Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Timbuk2 Vs. Chrome Bags

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Timbuk2 Vs. Chrome Bags

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-07, 10:10 PM
Imachad
Future Spike!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Timbuk2 Vs. Chrome Bags

Heres the deal. My backpack i got in 8th grade is on the fringe of death and i need (no, want) a new bag.
I can get a deal on the Timbuk2's, but i know the Chrome bags are sweet. I need your opinions.

Bring it on!
Old 03-11-07, 10:12 PM
colnago57

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Damn, you are just asking for people to sh*t bricks on your head. Do a search of the forum and you'll find plenty of answers as to why a Timbuk2 will fall apart.
Old 03-11-07, 10:12 PM
andre nickatina
not actually Nickatina

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
is this even a question? chrome no question.

but the grass is always greener on the otherside, and now i kind of want to sell my chrome and get a reload or bailey works.
Old 03-11-07, 10:19 PM
youth
slot machine

Bikes: 2006 Fuji Track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by andre nickatina
is this even a question? chrome no question.

but the grass is always greener on the otherside, and now i kind of want to sell my chrome and get a reload or bailey works.
funny, i have a very special place in my heart for my baileyworks superpro, but wouldn't mind getting a chrome bag either...

anyway, yeah. this topic has been done and done. where's the sage option when you need it
Old 03-11-07, 10:21 PM
bonechilling
Run What 'Ya Brung

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How long until this thread is locked? I'd say by
10 AM tomorrow morning.
Old 03-11-07, 10:23 PM
j-lie
Oh god it hurts!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
chrome has some problems but as long as you get the right size for the amount of stuff you carry you'll be happy with it.

problems:
1. don't hang around with people who are morons. they'll push the seatbelt button, and your stuff will break.
2. the bag opening is rectangular and is hard to load larger thing while you where it. this gets really annoying at hte grocery store.
3. plastic buckles break if you stop on them. it's happened to me on every bag i've owned though.
4. no place to hook a blinkie. you can sew one on though.
5. not a lot of reflective material.
6. extra storage is overly complicated with too many small pockets.

the plusses are pretty obvious and i love mine anyway.
Old 03-11-07, 10:49 PM
big dane
photographic pig

Bikes: 04 bianchi pista, 93 trek 2100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by j-lie
4. no place to hook a blinkie. you can sew one on though.

6. extra storage is overly complicated with too many small pockets.
most people (myself included) see no. 6 as a plus. also, on my bag (citizen) there is a blinkie loop. is this not standard?
Old 03-11-07, 11:00 PM
Fugazi Dave
Beausage is Beautiful

Bikes: Nabiis Alchemy

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
A nonstandard answer, but I proceed. How much walking vs riding will you do with the bag? On foot, I like my old Timbuk2 better. On the bike definitely my Chrome, but either will do.
Old 03-11-07, 11:01 PM
j-lie
Oh god it hurts!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
most people (myself included) see no. 6 as a plus. also, on my bag (citizen) there is a blinkie loop. is this not standard?
i had to add one to mine unless i missed it completely (metropolis)

somtimes i like the storage, but a lot of the time i wish there was just a big open compartment in front. the way it's constructed it seems like when the front pockets are full it takes away space from the inside compartment. i think that it's because the storage is built into the structure of the bag rather than on top of it. that said i haven't actually tried a bag with the alternative.

i carry a lot of misc. stuff and it has to go somewhere other than the main bag or else it's impossible to get to. i get a bit frustrated trying to dig to the bottom of those small pockets when they're stretch tight and packed with stuff. for my use i'd rather have one or two large pockets over an organizer.
Old 03-11-07, 11:32 PM
seagull_bags
Lets do this

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go with a company who designs their bags for riding (if thats what you do most). Ask people about what bags they ride. That is the best way to find out what you should buy. Look at the following companies; hope this helps

Zupster bags
Freight Bags
Chicago Wig
Bailey works
REload
Zo Bags
Chrome (obviously)
Seagull Bags

I hope this helps.
Old 03-12-07, 12:07 AM
Retem
Paste Taster

Bikes: , Jury Bike, Moto Outcast 29, Spicer standard track frame and spicer custom steel sprint frame.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seagull_bags
Go with a company who designs their bags for riding (if thats what you do most). Ask people about what bags they ride. That is the best way to find out what you should buy. Look at the following companies; hope this helps

Zupster bags
Freight Bags
Chicago Wig
Bailey works
REload
Zo Bags
Chrome (obviously)
Seagull Bags

I hope this helps.
good answer dan and you didn't even plug the black bag dude seriously get one of the seagull black bags the price is better than a timbuk2 pro
Old 03-12-07, 12:31 AM
schnee

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
The main critique I have about my citizen is the 'flatness' of the extra pockets... they don't handle bulky stuff like tool bundles or inner tubes that well. Otherwise, the fit is fantastic and they are indestructible.
Old 03-12-07, 12:34 AM
Retem
Paste Taster

Bikes: , Jury Bike, Moto Outcast 29, Spicer standard track frame and spicer custom steel sprint frame.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like hand made bags I am a bag maker and I appreciate other peoples work I don't make messenger bags and I will not make messenger bags because I like what dan(seagull) and isaac(wig) are doing and do not beleive there is anything I can do to improve it
Old 03-12-07, 01:46 AM
In Absentia
Wolfman got nards!

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Volpe, '09 Mercier Kilo TT, '08 Jamis Exile 29er

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My Metropolis has served me pretty well, but I do get sick of trying to fit things into it sometimes (especially, as has been mentioned, at the grocery). And it does have a blinky loop.

That said, I just ordered a PAC Designs Ultimate today and I can't wait to get it.

Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions. –Oliver Wendell Holmes
Old 03-12-07, 02:29 AM
j-lie
Oh god it hurts!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
is there a blinkie loop i'm missing on the 2005 metropolis?
Old 03-12-07, 03:36 AM
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Here's my experience with the chrome vs. timbuk2 issues from having owned both.

The chrome is infinitely more comfortable on or off the bike. The chrome is a heavier bag too.
That said, the timbuk2 sits a little more horizontal while the chrome sits more diagonal on your back. This meant for me, since I'm a skinny guy, that the timbuk2 felt more awkward when fully loaded while the chrome generally felt better while fully loaded.
Old 03-12-07, 05:34 AM
skitbraviking
the way we get by

Bikes: Cinelli Supercorsa / Surly Karate Monkey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haven't we done this subject like 5,000,000,000,000 times?

Chrome, no competition
Old 03-12-07, 06:09 AM
Imachad
Future Spike!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Zupster bags
Freight Bags
Chicago Wig
Bailey works
REload
Zo Bags
Chrome (obviously)
Seagull Bags

I hope this helps.
Thanks, im a noob and haven't heard of those before. sorry if it is a redundant question but its all new to me.
Old 03-12-07, 06:17 AM
piwonka
park ranger

Bikes: recumbents

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by j-lie
the way it's constructed it seems like when the front pockets are full it takes away space from the inside compartment.
i found this to be especially true with my timbukII bag.
the chrome i have is better...i have the large.
i would've gotten a reload or something when i upgraded from the timbuk but a new condition chrome popped up on craigslist and i picked it up for $45...i like it alot, it works great.
Old 03-12-07, 07:33 AM
dijos
Walks with a limp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.fixedgeargallery.com/reviews/messengerbags/

it's a place to start, plus, Seagull bags is making a special black bag soon. Search this forum for black bag, or posts by seagull bags.
Old 03-12-07, 08:27 AM
crushkilldstroy
Hello.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
i'm gonna go against the grain here. i got a large timbuk2 from somewhere on the internet brand new for 40 bucks shipped. i can't remember where now, but you can find lots of places selling for similar prices on froogle and yahoo. it hasn't caught fire yet and i've found that i can store things in it when i'm traveling from place to place. it's durable, it's waterproof, it holds more than enough, and it doesn't have a dumbass seatbelt buckle that gets caught on stuff. i will say that you're gonna want to get a strap pad for another 10 or so, but that's really the only negative i've found. all in all, i've been pretty damned happy with it. it saved me 50 odd bucks off of a metropolis and has been more than reliable.
Old 03-12-07, 08:37 AM
Natron
Dude.

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check, Specialized Langster Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Everybody knows that you don't want either company's bag. You need to find the most obscure bag-making company in the world that no one else has ever heard of if you want to be cool.

"Hey is that messenger bag made of..... saran wrap??"
"Yeah I found a single-person company in Pakistan that makes them by hand for only $475!"
"Awesommmmmmmmmeee!"
Old 03-12-07, 09:17 AM
Gyeswho
Utilitarian Boy

Bikes: Check the sig to find out

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
(this will help greatly) https://bikeforums.net/showthread.php...ome+vs+timbuk2

it depends on what Chrome bag you get. i have Kremlin and have not had the prob's ppl say about space issue who have the Metro. Metro = 2000 while Krem = 3000, BIG diff (this bag is HUGE). The front pocket issue can be annoying at time because i too wish it was expandable like other bags do it. It is a heavy bag and not very good for walking around in but on the bike(since this is what it's made for) it is perfectly comfy. i regularly carry around 20lbs and its not a prob for me (im 5'11 so i think height may have a deciding factor as to how it fits your body since i hear for other ppl who are smaller or skinnier it can be uncomfy at times due to wrapping around the body but this is a good thing since you get a nice fit). i have carried a 50lb bag of salt in it along with my tools in one side pocket and a water bottle in the other; another time carried a 24 pack of water in it with my tools, 5 fruitcups, and some books; another time stuffed 4 brand new standard size pillows in it with tools and water in the side pockets, nothing in the front pocket and my u lock in the main compartment as well. the side pockets make up for the lack of having extra pocket around the bag because they are kinda of deep. I'd say go for the Chrome Kremlin (sorry for being bias but it's the only thing i have experience but really worth it) as the extra size will be worth it in the long run. Why go with a smaller more suitable size bag and one day get stuck and say man i wish i got a bigger size. i always say its better to be over than under prepared.

Again, i am only speaking in terms of the Kremlin bag. It's the only bag ive owned so far and i really love it.
Heres some things i did to it to make it more comfy:
strap was added to make walking around in more better since it can aggrivate the back cuz of weight
https://bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=274912
this makes it feel comfy when having sharp objects like books
https://bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=259766&page=6

If you have the $ i'd say go with a PAC Ultimate OS because this is THE BAG to get and far exceeds any other bag on the market.
Old 03-12-07, 10:16 AM
DerekU2

Bikes: 2005 Orbea Dauphine, 1997 GT Timberline

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone with any experience with Banjo Brothers bags? The included Laptop Sleeve might be nice to have, though you could just purchase a separate one for the chrome.

https://banjobrothers.com/products/01050.php#
Old 03-12-07, 11:28 AM
fixedpip
asleep at the wheel

Bikes: Custom Richie Ditta Track Bike, Eddie Merckx Corsa, Marioni Custom Pista, Dolan Cyclocross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Zupster bags
Thats Zugster bags, not Zupster.

Also look at:
Under the Weather (https://under-the-weather.ca/)
Bagaboo (https://www.bagaboo.hu/)

Also run by messengers? for messengers and nice people.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.