Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Light Bicycle Wheels

Notices
Road Cycling ďIt is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.Ē -- Ernest Hemingway

Light Bicycle Wheels

Old 11-09-20, 06:53 PM
  #1276  
Ymerej
FIXED GEAR
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 33

Bikes: 2019 tarmac pro disc 2020 allez sprint track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 22 Times in 9 Posts
The wheelbuilder stickers have since been removed.
Ymerej is offline  
Likes For Ymerej:
Old 11-12-20, 08:30 PM
  #1277  
sean.hwy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: San Jose
Posts: 309

Bikes: Topstone AL 105 / SystemSix Carbon Ultegra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by jfranci3 View Post
You'll be absolutely fine on 24x24 with the Pillar or CX-ray spokes. I've run the Pillars on Swiss hubs for two years on smaller rims without issue in both road and gravel duty. I'd go with less spokes for cost and aesthetics. I'd go with the pillar spokes to save some cost over the CX-ray. Theres not a real world aero or strength difference, though the Sapim's have a nicer finish IMO. I put 24x24 CX-Rays on a set of less stiff aero DTSwiss 240 / Swissside hubs, and they are unyielding stiff. I'd only go 24/28 or 28/28 if you're using MTB parts for a gravel build.


With the taller carbon rims, higher end spokes, and bigger/softer tires, you flat out don't need a lot of spokes. The higher end spoke alone will give you about 4x more durability and 2x the strength on a plain gauge stock spoke - https://dcrwheels.co.uk/custom-wheel...spokes-advice/ .

If you haven't ordered or they aren't in work yet, ask for the 'satin' finish after checkout. It looks nicer than the gloss or matte IMO.
I am at 149lbs. For my road bike 24 spokes is enough then? I was thinking of going with the cheaper dtswiss 350 hubs. Since I want this to be nice rims and kick my current road rims to my gravel bike should I upgrade to the DTSwiss 240 ? There's a lot of hills where I live. I would prefer lighter over aero if I had to chose between the two.


My current road bike 2019 system six rims that I want to put on my gravel bike.
Hubs
Fulcrum Racing 400 DB, 12x100 front, 12x142 rear
Rims
Fulcrum Racing 400 DB, Alloy clincher, 35mm deep
Spokes
Fulcrum double-butted, Stainless, Bladed

Last question do these guys every sales? Should I wait for Black Friday? Or they never have sales just buy them now and enjoy.
sean.hwy is offline  
Old 11-12-20, 09:21 PM
  #1278  
jfranci3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy View Post
I am at 149lbs. For my road bike 24 spokes is enough then? I was thinking of going with the cheaper dtswiss 350 hubs. Since I want this to be nice rims and kick my current road rims to my gravel bike should I upgrade to the DTSwiss 240 ? There's a lot of hills where I live. I would prefer lighter over aero if I had to chose between the two.


My current road bike 2019 system six rims that I want to put on my gravel bike.
Hubs
Fulcrum Racing 400 DB, 12x100 front, 12x142 rear
Rims
Fulcrum Racing 400 DB, Alloy clincher, 35mm deep
Spokes
Fulcrum double-butted, Stainless, Bladed

Last question do these guys every sales? Should I wait for Black Friday? Or they never have sales just buy them now and enjoy.
Sean -
1) 24 high end spokes are over kill for you. I think those fulcrum are 16f x 21r big spokes. Traditional rims are super shallow by todays standards - like 14mm deep vs your 35mm rim. That bigger rim is WAY stronger than the shallow rim. The higher end spokes are also a more resilient than the basic ones (1.5x stronger and 4x more durable). As a result, you don't need as many to get a stiff durable wheel. I'm 200lb, I've broken quite a few wheels, and I haven't had an issue on 24x24 bladed spokes on modern rims after lots of abusive miles. Anyway 24x24 is standard disc brake.

2) DT 350 are not a low end hub. The DT 240 is the same hub with 60gr more material machined off the hub shell. The 240 does use the new EXP mechanism in back, which is louder than the old one. 60gr on a 10% climb is equal to a .5w power difference. I'd get the 350 hands down. 60gr isn't worth $250 and quieter is better. For $24, you can do their flyweight and take 100gr off the rim, which is better than taking it off the hub.

3) Sales.... not really - you can scroll through here . It's usually just clearing out old stock with highend hubs. It'll be $100 off some $1100 combination. I've looked elsewhere, their prices are about the lowest you'll find. Tip= the NA versions of the wheel are more expensive, but you save a lot in shipping and wait time. Consider the NA build.
jfranci3 is offline  
Likes For jfranci3:
Old 11-13-20, 09:24 AM
  #1279  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,837
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4643 Post(s)
Liked 1,758 Times in 949 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy View Post
I

Last question do these guys every sales? Should I wait for Black Friday? Or they never have sales just buy them now and enjoy.
3% off is better than nothing

https://www.lightbicycle.com/newslet...upon-code.html
noodle soup is offline  
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 11-13-20, 11:26 AM
  #1280  
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,046

Bikes: 2019 Scott Addict SE Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 24 Posts
I'm looking into getting new wheels. I currently have Syncros RP2.0 Disc (stock wheels on my Scott Addict SE). The wheels are ~1750grams.

I am just a weekend warrior road rider, so the purchase would likely be more for the "sake" of dropping some grams and aesthetics. I weigh ~150lb, the roads I ride on are not that harsh, and I am riding GP5000 28mm rims.

Thoughts?
WorldIRC is offline  
Old 11-13-20, 11:31 AM
  #1281  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,837
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4643 Post(s)
Liked 1,758 Times in 949 Posts
Originally Posted by WorldIRC View Post
I'm looking into getting new wheels. I currently have Syncros RP2.0 Disc (stock wheels on my Scott Addict SE). The wheels are ~1750grams.

I am just a weekend warrior road rider, so the purchase would likely be more for the "sake" of dropping some grams and aesthetics. I weigh ~150lb, the roads I ride on are not that harsh, and I am riding GP5000 28mm rims.

Thoughts?
rim brake?
noodle soup is offline  
Old 11-13-20, 12:02 PM
  #1282  
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,046

Bikes: 2019 Scott Addict SE Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup View Post
rim brake?
Disc Brakes
WorldIRC is offline  
Old 11-13-20, 01:35 PM
  #1283  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,837
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4643 Post(s)
Liked 1,758 Times in 949 Posts
Originally Posted by WorldIRC View Post
Disc Brakes
canít go wrong with the AR46 or AR56.

I have the AR56 with DT Swiss hubs. It works well with 28-30mm tires.
noodle soup is offline  
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 11-13-20, 02:34 PM
  #1284  
sean.hwy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: San Jose
Posts: 309

Bikes: Topstone AL 105 / SystemSix Carbon Ultegra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 51 Posts
Thank you
jfranci3
noodle soup

I just place me order this morning. It was weird to get the 3% off I had
to post my facebook page. oh wells.

I did this so my gravel bike can have two sets of rims ( one for gravel, one for road). I plan to kick
down my OEM road bike rims from my 2019 system six to my 2019 topstone
which has
Rims
WTB ST i23 TCS, 28h, tubeless ready
Hubs
Formula RX-512 12x100 front, RX-142 12x142 rear




Originally Posted by jfranci3 View Post
Sean -
1) 24 high end spokes are over kill for you. I think those fulcrum are 16f x 21r big spokes. Traditional rims are super shallow by todays standards - like 14mm deep vs your 35mm rim. That bigger rim is WAY stronger than the shallow rim. The higher end spokes are also a more resilient than the basic ones (1.5x stronger and 4x more durable). As a result, you don't need as many to get a stiff durable wheel. I'm 200lb, I've broken quite a few wheels, and I haven't had an issue on 24x24 bladed spokes on modern rims after lots of abusive miles. Anyway 24x24 is standard disc brake.

2) DT 350 are not a low end hub. The DT 240 is the same hub with 60gr more material machined off the hub shell. The 240 does use the new EXP mechanism in back, which is louder than the old one. 60gr on a 10% climb is equal to a .5w power difference. I'd get the 350 hands down. 60gr isn't worth $250 and quieter is better. For $24, you can do their flyweight and take 100gr off the rim, which is better than taking it off the hub.

3) Sales.... not really - you can scroll through here . It's usually just clearing out old stock with highend hubs. It'll be $100 off some $1100 combination. I've looked elsewhere, their prices are about the lowest you'll find. Tip= the NA versions of the wheel are more expensive, but you save a lot in shipping and wait time. Consider the NA build.





Originally Posted by noodle soup View Post
sean.hwy is offline  
Old 11-13-20, 03:00 PM
  #1285  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,837
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4643 Post(s)
Liked 1,758 Times in 949 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy View Post
Thank you
jfranci3
noodle soup

I just place me order this morning. It was weird to get the 3% off I had
to post my facebook page. oh wells.

I did this so my gravel bike can have two sets of rims ( one for gravel, one for road). I plan to kick
down my OEM road bike rims from my 2019 system six to my 2019 topstone
which has
Rims
WTB ST i23 TCS, 28h, tubeless ready
Hubs
Formula RX-512 12x100 front, RX-142 12x142 rear
what setup did you decide on?
noodle soup is offline  
Old 11-13-20, 03:14 PM
  #1286  
jfranci3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy View Post
Thank you
jfranci3
noodle soup

I just place me order this morning. It was weird to get the 3% off I had
to post my facebook page. oh wells.

I did this so my gravel bike can have two sets of rims ( one for gravel, one for road). I plan to kick
down my OEM road bike rims from my 2019 system six to my 2019 topstone
which has
Rims
WTB ST i23 TCS, 28h, tubeless ready
Hubs
Formula RX-512 12x100 front, RX-142 12x142 rear
Sean - I recommend asking for the Satin finish when they send the order review email to you. It's something between gloss and matte - it looks a lot nicer than both. It's sort of a dry look.
jfranci3 is offline  
Likes For jfranci3:
Old 11-13-20, 05:27 PM
  #1287  
sean.hwy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: San Jose
Posts: 309

Bikes: Topstone AL 105 / SystemSix Carbon Ultegra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup View Post
what setup did you decide on?
sean.hwy is offline  
Old 11-13-20, 05:31 PM
  #1288  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,837
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4643 Post(s)
Liked 1,758 Times in 949 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy View Post
nice.

I bought a DT Swiss 350 rim brake version for a friend.

he loves the wheels, and canít believe he didnít go tubeless sooner.
noodle soup is offline  
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 11-13-20, 05:33 PM
  #1289  
sean.hwy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: San Jose
Posts: 309

Bikes: Topstone AL 105 / SystemSix Carbon Ultegra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by jfranci3 View Post
Sean - I recommend asking for the Satin finish when they send the order review email to you. It's something between gloss and matte - it looks a lot nicer than both. It's sort of a dry look.
ok will do if they ask me.

thanks.

Can't wait for my gravel bike to have two sets of rims. I am not sure if I will notice much of difference on my road bike since I think the OEM rims where probably pretty good.

My gravel bike on the other hand will have a huge improvement with one wheel set for gravel and the other for road.
These are my current road bike wheels. When I put them on my gravel bike my gravel bike was soooo much faster.



sean.hwy is offline  
Old 11-13-20, 05:37 PM
  #1290  
sean.hwy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: San Jose
Posts: 309

Bikes: Topstone AL 105 / SystemSix Carbon Ultegra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup View Post
nice.

I bought a DT Swiss 350 rim brake version for a friend.

he loves the wheels, and canít believe he didnít go tubeless sooner.
I was going back and forth with the DT Swiss 350 and DTswiss 240. I thought at my age this will probably be last road bike and wheel set I will ever need. I doubt I will ever out grow it.

My gravel bike on the other hand I could see replacing it with something a little nicer. When the GP5000 28 wear out I will probably throw some gp5000 32mm on it.
sean.hwy is offline  
Old 11-13-20, 05:55 PM
  #1291  
jfranci3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Order a new cassette and a couple of tires while you're at it. Probably a couple of chains too (11sp chains are in short supply).

The new wheels will be a LOT less active in gusty winds. The Fulcrums you have are narrower and more V shaped.

Last edited by jfranci3; 11-13-20 at 06:03 PM.
jfranci3 is offline  
Likes For jfranci3:
Old 11-13-20, 08:05 PM
  #1292  
sean.hwy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: San Jose
Posts: 309

Bikes: Topstone AL 105 / SystemSix Carbon Ultegra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by jfranci3 View Post
Order a new cassette and a couple of tires while you're at it. Probably a couple of chains too (11sp chains are in short supply).

The new wheels will be a LOT less active in gusty winds. The Fulcrums you have are narrower and more V shaped.
That's a good idea. I have spare cassette and chain I bought a while ago.

I need to buy some 160 disk. Those all the same? just buy what ever is on sale? I should probably get some brake pads. The gravel and road bike have about 2k miles on them. The last month I have been doing a lot of down hill. In my case I use the brakes a lot. Not really fan of 35+ mph yet on the down hill through turn and bumpy road.

I order this rim without holes. So does that mean I don't need tape to run tubeless ?

They let me change the finish to satan via email.

Last edited by sean.hwy; 11-13-20 at 08:11 PM.
sean.hwy is offline  
Old 11-13-20, 08:28 PM
  #1293  
jfranci3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy View Post
That's a good idea. I have spare cassette and chain I bought a while ago.

I need to buy some 160 disk. Those all the same? just buy what ever is on sale? I should probably get some brake pads. The gravel and road bike have about 2k miles on them. The last month I have been doing a lot of down hill. In my case I use the brakes a lot. Not really fan of 35+ mph yet on the down hill through turn and bumpy road.

I order this rim without holes. So does that mean I don't need tape to run tubeless ?

They let me change the finish to satan via email.
Discs are discs for the most part. SRAMs are a hair thicker, but they all weigh and brake the same. Get basically the same ones as you have now, so the offset will be the same between the wheelsets. If you're going Shimano, they have some that are Resin/Organic pads only, but you should be running resin pads anyway. You might want to go 140mm in the rear for better lockup control on initial bite.
jfranci3 is offline  
Likes For jfranci3:
Old 11-13-20, 08:45 PM
  #1294  
sean.hwy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: San Jose
Posts: 309

Bikes: Topstone AL 105 / SystemSix Carbon Ultegra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by jfranci3 View Post
Discs are discs for the most part. SRAMs are a hair thicker, but they all weigh and brake the same. Get basically the same ones as you have now, so the offset will be the same between the wheelsets. If you're going Shimano, they have some that are Resin/Organic pads only, but you should be running resin pads anyway. You might want to go 140mm in the rear for better lockup control on initial bite.
yeah my road bike came with 140 in the rear. I converted to 160 a while back ago so I could swap my road rims on the my gravel bike. I guess I could drop it back down to 140. No need to steal my new rims on the gravel bike now since that bike will have two sets of wheels. I can't imagine a good reason why I would need to swap the alumni fulcrum rims on my road bike if I have carbon wheels.
sean.hwy is offline  
Old 11-13-20, 09:16 PM
  #1295  
jfranci3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy View Post
yeah my road bike came with 140 in the rear. I converted to 160 a while back ago so I could swap my road rims on the my gravel bike. I guess I could drop it back down to 140. No need to steal my new rims on the gravel bike now since that bike will have two sets of wheels. I can't imagine a good reason why I would need to swap the alumni fulcrum rims on my road bike if I have carbon wheels.
With 2 bike and 3 wheelsets, I tend to keep the 25c/28c "pure road' wheelset on the road bike, while the gravel bike gets the gravel tires and fat road / roubaix tires for foul weather and long cruises.
jfranci3 is offline  
Old 11-14-20, 09:07 AM
  #1296  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,837
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4643 Post(s)
Liked 1,758 Times in 949 Posts
Originally Posted by jfranci3 View Post
If you're going Shimano, they have some that are Resin/Organic pads only, but you should be running resin pads anyway. .
Why do you say that?
noodle soup is offline  
Old 11-14-20, 09:34 AM
  #1297  
jfranci3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup View Post
Why do you say that?
Organic/Resin pads are 'common' pads that have better initial "cold" bite and quieter. The metallic pads are made for higher temps and prolonged stopping.
jfranci3 is offline  
Old 11-14-20, 09:43 AM
  #1298  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,837
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4643 Post(s)
Liked 1,758 Times in 949 Posts
Originally Posted by jfranci3 View Post
Organic/Resin pads are 'common' pads that have better initial "cold" bite and quieter. The metallic pads are made for higher temps and prolonged stopping.
Correct.

It all depends on the riding you do, I haven't seen Sean say anything about the terrain in his area, but I might have missed that.
noodle soup is offline  
Old 11-14-20, 01:44 PM
  #1299  
jfranci3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup View Post
Correct.

It all depends on the riding you do, I haven't seen Sean say anything about the terrain in his area, but I might have missed that.
Maybe I know exactly where Sean is riding :-)
jfranci3 is offline  
Old 11-14-20, 03:02 PM
  #1300  
sean.hwy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: San Jose
Posts: 309

Bikes: Topstone AL 105 / SystemSix Carbon Ultegra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 51 Posts
noodle soup

I have been riding since March a little over 4k miles 144,108 ft. For the most part I was riding flat. The last several weeks I have been trying to do more hills.There's a lot of great hills very close to were I live.

Jfranci3 and I know each other from another forum board.

google maps

sean.hwy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.