Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

The rack is full!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

The rack is full!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-08, 01:29 PM
ax0n
Trans-Urban Velocommando

Bikes: 06 Trek 1200 - 98 DB Outlook - 99 DB Sorrento

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The rack is full!

It took 20 and a half months... but we finally did it.

I started commuting by bike and bus on Sept 19th, 2006. A few weeks later, facilities put a bike rack in, taking up one motorcycle parking space and converting it to three bicycle parking spaces.

125 days into my bicycle commuting adventures, some moron decided the bike rack would be a good place to lock his 125cc scooter up. Thankfully, that was short-lived. In early May, a Schwinn Point Beach (classic-style schwinn cruiser with integrated cargo rack and fenders for < $100) spent a few days parked next to me. That didn't last long.

In the last couple of weeks, bicycles have flooded the place. We're out of bike parking. Three locked up to the rack (the ghetto-rigged hybrid I used is closest to the camera) and one guy locked to the fence that I used to lock up to before the rack was installed.

I can has moar bike rack nao plz?
Old 07-01-08, 01:45 PM
harleyfrog
An Army of Fred

Location: Lost South of Nowhere East of Edan On the Waterfront Far from the Madding Crowd (Biloxi, MS)

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads Trail

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ax0n
I can has moar bike rack nao plz?
lolbikes?!?
Old 07-01-08, 06:48 PM
ax0n
Trans-Urban Velocommando

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by harleyfrog
lolbikes?!?
nao wifs caek?

Sorry. I met the guy with the old Trek 2200 this morning. He gets a ride from his wife or something downtown but he has to work later than she does, so rides 13 miles up north to get home on the bike. She had been coming back to town to pick him up. No more of that!

The green trail ridge (cheapo) bike on the far end of the wave rack belongs to a lady that works across the hall from me. She bought it to ride local MUPs with her teenage kids, then started riding it to work 3-4x a week. I think she has a 10-15 mile R/T (she doesn't really know the actual distance).

The Silver Trek 820 just showed up a few days ago. It has pastel colored bear stickers on the top tube -- guessing it's a female who rides it. The QR was tightened improperly (cam OPEN, acorn hand tightened) so I fixed it before I left. It's been there when I leave work almost every day since.. even when we had some good storms. Either a very robust commuter, lives very close, or lives close to a bus stop. It's never there in the morning, so I'm ruling out an abandoned bike.
Old 07-01-08, 07:36 PM
ok_commuter
bulletproof tiger

Bikes: Waterford 2200, Litespeed Tuscany, Salsa La Cruz, Kona Fire Mountain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Austin is a funny place. The roads are terrible; the drivers impatient, distracted and always moving 10 mph above the posted limit; and the few bike lanes are narrow, trashed and full of parked cars. Still, people think of Austin as a cycling city and indeed there are lots of folks out on bikes, more now than I've ever seen before.

My office is downtown. I work in advertising, so there are lots of young, fit types and more than a few bike commuters. I actually had to wait this morning to use the big stall for my "shower" b/c a new guy had ridden his bike too. Lots of other people live fairly close and dress very casual so they don't change. There is a bike rack in the parking garage that stays pretty busy. A few people in my office bring their bikes up in the elevator and park next to their desks. (Handy for pannier users.) Bikes make very cool office decor.

We're a new company and just got a CEO a week or two ago, and he was in town last Thursday speaking to everyone and taking questions. Some of the questions had to do with the ongoing build-out of our space (two new floors upstairs) so the GM stepped in to answer those. She explained that the company wanted to make the quality of life for employees as nice as possible and as such was putting in showers on the new floors. She even said specifically, "We want people to be able to ride their bikes to work."

Sweet.

So I happened to work pretty late that day and was finally leaving, walking my bike into the elevator. Joining me as the doors closed were the GM and CEO. (The CEO may or may not be a bike commuter, but he was insanely fit; we've taken to referring to him as "Batman".) They both started asking me about my bike, my commute etc. The GM in particular was asking some pretty knowledgeable questions, and at some point she said, "Well, I ride my bike to work too."

Sweet. I think I'm going to like it here.
Old 07-01-08, 08:10 PM
ax0n
Trans-Urban Velocommando

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's awesome. These guys won't let us bring the bikes up, and have little regard for us. This is a building with about 1,000 people. This explosion in bikes is just the past few weeks. For almost 2 years it was just li'l old me and whatever one of my three bikes I decided to use that day. I did almost take the bus home so I could park two of my bikes here so it looked like we had more.