Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Minimum Tire Pressure

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Minimum Tire Pressure

Old 10-05-20, 11:30 PM
mrblue

Bikes: Canyon, Bowman & Colnago

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 20 Posts
Minimum Tire Pressure

I am using 25c tires on a set of wheels with internal rim widths of 17mm. I typically run about 80psi in the rear and 75psi in the front. I recently noticed on the sidewall of my tire, it says, "minimum pressure 100psi." Am I going to have problems by not running my tires at the minimum pressure? I would rather not run the tires at 100psi as I really like how the bike feels at the pressure I typically use.
Old 10-06-20, 12:29 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,259 Times in 868 Posts
Why are you so intentionally vague?
Brand/model tire?
Your weight?
Ignore List.
Old 10-06-20, 06:18 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Brand/model tire?
Your weight?
Ignore List.
Man, who pissed in your cornflakes?

OP: Bill asks relevant questions, here, even though he has no interest in the answers.

Gotta say, 100 psi sounds really high for a min pressure.
Old 10-06-20, 06:31 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
It's more common for a maximum pressure to be provided than a minimum pressure, but 100 psi is in the ball park for a 25 mm tire. Continental's GP5000 recommends 95-123 psi for the 25 mm size (link here). And their Gatorskin recommends 95-120 psi (link here). Jumping over to Schwalbe, their basic Durano lists 85-115 psi (link here).

Perhaps this is an older tire model, perhaps harkening back to when it was more common practice to inflate tires to about as high as they could go as a common practice?

Personally, I inflate tires (of any size) to a pressure that feels right to me. I generally run as low of a pressure as I think I safely can and still avoid pinch flatting and rolling a tire in a corner. I'm a 240 pound guy, and the narrowest I've ridden is a 28 mm tire (a tire which was really more like 25-26 mm fully inflated). I ran about 60 psi in the front and 80 psi in the rear. 70/80 psi on a 25 mm tire seems like a pressure I'd run, especially if I was any lighter than I am!

Last edited by hokiefyd; 10-06-20 at 06:35 AM.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 10-06-20, 06:49 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
The only problem you are likely to have from running lower tire pressure is pinch flats. If you are on the light side and ride mostly on smooth roads and haven't had a lot of flats, there should be no reason to run higher pressure. Bike tires aren't like car tires which will get excessively hot and suffer side wall damage if run at too low pressure.
Old 10-06-20, 06:55 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
The manufacturers are concerned about deflection under maximum load. There's enough of a safety factor that those of us carrying normal loads don't worry about it.

In addition to pinch flats, extremely low pressure can allow the tire to slip on the rim when braking, tearing a valve stem.
Old 10-06-20, 08:19 AM
mrblue

Bikes: Canyon, Bowman & Colnago

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Brand/model tire?
Your weight?
Ignore List.
Hi Bill!
The tire is a Vittoria Rubino Pro G+ 2.0. My weight is ~130. My favorite food is Spanish or Brazilian. My eyes are brown and my mom says I have a smile to die for. I grew up on the Atlantic coast and I'm a Capricorn. And according to that cute little placemat at the Chinese buffet I was born in the year of the tiger. I enjoy smooth jazz, long romantic walks on the beach and stimulating conversation over a glass of fine wine. I hope this answers all your questions, Bill. If you're still interested please let me know but be advised, I do not put out on the first date. XOXOXO
Old 10-06-20, 01:30 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by mrblue
Hi Bill!
The tire is a Vittoria Rubino Pro G+ 2.0. My weight is ~130. My favorite food is Spanish or Brazilian. My eyes are brown and my mom says I have a smile to die for. I grew up on the Atlantic coast and I'm a Capricorn. And according to that cute little placemat at the Chinese buffet I was born in the year of the tiger. I enjoy smooth jazz, long romantic walks on the beach and stimulating conversation over a glass of fine wine. I hope this answers all your questions, Bill. If you're still interested please let me know but be advised, I do not put out on the first date. XOXOXO
Awesome reply to a jackass post. Well done!
As for tire pressure I think you're definitely on the right track. A min pressure of 100psi is ridiculous.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 10-06-20, 01:51 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I weigh 40 pounds heavier than you and usually run 90-95psi in 25mm tires. 100 seems awfully high for a minimum pressure.
Old 10-06-20, 06:12 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Yeah, Vittorias are always weird that way.. I think my 25mm Corsas indicate a 100-140 range as Min-Max. Originally thought maybe had something to do with supple cotton sidewalls or some other nonsense. I ride mine in the 90-100psi range, though because my weight probably says I should. Curiously Veloflex also have pretty relatively high min-max ratings as well.
Old 10-07-20, 12:55 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3867 Post(s)
Liked 6,452 Times in 3,192 Posts
I am using 25c tires... I typically run about 80psi in the rear and 75psi in the front.
That sounds fine for your weight of 130. I address good, high-pressure road tire inflation as a function of total weight (rider+bike+pack) and tire width. You can calculate it using this site:

Bicycle tire pressure calculator
Old 10-07-20, 01:19 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I was surprised to see Continental recommended pressures of 95-120 psi on the GP Classic (700x25 only). I weigh 150, and usually ride around 85 psi rear, 70 psi front (with latex tubes), depending on the road surface. The tires were already good, but in terms of comfort the latex tubes improved the ride even more. No real problems in a year on those tires. I did have one pinch flat last year when I had to dodge a couple of trucks that suddenly converged and forced me to take a line that ran across a brick that fell off one truck trailer bed. No harm to the tire or rim, just a typical snakebite on both sides of the tube. Only snakebite flat I've ever experienced and it took a pretty unusual situation to cause it. I doubt that running higher pressure would have helped in that situation.

Recently most of the nearby pavement has been busted up, resurfaced with the roughest chipseal I've ever encountered, awaiting smoother blacktop which may be months away. So I've been riding at softer pressures for comfort -- and it still shook my headset and rear spokes loose.

On another bike I'm using Soma Supple Vitesse SL tires, 700x23, around 100 psi rear, 85 front. Pretty good, even on rough chipseal. I plan to try latex tubes with those tires as well and maybe reduce the pressure a bit. So far, so good, no problems, no unusual wear or punctures.
Old 10-09-20, 07:57 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Hi Bill!
yup, you deserve a gold star on your report for that one.

and yes, the minimum pressures on sides of tires are often much higher than what many of us regularly use.
I'm only about 135-140 and the 28mm slicks Ive used for ages have a min. of probably 90 or maybe more marked on them, but I run them regularly in the 75-80 range, which makes a huge difference in riding comfort and cornering grip.
Yes, of course when too low you're cruisin for pinch flats, but you should be able to get a feel for what is too low by experimenting with diff pressures and how things feel. And of course also as noted, some riders "ride heavy" and smack seated heavily into holes and stuff, while others "ride light" and can get away with lower pressures with no issues.

I have seen a touring companion run too low pressures on his very heavily loaded bike for too long and his sidewalls had visual X patterns that showed he was stressing the sidewall too much too often, but this was with a heavy guy and one heck of a heavy loaded bike, so an extreme case. I've never had sidewall issues ever, and the few times Ive had pinch flats was when I've neglected tire pressures for too long and smacked into hard edged potholes commuting pretty hard when commuting and in a rush, so no real surprise.
You learn pretty quickly what is too low for you and your specific tire/pressure/riding conditions mix of stuff.

ps, good luck on getting a date