Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Specialized Allez Comp "Direct Drive"???

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 08-29-20, 09:19 AM
kaiserschmarrn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

I bought a +- 1993 Specialized Allez Comp some weeks ago and it is emblazoned with stuff like "Direct Drive" and "Aluminum Fork". I get the "Aluminum Fork" thing, but what is all of this "Direct Drive" stuff all about?

Danny
Old 08-29-20, 09:35 AM
chainwhip

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 84 Posts
Heh

It's vintage Big "S" marketing hype.
Exciting, isn't it?

PS - the "Aluminum Fork" shout out wouldn't fill me with confidence on a 40mph+ descent, but maybe others with more vintage Specialized experience will be along to comment.

Last edited by chainwhip; 08-29-20 at 09:44 AM.
Likes For chainwhip:
Old 08-29-20, 09:42 AM
kaiserschmarrn

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by chainwhip
It's vintage Big "S" marketing hype.
Exciting, isn't it?

PS - the "Aluminum Fork" shout out wouldn't fill me with confidence on a 40mph+ descent, but maybe other with more vintage Specialized experience will be along to comment.
Hope so...

Danny
Old 08-29-20, 09:45 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5887 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 2,079 Posts
I think it's just Specialized speak for chrome moly. You see direct drive tubing on Specialized MTBs as well.

Here you go,

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ve-tubing.html

Post no. 4 has useful info on this.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 08-29-20, 09:47 AM
chainwhip

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 84 Posts
Try a C&V search on "Allez Comp"...

Originally Posted by kaiserschmarrn
Hope so...

Danny
Try a C&V search on "Allez Comp"...it's a popular model, and several members have done resto-mods.
Old 08-31-20, 07:32 AM
acoffin 

Bikes: 72 Lygie (SS conv), 87 Ironman Expert, 94 Allez Sport, 16 Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts
I'm pretty sure Mark DiNucci designed these early 90s frames. He definitely designed the lugs and still uses the lugs on his own custom frames. I had an early 90s Allez Sport that I adored for long distance rides. The comp and sport had very different geometry if course. Interested in hearing your thoughts on the ride quality
Old 08-31-20, 08:50 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by chainwhip
PS - the "Aluminum Fork" shout out wouldn't fill me with confidence on a 40mph+ descent, but maybe others with more vintage Specialized experience will be along to comment.
I've seen Cannondales of the era with OE-appearing Sakae Litage aluminum forks that look similar to that one. These have a good reputation for not failing or hurting people. Maybe yours is similar. Could also be branded CLB/Bador/Vitus, which also have a fine reputation. It may have some manufacturer name molded in the underside of the fork crown.
Old 08-31-20, 09:09 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 856 Posts
The Allez fork is from Giant or some other Taiwan vendor, so not a Litage fork and not a European fork like Vitus, AlAn or CLB.

They are a very strong fork I would say, based on my straightening of frames with such forks still attached. So unless there were a QC issue then I would expect it to hold up and to perform well.
Old 08-31-20, 04:43 PM
kaiserschmarrn

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by acoffin
I'm pretty sure Mark DiNucci designed these early 90s frames. He definitely designed the lugs and still uses the lugs on his own custom frames. I had an early 90s Allez Sport that I adored for long distance rides. The comp and sport had very different geometry if course. Interested in hearing your thoughts on the ride quality
I don't have a lot of time on it yet, but so far, I like it a lot. I do not so far feel that the aluminum fork is a ride quality detriment. It certainly feels worlds better than my aluminum FX2. How it compares to my new Emonda Aluminum with Carbon frame, I am not sure, as I am still sorting out some issues that the dealer did not get correct when new, so I don't have a lot of time on it either. By the book, this Allez frame is too big for me. I am 5'9-1/8" tall. Most charts want to put me in a 54-56. I once sat on a 54, and it felt like a Child's bike to me, as best as I can tell. My fit might be in the 56-68cm range. The Allez feels like I have a more agressive, more horizontal back position than on my 56 cm Emonda, and part of that is because I am pretty sure that I have the seat higher in relation to the bars than on the Emonda. Some of it may be because the bigger Allez frame is longer, a bit oversized for me, but at this point, I am not certain. The seller told me it was a 56. I got it home and realized late that it looked bigger, then measured it, where it came up as a 58 by my best measurements.

Danny
Old 09-01-20, 01:54 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4507 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by kaiserschmarrn
I don't have a lot of time on it yet, but so far, I like it a lot. I do not so far feel that the aluminum fork is a ride quality detriment. It certainly feels worlds better than my aluminum FX2. How it compares to my new Emonda Aluminum with Carbon frame, I am not sure, as I am still sorting out some issues that the dealer did not get correct when new, so I don't have a lot of time on it either. By the book, this Allez frame is too big for me. I am 5'9-1/8" tall. Most charts want to put me in a 54-56. I once sat on a 54, and it felt like a Child's bike to me, as best as I can tell. My fit might be in the 56-68cm range. The Allez feels like I have a more agressive, more horizontal back position than on my 56 cm Emonda, and part of that is because I am pretty sure that I have the seat higher in relation to the bars than on the Emonda. Some of it may be because the bigger Allez frame is longer, a bit oversized for me, but at this point, I am not certain. The seller told me it was a 56. I got it home and realized late that it looked bigger, then measured it, where it came up as a 58 by my best measurements.

Danny
Couple key things here. Many of the best builders in the business had a hand in these by this point. Merz, DiNucci, Neenan, Bainbridge, Tesch and many others.

Another point being that Sinyard had no sense of humor about safety, it was a basic constant tenant and part of the reason he brought so many great builders on board.

He knew exactly what he was doing because they did.

If this feels right then run with it. The charts do not account accurately for those of us that are "out of spec", I am 6' 1/2" with a 38in hardstop inseam (PBH) with longish but not like my legs, arms so I ride a 64-66cm or 62 with 2 fists of seatpost.

I would encourage you to go to Rivendells fit chart and get your inseam (PBH) nailed down, many don't get it right because its uncomfortable to do it right but if its out of the norm.

It can have a big effect on fit especially if you are between sizes where I always size up to not be cramped up and it keeps working out better for it.

Oh and "pics or it didn't happen".
Old 09-01-20, 02:04 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4507 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by acoffin
The lugs and tubing Mark is using now are from his 40th Anniversary Allez done in 2014 that he had full control over and license of after.

The early 90's Allez were his design also supposedly with slightly oversize tubing and if he did the aluminum fork I have no doubt in it.

And I'm sure his DNA is in just about anything else that came after he did as well as all the other masters Sinyard was smart enough to utilize.

Like him or not, he knew what he was doing and while I'm not a big fan of his, I am a big fan of how he did what he did by bringing the best in the business on board.

Last edited by merziac; 09-01-20 at 02:28 AM.