jump?
Old 12-15-20, 09:39 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by Biagiokai
I just got my bike and watched some videos on worn cassette and my looks slightly worn on the smaller rings. A couple teeth are shark fin in total. If it shifts totally fine is there a need to replace anything?
You can always invest in an identical cassette and compare the two directly. It won't be a loss as you will need to replace the current one sooner or later anyway. Telling the wear without experience or reference can be a challenge as the teeth are normally shaped intentionally in various ways to ease the shifting.
Old 12-15-20, 09:42 PM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
Here is a basic idea, goto about 3:30 or ¾ into it

Last edited by grizzly59; 12-15-20 at 09:46 PM.
Old 12-15-20, 09:49 PM
Biagiokai

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sram cassette

It seems to be in good shape for the next while. Any idea how much a new chain, cassette, chairing replacement would be with labour? 300ish?