Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Cycling and Healing

Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Cycling and Healing

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-23, 08:51 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
Cycling and Healing from Dentistry

As I'm sure most people in this group are relative to very fit (I classify myself as somewhere in between but getting harder to maintain that status as I age) I've always felt exercise is crucial to healing and health. Since making exercise a priority in my life over the last 20 years I've been able to recover from sickness and injury quicker than the normal person and try and stay away from prescribed or over the counter medication, if possible. Definitely gets harder the older I get.

Recently had a tooth infection which required a root canal and have had a painful week or so but really trying to keep cycling in my schedule. Do you try and do this as well? My energy levels are low due to lack of sleep and constantly fighting pain and I can't ride too hard as I find increased heart rate = more blood flowing to my tooth making it throb with pain.

I'm not a stranger to dental work as I've had a previous root canal, tooth pulled, cavities, etc... but this time it's really taking a toll on me. I'm on anti-biotics which are really messing with my stomach and alternating between extra strength Tylenol and extra strength Advil.

Not having a fun week, that's for sure.

Last edited by gthomson; 09-22-23 at 12:11 PM. Reason: my title was vague
Old 09-21-23, 09:25 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
I've been told not to exert myself after some dental procedures, like tooth extractions & implants. it's OK to rest, to heal
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 09-21-23, 11:22 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I've been told not to exert myself after some dental procedures, like tooth extractions & implants. it's OK to rest, to heal
Probably a good idea as I'm really getting tired of my same old routes I ride through the spring and summer anyways. I just hate not being active.

The annoying thing is, I ask the dentist what are my do's and don'ts he'd recommend? All he says is you might want to avoid chewing with that tooth. Do you think?

I can barely touch the tooth without wincing so I'm sure as hell not going to chew on it. He didn't mention anything about other life style activities.
Likes For gthomson: