Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

new stoker post

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

new stoker post

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-12, 02:22 PM
SaddleSoar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
new stoker post

Not available yet, but looks interesting...
https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/...ype-first-look
-Stuart
Old 11-15-12, 04:19 PM
Chris_W
Likes to Ride Far

Bikes: road+, gravel, commuter/tourer, tandem, e-cargo, folder

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Specialized also has something similar coming out soon, the Cobl Goblr - 18mm of vertical compliance in an all-carbon post. Apparently, these aren't any available aftermarket yet (only on complete S-Works Roubaix bikes), but once the supply is up then they will start making them more widely available. We have one on back-order with the local Spec' dealer - we'll report back once we get it, but don't hold your breath.
Old 11-15-12, 06:11 PM
twocicle
Clipless in Coeur d'Alene

Bikes: Tandems: Calfee Dragonfly S&S, Ventana ECDM mtb; Singles: Specialized Tarmac SL4 S-Works, Specialized Stumpjumper Pro, etal.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris_W
Specialized also has something similar coming out soon, the Cobl Goblr - 18mm of vertical compliance in an all-carbon post. Apparently, these aren't any available aftermarket yet (only on complete S-Works Roubaix bikes), but once the supply is up then they will start making them more widely available. We have one on back-order with the local Spec' dealer - we'll report back once we get it, but don't hold your breath.
More on the gobbler... https://www.cxmagazine.com/specialize...yclocross-road

I can't see the Ergon working that well for a road tandem, as that post is meant to help with rear wheel pitching hits. Hmmm, I'm sure we could think up something funny about that last part
Old 11-15-12, 10:41 PM
rdtompki

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris_W
Chris, that looks very interesting, but looking at the picture I'd guess isn't one size fits all. I wonder what range of rider weight it's really designed for. Still, nothing quite as ugly seat post wise as a Thudbuster. I'd give one of those serious consideration..
Old 11-16-12, 06:21 AM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by SaddleSoar
Not available yet, but looks interesting...
https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/...ype-first-look
-Stuart
Looks interesting. Thanks for the link.

One question though. Why "stoker" post?

Cheers,
Charles
Old 11-16-12, 09:21 AM
SaddleSoar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, the captain could certainly use one if desired, but it is generally the stoker that bears the brunt of rough roads and is most appreciative of a little extra comfort. That's the only reason I called it that.
Old 11-16-12, 10:12 AM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by SaddleSoar
Well, the captain could certainly use one if desired, but it is generally the stoker that bears the brunt of rough roads and is most appreciative of a little extra comfort. That's the only reason I called it that.
I've got very little experience with proper tandems, so maybe this is understood and I just don't know, but why would the stoker take the brunt of bad roads compared to the captain?

Cheers,
Charles
Old 11-16-12, 02:16 PM
reburns

Bikes: 2005 Trek T2000; 2005 Co-motion Speedster Co-pilot; various non-tandem road and mountain bikes

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by cplager
I've got very little experience with proper tandems, so maybe this is understood and I just don't know, but why would the stoker take the brunt of bad roads compared to the captain?

Cheers,
Charles
A few reasons I can think of: 1) the stoker is mounted almost directly over the rear wheel, so bumps travel very directly up the stoker's seat stays from wheel to saddle, whereas the captain is mounted near the center of the frame and benefits from any flex in the long tandem frame. 2) the stoker can't see bumps coming and so isn't as prepared unless the bump is large enough for the captain to call out. 3) more often than not, the stoker is a lady who deserves a smooth ride! The looks of a LT Thudbuster may not be for everybody, but my stoker sure loves the ride it gives her. Bob
Old 11-16-12, 03:31 PM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by reburns
A few reasons I can think of:

1) the stoker is mounted almost directly over the rear wheel, so bumps travel very directly up the stoker's seat stays from wheel to saddle, whereas the captain is mounted near the center of the frame and benefits from any flex in the long tandem frame.

2) the stoker can't see bumps coming and so isn't as prepared unless the bump is large enough for the captain to call out.

3) more often than not, the stoker is a lady who deserves a smooth ride! The looks of a LT Thudbuster may not be for everybody, but my stoker sure loves the ride it gives her. Bob
(2) I see. I don't know how much I buy (1), but I could be convinced. As far as (3), I'll just leave that one alone.

Cheers,
Charles
Old 11-16-12, 04:37 PM
Sprout97 

Bikes: 2004 Co-Motion Speedster

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Interesting. I'd installed a Specialized post with the zertz insert (her old Specialized Ruby also had one) that she likes. On the other hand, anything that makes the stoker happy is ALWAYS a plus. That, and the current post is a pain to adjust w/ her Brooks saddle.

Learn from other people's mistakes. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

2004 Co-Motion Speedster
2010 (Specialized) Carmel comfort (my neighborhood bike)
2008 Raleigh comfort (wife's neighborhood bike)
Old 11-16-12, 09:19 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
(2) I see. I don't know how much I buy (1), but I could be convinced. As far as (3), I'll just leave that one alone.

Cheers,
Charles
My wife and I trade places just enough that I am convinced that (1) is the right answer. By the way, she rides captain 99% of the time, so (2) and (3) don't really apply to us very often.

To amplify on what reburns said, when the rear wheel hits a bump and rises up an inch, the stoker's saddle will also rise about an inch, but the captain's saddle will only go up a fraction of that because it is nearer the fulcrum (front axle). So, a minor vibration for the captain is a bone-jarring experience for a stoker, especially if the stoker didn't know it was coming.
Old 11-17-12, 02:45 AM
Chris_W
Likes to Ride Far

(2) I see. I don't know how much I buy (1), but I could be convinced.
Point 1 is definitely important - The captain's post being a long way from either wheel means that it is EXTREMELY well damped. None of my single bikes (which are steel, alu', and carbon), give anything close to the smooth ride that I get in the captain's seat of the tandem. There is definitely no need for any kind of comfort seatpost when you have all of that frame to flex. OTOH, the stoker is basically in the same position as on a single bike, so has the regular amount of road shock that would be experienced on a single bike, but maybe a little more because of how stiff the seatstays must be to handle all the weight of a tandem team. Combine that with Point 2, the stoker's inability to see many shocks coming, then seatpost comfort becomes more important for a stoker than on any single bike.

I agree that Point 3 is pretty lame - women can choose to be just as tough as guys, it's just that many choose not to be (which may be wise or weak depending on your perspective).
Old 11-17-12, 12:18 PM
Tom Spohn

Bikes: Spec. Roubaix, Cannondale RT2, BF NWT, BF tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks interesting. Thanks for the link.

One question though. Why "stoker" post?

Cheers,
Charles
I have heard that it is not a good idea to use carbon for the Captain's post since it has an aluminum clamp on it for the Stoker's stem.
Old 11-17-12, 12:49 PM
Sprout97 

Bikes: 2004 Co-Motion Speedster

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tom Spohn
I have heard that it is not a good idea to use carbon for the Captain's post since it has an aluminum clamp on it for the Stoker's stem.
I've had no problems with my Wound-Up post. I probably have upwards of 6500 miles (a conservative figure, but I don't remember when I swapped over) with no problems.

Learn from other people's mistakes. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

2004 Co-Motion Speedster
2010 (Specialized) Carmel comfort (my neighborhood bike)
2008 Raleigh comfort (wife's neighborhood bike)
Old 11-18-12, 04:49 PM
Chris_W
Likes to Ride Far

Every manufacturer of carbon posts recommends against clamping anything to their carbon posts, and most people on web forums echo these warnings. However, I have clamped a stoker stem to a carbon post of the tandem for a few thousand kms and have clamped seatpost mounted racks to a carbon post on my single bike with 5+ kg of weight on the rack for several hundred kms. Like Sprout97, I've never had an issue with any of these posts.

If I had an uber-lightweight carbon post (like one from one of those German weightweenie manufacturers, or something similar) then I would probably not clamp anything to it. With most other carbon posts, I would not be too worried. Having said that, we now have a Thomson seatpost for the captain's seat on the tandem (which I basically got for free because I grabbed it off of another bike that I flipped) and I have no desire to switch it back to a carbon model now. A lightweight aluminum model like a Thomson is about the same weight as most carbon models and you don't have any worries about going against manufacturer's warnings.
Old 11-18-12, 07:38 PM
tandem rider

Bikes: Co-Motion tandem, Serotta, and Specialized mt. bike

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Sprout97
I've had no problems with my Wound-Up post. I probably have upwards of 6500 miles (a conservative figure, but I don't remember when I swapped over) with no problems.
The Wound-Up probably has an aluminum sleeve in it. I had one a few years ago and it had the Al sleeve.
Old 11-19-12, 11:01 AM
bgross

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
We fossils have found that there are several "low tech" options which help.

Our C'dale (see sig.) has an older "damping" seat post which, combined with my bride's Selle Anatomica saddle, works just fine.
Our vintage Santana has a solid stoker post. We fitted a Brooks B67s (sprung saddle) and my bride is quite happy with the result. (The B67s is not as... firm as the B17!)

The Santana that we rode for a week in Europe had a Thudbuster stoker post. However, we packed the Selle Anatomica and she said it seemed no different in comfort than either of our own bikes.

YMMV
Old 11-20-12, 12:50 PM
Clarabelle

Bikes: Co-Motion Mocha, Fuji touring, Trex hybrid, Bike Friday Tandem Traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by reburns
A few reasons I can think of: 1) the stoker is mounted almost directly over the rear wheel, so bumps travel very directly up the stoker's seat stays from wheel to saddle, whereas the captain is mounted near the center of the frame and benefits from any flex in the long tandem frame. 2) the stoker can't see bumps coming and so isn't as prepared unless the bump is large enough for the captain to call out. 3) more often than not, the stoker is a lady who deserves a smooth ride! The looks of a LT Thudbuster may not be for everybody, but my stoker sure loves the ride it gives her. Bob
There would be a war if I tried to replace my wife's Thudbuster. It may not be pretty, but it works. She claims it rides better than her single.
Old 12-25-12, 02:17 PM
bikeinxs

Bikes: Ibis Cousin It converted to a drop bar dirt road cruiser, True North Ti Tandem, garage full of half bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
I've been trying to source a cobl gobl seat post - anyone have luck finding one yet? Also curious as to if more people have feedback on the use of carbon fiber captains seat posts? I'm also concerned about clamping the stoker stem to it.