Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is my pedal damaged?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Is my pedal damaged?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-20, 09:56 PM
DonRafa
Love 2 Ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Is my pedal damaged?

Hi everyone, I have a technical question after a domestic incident. I was checking my road bike this afternoon for tomorrow's ride when I lost balance and knocked it over unintentionally. The bike was leaning against a wall in my garage and it landed hard on the right handlebar (drop part) and the right pedal (Favero Assiona non-powermeter side). The handlebar tape got scratched, which is not a big deal (hopefully the fork is fine), but the right pedal is now slightly scratched on the composite (plastic) material near the hub and the hinge on the outside. The question is: should I be worried now about the integrity of the pedal's composite material? Could it fail resulting in a broken pedal and a potential fall?
Thanks a lot, Rafa.
Old 11-28-20, 10:02 PM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
It is extremely unlikely that a fall from a stationary position would cause any real damage to your pedal.
Pictures would help make a call.
Likes For Oldguyonoldbike:
Old 11-29-20, 10:58 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
No. Put all that worry energy into looking out for car doors, potholes and distracted drivers..
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 11-29-20, 04:33 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
No. Put all that worry energy into looking out for car doors, potholes and distracted drivers..
I'm sort of surprised he couldn't tell himself. Ain't it difficult to analyze what you can't see?
Old 11-30-20, 10:38 AM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
You forgot "distracted pedestrians."
Old 11-30-20, 11:07 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Having rehabbed dozens of kid's bikes at my local co-op I can tell you that these plastic pedals can take an incredible amount of abuse. Your mild drop doesn't compare with the frequency and severity of the slams to the ground kid's bikes endure. The only time I've seen a crack is when the outside of the pedal has been significantly abraded away or when the dust cap is gone and the bearing cones are damaged. In that case, the central core sometime starts to split.

Granted, your pedals are many quality steps above what I see. That should reassure you even more.