Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

My Bike Got Religion Today!!!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

My Bike Got Religion Today!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-08, 05:53 PM
ax0n
Trans-Urban Velocommando

Bikes: 06 Trek 1200 - 98 DB Outlook - 99 DB Sorrento

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AmberRae
going to dive on stage and start rapping the book of psalms.
Sign me up when you find somewhere that does this!
Old 07-03-08, 08:52 PM
Patriot
Faith-Vigilance-Service

Bikes: Trinity, Paradisus, Centurion, Mongoose, Trek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
....wondering if your going to dive on stage and start rapping the book of psalms.
ba boom boom ch... ba boom boom ch...

Yea, though I wallk thru the valley...

Of the shadow of death...

I shall fear no evil...

For thou Homies are wi' may...

Old 07-03-08, 09:00 PM
saxonrider
Ridin' Free!

Bikes: Giant Revive 2007 8 speed, beater beach cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Socially liberal, fiscally conservative, legally nationalistic, Green supporting as much as possible, meditating, mystically inclined, philosophizing, Vedic loving, English descended Asatruar who has absolutely fallen for biking. I have altars throughout my home, a shrine in my heart, and the cosmos the very body of Divinity and our souls reflective sparks of the All. Ride Free for Freedom's ride for ride we must for man and Gods!

Hail the Ancestors!
Hail the Gods!
Old 07-03-08, 09:33 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by ax0n
Well, you'd be surprised how many people assume that since I'm Christian, I must be a Republican, and since I must be a Republican, I must not care about the environment the way Democrats do, and that riding a bicycle seems awfully odd since the only reason people ride bicycles are because they're Green Freaks (who could not possibly be Republican) or Homeless.

No, really.
I get that too. And also the "if you are a Christian, you MUST be a fundamentalist." I've tried to explain the difference between divinely written and divinely inspired, but they still assume I must be ultra right wing and want to ban evolution from science classrooms.

Back on topic. I've ridden to church, and I've been accepted there as "the cyclist." Except now I'm not the only one. Another person rides in from time to time. He's in his 70's. So I'm making progress.

Old 07-03-08, 11:13 PM
tbannin
Cars are for the meek.

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Stump Jumper FSR, 2007 Trek 2100, 1993 UNK Frame built into a single speed mt. bike (think it's a mongoose, before they were crap), and a 1985 Dave Scott Ironman Pro (my baby fg)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by saxonrider
Socially liberal, fiscally conservative, legally nationalistic, Green supporting as much as possible, meditating, mystically inclined, philosophizing, Vedic loving, English descended Asatruar who has absolutely fallen for biking. I have altars throughout my home, a shrine in my heart, and the cosmos the very body of Divinity and our souls reflective sparks of the All. Ride Free for Freedom's ride for ride we must for man and Gods!

Hail the Ancestors!
Hail the Gods!
Amen.
Old 07-03-08, 11:44 PM
HeIncreasesMe

Bikes: Trek 7.3 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TexasEdit
I am a Democrat Yankee former Catholic Southern Baptist Sunday School teacher living in East Texas.

I am a liberal newspaper editor working in a Republican rural town with one stop light where the annual Cornbread Festival is front page news and the mayor is the chamber of commerce secretary.

And I am a bicycle commuter in a community where a Ford F150 is considered a small vehicle and I have to yell at the buzzards to get out of the road so I can get past.

So how do I stack up?

Mannn....I can't win anything. lol
Old 07-07-08, 11:18 AM
AmberRae
Beginner

Bikes: Trek 4300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Patriot

Yea, though I wallk thru the valley...

Of the shadow of death...

I shall fear no evil...

For thou Homies are wi' may...

Inspiring... maybe i SHOULD jump on stage and rap...
Old 07-07-08, 11:52 AM
HeIncreasesMe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Inspiring... maybe i SHOULD jump on stage and rap...
At this church in Oakland, CA called Shiloh ....they have like free worship. Kind of like a couple songs are prepared, but than they allow God to conduct the rest of the service and will honestly just wait and praise w/ words of adoration until God gives someone a song or words to sing. Sometimes this one guy comes from the audiene w/ a rap. And he teaches us like the chorus or the hook and we are all rapping. It is sooo TIGHT!

I usually do like a HIP HOP R&B thing over his rap. While the rest of the people are rapping. You are HOly God, You Are Awe Some God, We pick up our Cross to serve you...I sing it..like some r&b artist. It's tight.
Old 07-08-08, 12:56 PM
AmberRae
Beginner

Bikes: Trek 4300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HeIncreasesMe
At this church in Oakland, CA called Shiloh ....they have like free worship. Kind of like a couple songs are prepared, but than they allow God to conduct the rest of the service and will honestly just wait and praise w/ words of adoration until God gives someone a song or words to sing. Sometimes this one guy comes from the audiene w/ a rap. And he teaches us like the chorus or the hook and we are all rapping. It is sooo TIGHT!

I usually do like a HIP HOP R&B thing over his rap. While the rest of the people are rapping. You are HOly God, You Are Awe Some God, We pick up our Cross to serve you...I sing it..like some r&b artist. It's tight.
i might travel out there... oakland gosh thats far... but that DOES sound like an AMAZING service to attend.
Old 07-08-08, 01:36 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by HeIncreasesMe
At this church in Oakland, CA called Shiloh ....they have like free worship. Kind of like a couple songs are prepared, but than they allow God to conduct the rest of the service and will honestly just wait and praise w/ words of adoration until God gives someone a song or words to sing.
Sounds like they are taking a page out of the Quakers' book. https://www.qis.net/~daruma/hw-intro.html

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 07-08-08, 01:49 PM
HeIncreasesMe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
Sounds like they are taking a page out of the Quakers' book. https://www.qis.net/~daruma/hw-intro.html
I don't know where they got it from..it is very biblical though. Definitely can be seen in the scriptures. This church it isn't silent though...a soft rumble..sometimes folks being a bit loud here in there with words of heart felt praise and adoration towards God. Sometimes folks cry out loud..sometimes people get excited w/ joy...it's interesting.
Old 07-08-08, 02:03 PM
Flandry

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Tricross Singlecross w/ Alfine hub, 198x Nishiki Olympic (2x: first nicked, second left at move :(...), Iron Horse beater (also gone), RIP 1998 Rockhopper (cracked frame; lost fight with Ford Focus)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Treespeed
Probably some of them are laughing, and I bet a few others are thinking, "thats a good idea."

Wow, i wish they'd standardized on decent bikes like that when I did my service!

Best two years of my life, and that's not just because i got to bike around in the rain wearing a shirt and tie.

I bike to church ever week, unfazed by the traffic conditions due to said two years of dealing with insane drivers.