Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How to waste $2,000 on an exercise bicycle.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How to waste $2,000 on an exercise bicycle.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-20, 10:51 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
So? "If you wouldn’t do it riding a bike outdoors, you don’t do it on the stationary bike" is completely meaningless, and obviously untrue--I don't know anyone who rides outdoors with a "trainer" facing them and yelling encouragement.

Fact of the matter is I don't know anyone who actually rides bikes outdoors to any large extent who also does spin classes. That they've abstracted a heart rate-based schedule from race training doesn't make it bicycling..

BTW, this post you linked is really more of a sales pitch by a "certified" spin instructor, explaining why their form of indoor cycling is somehow superior to others.
I'm suggesting that there's nothing stopping someone from running Spin classes on some platform such as Zwift, just do an audio app so you can hear the instructor yelling at you. I also don't know with certainty that anyone who likes a traditional spin classes would necessarily hate Zwift and how it works with smart trainers -- if the excerpt i posted reflects the goal correctly.

As I said, I'd guess most spin class enrollees probably don't even know such a technology or platform exists. I know personally having had a couple conversations with people who do spin who hadn't heard of a such thing as a smart trainer and the apps out there.

I'm also unclear why any somewhat funded operation (eg. SoulCycle or whatnot) doesn't just make available at-home classes that come with your in-store membership.. if you have your own bike trainer of any kind, and turn on some type of Livemeeting/Webex app on your home laptop, what's the difference vs peloton?
Old 02-21-20, 10:58 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
I have two younger brothers (I'm 70) who ride motorcyles, and they think I'm crazy to still ride on the road. One even said I should get one of those Peleton things and compete online or whatever. I told him that besides the actual ride activity, we enjoy the social aspect of group rides and coffee stops, etc. I asked him how much fun it would be for him to bolt his moto down to the garage floor, and sit out there for hours going nowhere. He told me I was being "snarky". 🤔

When I broke my arm several years ago, I kept in some kind of shape by riding my wife's stationary bike on the patio. Her brother found it in a scrap pile of unwanted stuff and dragged it home for her. She is afraid of real road riding, so for her the stationary is an option. I found it really boring, but it got the job done for me. When I got back on my real bike, I didnt lose that much fittness. I guess stationary spin bikes have their purpose, just not as a continuing activity for me. I'm back on my road bike, and nobody has touched the patio bike in months (maybe years).

Last edited by Slightspeed; 02-21-20 at 11:01 AM.
Likes For Slightspeed:
Old 02-21-20, 12:08 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I'm suggesting that there's nothing stopping someone from running Spin classes on some platform such as Zwift, just do an audio app so you can hear the instructor yelling at you. I also don't know with certainty that anyone who likes a traditional spin classes would necessarily hate Zwift and how it works with smart trainers -- if the excerpt i posted reflects the goal correctly.

As I said, I'd guess most spin class enrollees probably don't even know such a technology or platform exists. I know personally having had a couple conversations with people who do spin who hadn't heard of a such thing as a smart trainer and the apps out there.

I'm also unclear why any somewhat funded operation (eg. SoulCycle or whatnot) doesn't just make available at-home classes that come with your in-store membership.. if you have your own bike trainer of any kind, and turn on some type of Livemeeting/Webex app on your home laptop, what's the difference vs peloton?

Are you proposing this as a business plan or are you just trying to make people who use Peloton feel like they're being cheated because there's some theoretical method of reconstructing their Peloton experience on a perhaps (but not necessarily) cheaper platform?

Could you be more off-topic and forum inappropriate if you tried?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-21-20, 12:11 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Slightspeed
I have two younger brothers (I'm 70) who ride motorcyles, and they think I'm crazy to still ride on the road. One even said I should get one of those Peleton things and compete online or whatever. I told him that besides the actual ride activity, we enjoy the social aspect of group rides and coffee stops, etc. I asked him how much fun it would be for him to bolt his moto down to the garage floor, and sit out there for hours going nowhere. He told me I was being "snarky". 🤔

When I broke my arm several years ago, I kept in some kind of shape by riding my wife's stationary bike on the patio. Her brother found it in a scrap pile of unwanted stuff and dragged it home for her. She is afraid of real road riding, so for her the stationary is an option. I found it really boring, but it got the job done for me. When I got back on my real bike, I didnt lose that much fittness. I guess stationary spin bikes have their purpose, just not as a continuing activity for me. I'm back on my road bike, and nobody has touched the patio bike in months (maybe years).

Now I'm going to install the virtual "getting coffee with friends" simulator on my stationary bike!
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-21-20, 01:04 PM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
I like cycling, and a smart trainer with Zwift.

My wife likes spin classes. She hasn't ridden a bicycle outdoors in years, and is afraid to because of some vertigo and balance issues.

We looked in to a Peloton, and ultimately decided the cost was too high for a mediocre spin bike. And we didn't want to be locked in to the $40/month subscription fees by having a piece of equipment that only works with that one service. So my wife has recently started Zwifting, and actually likes it better than the virtual spin classes she tried. First she did the structured workouts, and now she is doing some solo and group rides. I think a smart trainer is a lot more versatile, and can be used with multiple apps/services. The only issue we have now is that my old road bike is being used by both of us, and it really is better fitted to me.
Likes For HarborBandS:
Old 02-21-20, 02:15 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Are you proposing this as a business plan or are you just trying to make people who use Peloton feel like they're being cheated because there's some theoretical method of reconstructing their Peloton experience on a perhaps (but not necessarily) cheaper platform?

Are there lots of Peloton users here that I could be making feel cheated? I apologize to those if I've hurt their feelings.
I guess I'm just trying to answer why many people are buying Pelotons, thinking one main reason is that they're not aware of other at-home instructor-led cycling-based options that yes, might cost less.
Old 02-21-20, 02:24 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Are there lots of Peloton users here that I could be making feel cheated? I apologize to those if I've hurt their feelings.
I guess I'm just trying to answer why many people are buying Pelotons, thinking one main reason is that they're not aware of other at-home instructor-led cycling-based options that yes, might cost less.

At no point in this theoretical techno-cobbling did you ever ask yourself what this has to do with bicycling?
Old 02-21-20, 02:27 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
Sounds like that is precisely what you have been trying to do, so any apology sounds insincere.

People spend money as they see fit. Accept it and move on. Do you really care if a someone buys a Ferrari only to drive 5 urban miles to work and back 5 days a week when a Kia would do the same job for less? If so, that's your issue, not the Ferrari owner's.

Last edited by indyfabz; 02-21-20 at 02:31 PM.
Old 02-21-20, 03:19 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Have a good friend who is a Cat 2 mountain biker who used a Peloton bike (originally purchased for his wife) in the off season last year to get ready for the race season with very good results

Purchased for his wife - but he uses exponentially more than she does
Old 02-21-20, 03:33 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Sounds like that is precisely what you have been trying to do, so any apology sounds insincere.

People spend money as they see fit. Accept it and move on. Do you really care if a someone buys a Ferrari only to drive 5 urban miles to work and back 5 days a week when a Kia would do the same job for less? If so, that's your issue, not the Ferrari owner's.
I'm not sure i ever did say I care how people spend their money. Please quote where I did this. Seems though easier to attack what I'm saying rather than the earlier posters who did opine "fool and their money.." or "$2500 dumb trainers with LCDs bolted to them" etc.
I was offering an explanation as to why some chunk of the population does spend money on Pelotons (ie. marketing) vs. alternatives, as this thread from post #2 onward became about.
Old 02-22-20, 07:32 AM
embankmentlb

Bikes: 3Rensho-Aerodynamics, Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 162 Posts
Most of us have our own bicycles and many have trainers for them. Is there not a way to use your on , quality, bike for indoor training? Why buy a $2k mechanism that ends up being a paper weight ?
Old 02-22-20, 01:57 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by embankmentlb
Most of us have our own bicycles and many have trainers for them. Is there not a way to use your on , quality, bike for indoor training? Why buy a $2k mechanism that ends up being a paper weight ?
How did they end up being paperweights? If you are talking about Flywheel Bikes, Peloton offers an exchange program.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 02-23-20, 09:17 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts

What so wrong about being inventive and cheap? PS This is GENERAL.
Old 02-23-20, 10:13 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Rollfast
What so wrong about being inventive and cheap? PS This is GENERAL.

This is general cycling, not general indoor exercise machines.
Old 02-24-20, 01:41 PM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Exactly. Peloton is for people who enjoy spin classes to attend them remotely at home. Spinning != cycling. Spin machines resemble bikes in certain respects, and there might be some overlap in the people who go to spin also ride bikes, but they're really separate things.
+1. If you would otherwise be spending $30/class to attend a spin class at a gym, it's a decent value proposition. $2000+ $40/month for unlimited classes quickly seems small if you would otherwise be going to 8-10 classes/month at a studio, plus no need to schedule or go to the gym - it's whenever you want.

If you're comparing it to sinking $2000 into a new road bike, with a $500 annual budget for parts/upgrades and service, then you're not really making a good comparison.
Likes For drewguy:
Old 02-24-20, 02:30 PM
Just Mark

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 2019 Cannondale Synopse 105 SE, 2015 Cannondale Quick 5, 2019 Specialized Fatboy

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 26 Posts
Maybe you folks want to take your discussion over to here: https://www.pelotonforum.com/
I'm getting the popcorn out for it. Carry on.
Old 02-24-20, 02:46 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
1. The spin bike market and audience is a venn diagram with "cyclists" that has a limited overlap. There is overlap, but it is minimal.

2. It's easier to understand the spin bike market if you view it more as from a "gym" and "exercise business model" point of view instead of as a "cyclist".

3. Peloton did blur the line a touch offering some cyclist style workouts and personalities offering classes. So, you can take legit cyclist workout classes.

4. Spin bike or regular bike on trainer, or Zwift..........you get out what you put in. I did a drop in spin class at a bike shop on a work trip. I show up looking like a roadie looks so kind of hid myself in the back corner out of eye sight of everyone to be modest. At the end though, out of 20 people in the class, only myself and the 80 year old grandma have any visible sweat from the workout. The other 18 schmucks couldn't be bothered to do work. Guess what, 80 year old grandma handed you yours! People are afraid of pain. Shoot, just afraid of even mild discomfort.
Old 03-01-20, 08:39 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
This is general cycling, not general indoor exercise machines.
They have pedals. Ergo some.
Old 03-01-20, 09:04 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
We have a Peloton. We live in New Hampshire. Where we live, the roads are rutty, bad, bumpy, and narrow even in midsummer, not to mention worse than that with a little snow and ice. The Peloton is a welcome break from the buzz-harshing roads around here. Yes, I still do brave the cold winds and snow and rain just to say I did it. Just to say I'm a Yankee. Just to say I still got a pair. Its still nice to drink a coffee and a pedal along with some good tunes and a pretty girl coaching you on. Worth it? Hells yes. Would I rather be cycling along the coast in warm weather? Of course! The Peloton is just a way to make the winter easier. People will spend $2500 on a bike that only hangs on the wall. Just saying.
Old 03-02-20, 05:36 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Rollfast
They have pedals. Ergo some.

So do cars and grand pianos.
Old 03-02-20, 09:41 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by embankmentlb
I have plenty of bikes and a pretty nice cycleops trainer I keep in my office at work, --- but when im home, I greatly prefer my spin bike to my regular bike plus trainer .

I have the seat adjusted in relation to my cranks to mimic the road bike position - but the spin bike is so much quieter and smoother than the trainer setup if I am just logging mindless miles while watching movies from the Fast N Furious franchise for the umpteenth time
Old 03-02-20, 09:53 AM
Redrovermiami

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pelotons are great if you can't get outside to ride!
Old 03-02-20, 08:28 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
One of my coworkers have a Peleton set up. Him and his wife love it. Its a spin type bike to me. I have used it just to use it and its just like the spin type bikes or similar to what my gym has. I don't think their market is for cyclist but I think more for just general fitness people.

I am a Zwifter in the winter, I like Zwift. I have used both and if I had the choice I would still use Zwift. I just find it more engaging. Besides the Pelaton is kind of spendy but a Zwift set up can be too. I think they both are good options just what you like. I like to see anyone trying to better themselves through fitness of any kind.
Likes For sdmc530:
Old 03-03-20, 07:51 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530
One of my coworkers have a Peleton set up. Him and his wife love it. Its a spin type bike to me. I have used it just to use it and its just like the spin type bikes or similar to what my gym has. I don't think their market is for cyclist but I think more for just general fitness people.

I am a Zwifter in the winter, I like Zwift. I have used both and if I had the choice I would still use Zwift. I just find it more engaging. Besides the Pelaton is kind of spendy but a Zwift set up can be too. I think they both are good options just what you like. I like to see anyone trying to better themselves through fitness of any kind.
I wanted Zwift, but since my wife was adamant that Peloton was the way to go (and she was paying for it), I acquiesced. Glad I did now. Its a lot simpler, and having someone coach you - even if it isnt in person, you still feel like part of something. One thing very positive I can report is the leg strength gained from using it daily. Its a full-blast fixie workout -no coasting!
Old 03-03-20, 10:40 AM
SteelBanana

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Stationary bicycles are wonderful places to hang laundry.
Likes For SteelBanana:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.