Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Done your spring maintenance yet?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-19, 09:05 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts

I usually do that some weekend when I can do mine, the GFs and another friend's bikes all at the same time. I hadn't gotten to that yet this year, but did manage to change the oil in all the cars on Saturday. I should have done the bicycles too, this morning as I was putting air in the tires I noticed some loose spokes in the front wheel and by the time I quit trying to get it good enough to get me to work and back I'd managed to get the wheel out of round enough to hit the brake. So I got to drive today, and will have to deal with this problem later.
Old 05-06-19, 11:58 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
The springs on my bikes don’t really need much maintenance.
Old 05-06-19, 12:21 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
I tend to do a lot of that over winter, when I'm otherwise bored and fidgety. The fixed-gear gets maintained on a when-needed basis, and the other stuff doesn't need much apart from cleaning and chain lube.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-06-19, 12:34 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 1,210 Posts
I was going to do some maintenance this weekend, but I never got a Round Tuit. Saturday it was too far to the garage with all that rain, and Sunday it stopped raining so I got to ride. Poor me!
Old 05-06-19, 12:59 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
I was going to do some maintenance this weekend, but I never got a Round Tuit. Saturday it was too far to the garage with all that rain, and Sunday it stopped raining so I got to ride. Poor me!
Those Round Tuits are always in short supply!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-06-19, 01:27 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Been meaning to give one of my bikes a thorough cleaning for two years now. Problem is I live in an apartment, so that would mean the bathtub, which isn't ideal (I've tried it with other bikes). So that bike is pretty dirty, but the bearings have been freshly cleaned and lubed, and the cables are fresh. I can live with that.
Old 05-06-19, 01:38 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor?
...by the time I quit trying to get it good enough to get me to work and back I'd managed to get the wheel out of round enough to hit the brake. So I got to drive today, and will have to deal with this problem later.
BTDT... check out your rim for cracks. The looseness came from somewhere.

Because of my surgery recovery, I'm putting off my spring maintenance... til autumn! Bike needs a couple of chain links replaced so I'll probably just replace the whole chain. Have been planning a new rear tire though it's probably not really necessary. The tread isn't too far gone but I want one with a better compound that's "real" tubeless and doesn't seep.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 05-06-19, 02:10 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

I knew the odds of my getting it true enough to continue riding were slim, but knew it was better to try than not try knowing I was going to take a more thorough look at it later. I'm not sure how old the front wheel is, but I know I've had it for a while and it has some miles on it. It's only a matter of time until I need to go find somewhere local to replace Performance as my LBS, and this may be my motivation.
Old 05-06-19, 02:29 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
The hubs on my road bikes are all high quality and I've never had to service them. The hubs on my fixed gear commuter (two sets of wheels) are cheap and all need to be lubed. I'm not sure what I'll find, but I used to do loose ball bearing repacks all the time, so I hope they're like that.
Old 05-06-19, 03:23 PM
AusTexMurf

Bikes: 2010 Origin8 CX700, 2003 Cannondale Backroads Cross Country, 1997 Trek mtn steel frame converted commuter/tourer, 1983 Univega Sportour, 2010 Surly LHT, Others...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Me + wife + 4 kids, all with multiple bikes. Maintenance all year.
However, this spring...

92 Bridgestone MB3 got new Continental Traffic tires, new Kool Stop dual compound brake pads for canti's properly adjusted, new Blackburn racks front and rear, chain cleaned and waxed, and shifting dialed in.

91 Bridgestone MB4 got a new Schwalbe Hurricane front tire but left a Continental Travel Contact on rear to keep on rolling, new chain, brakes and shifting dialed in this spring. Smooth as silk, fits great, original SunTour XC Pro, my favorite bike I own. I have kept fresh chains on this bike for years and am still rocking the original Sugino chainrings, original and hard to replace freewheel, original shifters, etc.

Partner's 90's Specialized rigid mtn bike commuter got new Kenda Cross tires, new Kool Stop dual compound pads, clean and tuned drive train w/ fresh wax on chain.

Wife got a new to her beautiful 1982 Univega Safari mixte in April. Cleaned and tuned and ready to ride.

Oldest son has two 90's Specialized Rockhoppers but neither needed much if any work. I did put one new Schwalbe Hurricane tire up front and moved my other Continental Travel Contact to the rear of this bike this spring. Same very effective tire setup as my MB4. This bike could use brake pad replacement at some point.

Youngest two boys both have nice single speed BMX bikes that are usually good to go.
They both have 90's steel 24 inch mtn bikes w/ racks and well set up. They both got new Michelin tires last fall.
Nothing really needed except youngest got a new rechargeable headlight last week.

Our three dedicated touring bikes don't really need much until prep before heading out. Pretty much good to go, now.
My go to road bike could use a little fresh lube and correct tire pressure. Easy to do before next ride.

We are ready to roll going in to summer, here.
At least it will be hot in Texas.

Last edited by AusTexMurf; 05-06-19 at 03:29 PM.
Old 05-06-19, 03:50 PM
roashru

Bikes: sport touring with small front back baskets. 17 mph

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if routine preventive maintenance was done right shouldnt have many problems. riders that store bicycles during the winter should only need to check chain, tires, cables depending on quality may need lubed. lights with corroded batteries happens to me. loose spokes would be just a realized found issue.

Last edited by roashru; 05-06-19 at 03:54 PM.
Old 05-06-19, 04:48 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor?
I usually do that some weekend when I can do mine, the GFs and another friend's bikes all at the same time. I hadn't gotten to that yet this year, but did manage to change the oil in all the cars on Saturday. I should have done the bicycles too, this morning as I was putting air in the tires I noticed some loose spokes in the front wheel and by the time I quit trying to get it good enough to get me to work and back I'd managed to get the wheel out of round enough to hit the brake. So I got to drive today, and will have to deal with this problem later.
Nope. I address problems as they arise and all...all...of my bikes have sealed bearings for all bearings so I don't need to do anything.

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I tend to do a lot of that over winter, when I'm otherwise bored and fidgety. The fixed-gear gets maintained on a when-needed basis, and the other stuff doesn't need much apart from cleaning and chain lube.
I volunteer at a bicycle co-op here that has Fix Your Bike hours 3 days a week including 6 hours on Saturday (my shift). We have 6 stands and free tools usage in a relatively large shop area. I have never understood why we can have empty stands in the winter when the weather is too bad for riding but we a swamped when the weather warms up. On Saturdays, we can have as many as 6 people waiting for a stand. Why don't they come by in the winter? The weather is too nice to spend it working on bikes...says the guy who gives up nearly every Saturday!
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 05-06-19, 06:43 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
I usually do the Spring maintenance about two weekends before planning on starting my commute. If something needs changing, I have time to do it before I start my commute. The maintenance includes regreasing the hub's bearings, BB bearings, retensioning the spoke's tensions/trueing the wheels, degreasing/cleaning the derailleurs/cassette/chainrings, cleaning/oiling the brakes arms/lugs/seat post and finally check the cables for frills/stickiness.
Old 05-06-19, 08:19 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Not much for me to do. I hung up the winter wheels, still looking for a beater frame that I can put them on next winter. I check my bikes for problems whenever I have a reason to work on one, such as to fix a flat. That's usually often enough that nothing gets too far out of hand.
Old 05-06-19, 08:52 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Nope. I address problems as they arise and all...all...The weather is too nice to spend it working on bikes...!
Precisely, this is the way for year-rounders
Old 05-07-19, 07:46 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
I did some maintenance this weekend but it was more tweaking and upgrading. I added a Garmin mount to my road bike and swapped the tires to Continental GT4000s from the Cont. race tires that came on it in 2016. they looked okay but slightly flattened out. I relubed my chain on my commuter and tightened some nuts on my fenders because I had developed some sort of rattle. Rolling smooth and quiet now.
Old 05-07-19, 09:48 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Originally Posted by Archwhorides
Precisely, this is the way for year-rounders
One thing I learned when I rode motorcycles was that I could combine the benefits of a thorough check of things an reduce the likelihood of making dumb mistakes due to over exuberance by doing the annual maintenance that first nice weekend we had. Let the knotheads realize they were rusty after not riding during the winter by doing something stupid then was the way I looked at it, and I usually found a few things to take care of that I hadn't remembered from when I put the bike away for the winter.
Old 05-07-19, 02:21 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,427 Times in 2,534 Posts
I did a lot of maintenance last week, it was in the spring, but not because of it.

I had bought some bar tape and brake hoods, and thought I'd be able to just pop them on, but either I'm an idiot or there's no way to get brake hoods on except by taking the brakes off the bars completely and pulling them on from the back. In order to do that I (had to?) disconnect all my brake and shifter cables, and then wire everything back up again. Plus patch 3 of my 2 tubes, and while I was at it I swapped tires.

I'm a slow worker, it took me a solid 5 hours, and I didn't even have to redo much, except reopen that front tire to patch it again.

I didn't wash the frame though; I like my mud. It makes my bike look bad-as and also it protects the paint (right?)
Old 05-07-19, 03:38 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by RubeRad
I

I didn't wash the frame though; I like my mud. It makes my bike look bad-as and also it protects the paint (right?)
Mud makes a bike happy. Cow crap makes it even happier

DSCN1274 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

Of course if your bike was make of a metal that passivates itself and becomes somewhat impervious to corrosion, you wouldn't need paint!

IMG_3144 by Stuart Black, on Flickr
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-07-19, 03:48 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,427 Times in 2,534 Posts
yawp, I might get me some TIE tayneeum someday.

That scene looks familiar, is it from your Dinosaurs in Colorado set?
Old 05-07-19, 06:59 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by RubeRad
yawp, I might get me some TIE tayneeum someday.

That scene looks familiar, is it from your Dinosaurs in Colorado set?
No. It’s along my commute to Golden on Clear Creek in Wheatridge. I’ve posted it before. Taking the picture was a challenge. I had to get across the little gap on the left side of the picture. It’s actually about 4’ deep and runs really fast. And, damn, it was cold!

Old 05-07-19, 08:24 PM
AlmostGreenGuy
Intrepid Bicycle Commuter

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, Austro Daimler 'Ultima', 2012 Salsa Vaya, 2009 Trek 4300, Fyxation Eastside, State Matte Black 6, '97 Trek 930 SHX, '93 Specialized Rockhopper, 1990 Trek 950

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 34 Posts
Jubilé sat on the stand all winter long, getting worked on as I had time. Lots of love and a few upgrades as well. She did her first 2019 bike commute yesterday.

Old 05-08-19, 07:33 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
I should have done a bit more over the winter, but I commute when I can, and I've been busy moving (AZ to UT), so I'm waiting to get the new ride next month, then I'll tear my two wheeler down and give it a good going over.
Old 05-08-19, 08:42 AM
tclune

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I do my maintenance when I swap off the studded snows, so it was about a month ago.
Old 05-10-19, 05:37 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Some extra virgin olive oil has been applied.