Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Pics of your Local TOB (Take-off Bin)

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 03-07-20, 07:31 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts

I keep hearing about these, but haven't seen one in the couple shops I've frequented. I wanna ask them where it is, but for some reason feel strange doing so.
Can anyone share pics of their local take-off parts bins? Also, do the parts have stickers with prices written on them?
Old 03-08-20, 07:10 AM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
I've never seen one in the local shops when I have visited. My assumption, if they have one, they aren't kept out in the open. I haven't asked either.
Old 03-08-20, 07:32 AM
C.corri

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I just bought 2 saddles from the take off bin at local bike shop. I went looking for a specific model and was excited to see more than one. I just asked the worker to look through any take off saddles they had, and he brought out a plastic bin full of them.
Old 03-08-20, 07:55 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
the shops I worked at all had saddle bins though not out in the open, mostly we used them to swap back and forth for someone who didn't like the factory one and would use them on builds if people didn't state a preference. If the bin got too full then some would be put out though usually not the wider ones. The shop owners usually didn't care if one or two ended up on an employee's bike, just one less cheap item to inventory in january.
One shop I visit puts saddles out during their semi-annual sale and I tend to pick up a few 10.00 saddles for projects and helping friends. They also put out some drop bars on occasion so I do have some spare mid-level bars for whatever comes up. The last few months they've just had a pair of small square tables near the door with stuff they're trying to blow out. Another shop you have to ask if you want to have something and its whatever they come out with, screwed up a bunny hop over a log in the woods with the cross bike and they managed to surface a 26mm drop bar for 20.00 just for asking.
Old 03-08-20, 03:38 PM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
Hmmmmm...

...soon to be consolidated...found an amazing, three deep drawer, metal cabinet with shelves to the side that will gobble up all of the good stuff!
Don’t tell anybody about my secret stash area...

Me

ss

y...

Hmmm...looks just like a plain ol’ covered workbench to me...

Lil’ somethin’, somethin’ that I came up with as I was putting the floor in...next time I’ll drop this down farther to capture more un-utilized area in this area!

Nothing spectacular...

...until ya need it!

Last edited by billnuke1; 03-08-20 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Editing...
Likes For billnuke1:
Old 03-09-20, 12:31 AM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
The only take-offs I recall were for saddles. My favorite local shoppe used to have a large drum full of them. Now they only have a small basket of take-off saddles. I asked the owner why this is and she said because companies are selling bikes with better stock saddles. Last Summer I bought two take-off saddles from her for $25 plus tax. They're among my current favorite saddles so she might be on to something. They're every bit as comfortable as the $70 saddles I've bought in the past.