Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Got Gas?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Got Gas?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-08, 11:57 AM
ZombieButcher
So Cal North County Rider

Bikes: 2008 Giant OCR2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ahh I haven't bought gas this entire year, And haven't even driven a car since March, I really need to sell my car.
Old 09-21-08, 12:45 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by no cc
What about those hardcore gas misers,can't remember the term for them,but they push start their cars and shut them off going downhill and drive at or below the speed limit.How desperate do you have to be?
OK, turning the car off is one thing, but last I checked, actually obeying the law by driving "at or below the speed limit" wasn't a sign of desperation.

I usually am at 60 to 65 on a 70 MPH expressway. Yes, partially to save gas, but also because I'm not in any hurry, and if I keep it below the limit I can camp in the slow lane and relax.

The speed limit isn't a minimum, despite popular belief.
Old 09-21-08, 01:06 PM
degnaw

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by no cc
What about those hardcore gas misers,can't remember the term for them,but they push start their cars and shut them off going downhill and drive at or below the speed limit.How desperate do you have to be?They think they're getting the last laugh getting 60 or 80 mpg all smug etc.Let's see the savings when they throw a 3 or 400 dollar starter in the old girl.Not to mention the trans pump wear and tear/neutral to drive,neutral to drive,and not to mention no power steering/brakes with a stopped engine!Just what you want in a residential neighborhood when a kid runs out chasing her ball!They should get over themselves,suck it up,and find a cheaper way to get around like the rest of us!I feel better now.
Firstly there's nothing wrong with push-starting a car, shutting it off going downhill (or otherwise) or going the speed limit. Firstly you can't push start an automatic, so most hypermilers use manuals (maybe not in the CNN video, but that's a different scenario). Obviously, there's no discernible wear when shifting or clutching a manual transmission. As for losing power steering and brakes, power steering does practically nothing above 30mph and power brakes still work for 3-4 full applications (more than enough to stop completely).

Hypermiling isn't a sign of desperation - for most people it becomes a game where they try to beat their "high score" on their commutes. And as for those last two sentences, see this (xcel is the guy in the CNN video - he has an 80 mile RT commute). And yes, most of this post came from personal experience.
Old 09-21-08, 01:16 PM
dobber
Perineal Pressurized

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ax0n
I thought about stopping and offering him my bottle of gatorade, then saying "Oh, sorry, this fuel won't work in your minivan." I just kept riding, though.
Yeah for you !! Your self-righteous attitude earns you premium status in the Advocacy and Safety forum.
This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.
Old 09-21-08, 05:01 PM
ax0n
Trans-Urban Velocommando

Bikes: 06 Trek 1200 - 98 DB Outlook - 99 DB Sorrento

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dobber
Yeah for you !! Your self-righteous attitude earns you premium status in the Advocacy and Safety forum.
I'll follow you, buddy!