Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Trek Multi Track 700

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Trek Multi Track 700

Old 03-10-13, 03:29 PM
BCL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek Multi Track 700

Hey everybody, I am new to biking and am considering making a purchase. I will mostly be using the bike to ride around within 2 miles, but would also like to start doing some longer trail rides (20-30 miles). I found a used Trek 700 at a bike shop and was wondering if it is a good deal. The bike shop just installed new brakes and a new chain. From what I have been able to find on the bike (color mostly), I believe that it is a 2001. They are asking for $200, but I talked to him and he said he could probably do $175, so maybe I could get that a little lower. I rode the bike around in the parking lot and it was pretty comfortable and shifted well. It has some very minimal surface rust, but seems like it was taken care of. I am just a little skeptical about paying this much for a 12 year old bike. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2013-03-10_13-56-14_825.jpg (108.1 KB, 1022 views)
Old 03-10-13, 06:47 PM
ciao_bella

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you look that bike model up here:

https://www.vintage-trek.com/model_numbers1.htm

The 2001 700 Multitrack color was Rainforest green. I have the 1997 Trek 730 Multitrack and I LOVE the bike, I'm the original owner. It's a steel (Chromoly) frame, and it rides really smooth. Those bikes sell anywhere from $125 to OVER $200 on Craigslist, I've been watching them. I've seen them on Ebay in that price range as well. If it's in nice condition $175 is not a bad price.
Old 03-10-13, 07:57 PM
xoxoxoxoLive

Bikes: 2013 TREK 7.6 FX

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ciao_bella
If you look that bike model up here:

https://www.vintage-trek.com/model_numbers1.htm

The 2001 700 Multitrack color was Rainforest green. I have the 1997 Trek 730 Multitrack and I LOVE the bike, I'm the original owner. It's a steel (Chromoly) frame, and it rides really smooth. Those bikes sell anywhere from $125 to OVER $200 on Craigslist, I've been watching them. I've seen them on Ebay in that price range as well. If it's in nice condition $175 is not a bad price.
There's one at a local LBS here for 175.00, super clean. If that's what I wanted, its worth it.
Old 03-10-13, 08:32 PM
BCL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies. That makes me feel much better about the deal. I like the feel of the bike and just wanted to make sure that I wouldn't be over paying. I will probably make the purchase this week. Thanks again for the advice!
Old 03-10-13, 09:42 PM
jbchybridrider 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 147 Posts
People here are fond of the old Trek Multi Track including me and do great upgrades to them.
Old 03-10-13, 09:54 PM
lilpoindexter

Bikes: 2013 Fuji Absolute 1.4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My old bike was a steel frame Univega Via Montega. I think it will be a good bike to see if you like it, and if you feel the need to, you can always get a more expensive bike later.
Old 03-15-13, 02:15 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1750 Post(s)
Liked 1,421 Times in 972 Posts
Those are nice around-town bikes. I looked at a few when trying to find a new commuter, and the only thing I didn't like about them was the smallish chainrings on the crankset - not really a design fault, just my personal preference of wanting a bigger chainring up front. Ended up getting a barely used 1992 Trek 8000 from my brother's neighbor that's been a real workhorse for me.
Old 03-15-13, 04:48 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
If you need that much seatpost showing, that frame is too small. That looks like a 14 or 15 incher. If you're about 5'10" you need an 18" frame.

If the bike shop has put on new cables and overhauled the wheel bearings $175 is a fair price. I sometimes find them for very little $$, but they need work and consumables. And I'd be selling for more than $175. Here is my upgraded 1993 multitrack 700.

Old 03-18-13, 08:08 AM
BCL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I believe the bike is a 17", but I'm not exactly sure. I am 5'9" with 30" inseam and when I stand over the frame, I've got about an inch or two of clearance. I like the bike so far, we had some beautiful weather in Texas this weekend and I took her on about a 15 mile ride. Any recommendations on types of upgrades to look into in the future?
Old 03-20-13, 10:20 PM
DVC45

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by BCL
I believe the bike is a 17", but I'm not exactly sure. I am 5'9" with 30" inseam and when I stand over the frame, I've got about an inch or two of clearance. I like the bike so far, we had some beautiful weather in Texas this weekend and I took her on about a 15 mile ride. Any recommendations on types of upgrades to look into in the future?
That bike should fit you just fine. $175 for a ready to ride bike is a good deal.

As for upgrades, a pair of barends or Trekking bars, fenders,Tire repair kit (a must have, IMO) and a comfy saddle (if the one on it does not fit).
' looks like it already has a pair of good tires.

Have fun!

Last edited by DVC45; 03-20-13 at 10:25 PM.
Old 03-21-13, 06:49 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
First thing I would do is replace the gripshifts with thumb shifters or trigger shifters. Better shifting, better reliability. Some are integrated with the levers. That saddle looks pretty painful too.

Last edited by oddjob2; 03-21-13 at 06:53 PM.
Old 04-02-13, 12:45 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
got this bike for my son when he was ready for an adult size bike. it's fun to watch him disappear into the horizon. I don't like it but I I know he is enjoying it and glad he doesn't have to work so hard anymore.
Old 10-10-18, 03:43 PM
Nitewolf

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,

Now is the year 2018. My neighbor wants to sell a good condition 2001 model for $100. Is it worth it?

Thanks

Last edited by Nitewolf; 10-15-18 at 06:32 AM.
Old 10-11-18, 06:03 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
Originally Posted by Nitewolf
My neighbor wants to sell a good condition 2001 model for $100. Is it worth it?
Maybe. Condition is everything. It's a 2001 model Trek MultiTrack 700? It looks like it came with low-end Shimano Tourney-level components and likely a freewheel hub. The 700 was the only steel hybrid model left in Trek's line up by 2001, and they were being phased out in favor of the 7000-series aluminum hybrids (which eventually turned into today's line of FX and Verve hybrids).

If it's in mint condition, then it probably is worth $100. If it needs new tires and cables and brake pads, etc, then it's probably not worth $100.

The more important question is, is the bike in your size?
Old 10-11-18, 07:12 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

a bike is worth what someone can get for it. if you buy it, it's worth it. got any pics of the drive components such as gears, chain & derailers? does it have any extras? water bottle holders? rack? fenders? how are the tires? show us the tires. I bought a used hybrid for $50 a cpl yrs ago. had the best time with it. bikes that stand the test of time are worth enjoying still. getting a new-to-you bike usually means some investment in extras/accessories. so the more the bike has right off the bat, the greater it's value, cuz you won't have to spend all that money "setting it up"
Old 10-11-18, 03:07 PM
pjthomas

Bikes: 2000 Trek 720 Multitrack (plus)

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BCL
I'm 5'11" riding a 19" 2000 720 MT. Same bike but chromoly steel. Only thing original is the frame/fork, seat post and stem, and brake levels. Everything else has been replaced: tires, wheels, cranks, BB, deraileurs, shifters, handle bar, grips, pedals, v brakes...

Replace the seat first. The padded comfort seat is nice and comfortable but on longer rides you'll go numb. A new seat is a good first buy for any bike, new or old. Look on line and measure your sit bones first. Also consider pedals, MTB flat platforms are a nice upgrade. If your bike has the Mega-Range Sun cassette, consider replacing that. Mine came with a 7 speed 11-34T cassette but upper six cogs were 11-24 and then a big 10 tooth jump to 34T "bail out" gear. The "bail out" wasn't useful making it really a 6 speed. You can pickup you choice of rear cassette rather then the Trek "try to please everyone" choice. If you're riding off road on light trails consider replacing the rear derailleur with something with more spring tension to avoid chain drop.
Old 10-15-18, 06:51 AM
Nitewolf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
a bike is worth what someone can get for it. if you buy it, it's worth it. got any pics of the drive components such as gears, chain & derailers? does it have any extras? water bottle holders? rack? fenders? how are the tires? show us the tires. I bought a used hybrid for $50 a cpl yrs ago. had the best time with it. bikes that stand the test of time are worth enjoying still. getting a new-to-you bike usually means some investment in extras/accessories. so the more the bike has right off the bat, the greater it's value, cuz you won't have to spend all that money "setting it up"
Hi, he placed it in Letgo
Letgo.

us.letgo.com/en/i/trek-sport-700_45ce1894-786d-4bef-8515-b0c132e04d2b

​​​​​​Thank you all feedbacks.
Old 10-15-18, 06:56 AM
hokiefyd 

It looks like it's in good condition. Does it fit? It looks like a 17" or a 19" frame. If it doesn't fit, then I certainly wouldn't buy it. If it does fit, $100 is probably the highest I'd pay for it (being an older entry level hybrid bike). I'd like it better at $60, honestly.
Old 10-15-18, 07:56 AM
rumrunn6

just a hunch but the seller sounds like he isn't negotiable. the bike is no prize but your market/area isn't great for used hybrids at that price. go ride it see if you like it but there are others to check out

https://orlando.craigslist.org/bik/d...710881445.html

https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/bik...721203233.html
Old 10-15-18, 06:28 PM
Nitewolf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all for your help and feedback. It is 17" bike. Height wise works for me, i ama5' 9", I mentioned the value of the bike via Bike Blue Book to him that i came across in this forum. He is willing to sell at $70. I tried it and it was fine, a little heavy. If $70 is not a good deal or other used bike can be have, i can wait. I dont need a work horse. Just a decent bike riding with my kids on the trail during the weekends, about 5 miles round-trip.

Thanks
Old 10-16-18, 05:28 AM
Nitewolf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
just a hunch but the seller sounds like he isn't negotiable. the bike is no prize but your market/area isn't great for used hybrids at that price. go ride it see if you like it but there are others to check out

Hi. Orlando is better for me. Tampa is 2 hrs away :-). Is the K2 astral you linked at $75 a better option than the Trek 700 at $70? Thanks
Old 10-16-18, 05:51 AM
rumrunn6

Is the K2 astral you linked at $75 a better option than the Trek 700 at $70
I have no idea w/o riding each. was just curious so I did a little poking around. the FX is definitely better if you can save a little or borrow a little. unfortunately buying used is a time consuming "boots on the ground" kind of experience rather than a "order-on-line catalog" type experience. other places to look are bicycle co-ops. they're like used bike shops but ppl volunteer their time (I think) to maintain & sell used bikes. also many bike shops (in my area) sell used bikes)

looks like this place sells used bikes (but you should call to confirm what they have & in what price ranges)
https://www.davidsworld.com/about/bi...-ins-pg270.htm

Last edited by rumrunn6; 10-16-18 at 05:56 AM.
Old 10-16-18, 01:51 PM
Nitewolf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks rumrunn6. I think i need to spend more time searching, reading and visit bike shops for the experience. The trade in website you link is helpful. For the 2001 trek 700, trade in value is only $26...unbelievable.

I have been using a bike from Walmart for almost 10 few years. It starts giving up on me. I was told that getting an old bike from a reputable maker is much better than those new bikes from Walmart at half of the cost. My need is for biking a few miles with the kids on city asphalt trail mainly during weekends in Fall and Spring therefore i am going cheap :-). This forum and everyone's feedbacks are valuable and appreciate it.
Old 10-16-18, 06:45 PM
hokiefyd 

Thanks rumrunn6. I think i need to spend more time searching, reading and visit bike shops for the experience. The trade in website you link is helpful. For the 2001 trek 700, trade in value is only $26...unbelievable.
To be fair to the bike, blue book websites like that have no way to take into account specific benefits of certain features. For example, steel hybrid bikes like that MultiTrack generally have a certain appeal due to their comfortable geometry. And hybrids really haven't evolved a ton from that MultiTrack and, indeed, many hybrid shoppers today are looking for the same basic bike (traditional triangle frame, rigid fork, 700c wheels with good frame clearance, etc). A same-year Trek Mountain Track (800 for example) with 26" wheels may have a similar basic book value, but might carry less specific appeal to the mountain bike crowd because of the particular features desired on mountain bikes today (shocks, disc brakes, 27.5/29" wheels, etc).

$25 trade value sounds about right to me. A shop would offer $25 for it on trade, spend a half hour giving it a basic safety once-over, possibly with a new cable here or there or a set of brake pads, and would try to sell it for $100. That's about what my local shop here would have on it (they usually have $100-125 on super clean Trek MultiTracks and Specialized Crossroads when they get them). I'd probably be happy to own that bike for $60-80 if it fit me and needed nothing. That said, the 700 Sport is the base model MultiTrack, and nicer models (like 720, 730, and 750) have nicer frames and nicer components. Where the 700 is on the low end with much of its frame basic high-tensile steel, the 750 is on the high end, with much of its frame double-butted chrome-moly steel (True Temper or Reynolds usually, depending on the year). If you're lucky, you can find these for similar prices, though nicer ones are usually in the $200-300 range if they've been tuned up and cleaned up.

These are very popular flip bikes in strong bike markets. I'm not talking the Trek 700 in particular, but '90s hybrids in general. They're plentiful enough that they can be had easily at garage sales and estate auctions and storage unit blind lot buys, and they're good enough bikes to have reasonably wide appeal to commuters, recreational riders, classic bike enthusiasts (depending on the model). The components are usually pretty durable ('90s mountain bike parts, mostly), and inexpensive to replace if they need it. Tires and tubes are very cheap and plentiful. Tune it up and wipe it down with a rag and some wax and you sometimes have a very new-looking hybrid bike for short money.

They're not for everyone, but they can be a nice buy if you like the specific frame size, color, and how it rides. Being that it's your neighbor's bike (if I recall correctly), I imagine that you'd be able to give it a good test ride, to know for sure before you buy.
Old 10-16-18, 08:48 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked 557 Times in 317 Posts
Thanks rumrunn6. I think i need to spend more time searching, reading and visit bike shops for the experience. The trade in website you link is helpful. For the 2001 trek 700, trade in value is only $26...unbelievable
Bicyclebluebook is not an official source for bike values. It is really only using the "blue book" name to seem official.

In my experience, the best way is to look at sold eBay listings, then factor in how big of a used bike market you live in. A Trek 700 is a decent bike, and in my market, it wouldn't last at $75.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.