Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to put SPD-SL cleats on SPD MTB shoes?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-23, 05:54 AM
dr_max

Bikes: BMC SLC01 Promachine with full DA grupo on Ksyrium ES/ BMC Roadmachine 01 One disc Ultegra with DT Swiss

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts

My wife bought the Sidi Dragon 5 SRS MTB shoes yesterday, they were $250 instead of $450.

they have nice stiff carbon sole and carbon toe protection for gravel and MTB riding however they are SPD compatible.

My wife has 2 bikes and I have 3 bikes which have all Shimano SPD-SL pedals. What are my options here?

Last edited by dr_max; 12-24-23 at 05:58 AM.
Old 12-24-23, 05:56 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
Throw SPD MTB pedals on your wife's bikes? Changing pedals is a snap.
Likes For ridelikeaturtle:
Old 12-24-23, 06:01 AM
dr_max

Bikes: BMC SLC01 Promachine with full DA grupo on Ksyrium ES/ BMC Roadmachine 01 One disc Ultegra with DT Swiss

Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
Would you recommend any?
had SPD pedals 20 years ago and haven’t followed the performance improvement in them

https://www.bicyclesquilicot.com/fr/...-noir-epded500

https://www.bicyclesquilicot.com/fr/...-noir-epdm540l
Likes For dr_max:
Old 12-24-23, 06:12 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
I can't make a recommendation, though I can't imagine the tech has changed a lot.

I'm sure there are others who will see this post and chime in with experiences using MTB SPDs on a road bike, which I've never done. Weight differences, feel differences (cleat size, platform width, etc).
Likes For ridelikeaturtle:
Old 12-24-23, 06:19 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,087 Times in 1,182 Posts
Basic pair of Shimano 520’s, $45.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 12-24-23, 07:09 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
I have xt spd pedals on one bie and spd sl ultegra on another both are great and it is seamless going from one to another.
Old 12-24-23, 09:55 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Isn't there an adapter that can be used to use 2-bolt cleats on 2-bolt shoes? I seem to recall that it is a plate with the drillings for both patterns. Bolt it to the shoe and the cleat to it. (But it does add stack height. How much I do not know. I've never seen them. I have heard their were well made and worked well, if you could live with the stack. The name? No clue. Sorry.)

For some of us there is a huge difference between SPD cleats and SPD-SL (and all the LOOK systems and a few others) and that is the inability to lock out float. Float would have had me on knee replacements decades ago.

Lake used to make their less expensive shoes with the bolt patterns for both. (In those days I was cash strapped and the expensive ones were out of the question so I never looked.) Now it seems it is either/or. I have two pairs of their best of two years ago, 3-bolt, really nice leather, dual BOA and as comfortable, at least on my feet, as shoes can get. (Nice big toe box!) These shoes cost between the OP's wife's sale and retail, so not cheap but if my experience with LAKE hold true, they should hold up and be joys to wear most of the rest of my life. (Oh, the burgundy red goes wonderfully with my freshly painted Mooney and Hermes Red Saphir shoe polish 1) make that leather come alive and 2) is color perfect!)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 12-24-23, 03:44 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,927 Times in 4,160 Posts
I believe there are adapters to put 2 bolt cleats on 3 holed shoes, but not vice-versa which is what the OP wants.

Agree best option is try SPD pedals. Plan B could be return the shoes for a model that takes 3 bolt cleats.
Likes For datlas:
Old 12-24-23, 04:15 PM
Mtracer

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 194 Posts
Looks like there is and adapter for this. While there are many, many to adapt a SPD cleat to a 3-bolt shoe, this one looks to go the other way around, what the OP needs. Looks like it's going to add significantly to the stack height.

https://www.amazon.com/CyclingDeal-C...c1df98776&th=1
Old 12-24-23, 06:02 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Originally Posted by Mtracer
Looks like there is and adapter for this. While there are many, many to adapt a SPD cleat to a 3-bolt shoe, this one looks to go the other way around, what the OP needs. Looks like it's going to add significantly to the stack height.

Thanks! That looks like a good unit.

Now, if my shoes looked like that one and the adapter was sitting on the sole lugs and not the flat in the area around the SPD cleats, I wouldn't think twice about cutting or grinding the lugs until the adapter sat flat. (I use 1/4" plate s under my right cleats to make up a right leg that came from the factory short. I do exactly that to get the adapter plate to fit in some of my shoes.)
Old 12-25-23, 08:58 AM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
In addition to Shimano, you may be able to find Look X-Track SPD pedals as well. Their entry level models are often cheaper than Shimano 520s, and their higher end models have a bit of extra platform around the cleat that might add some stability to the pedal.

It may be an opportunity to try Time ATAC or Eggbeaters, too.
Old 12-26-23, 12:34 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
I like these

Old 12-26-23, 12:52 PM
79pmooney

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I like these

That pic doesn't say but those pedals take the 2-bolt SPD cleats despite looking like a 3-bolt cleat style pedal. (No experience here on how they work. I just went on-line to verify the cleat type. Being Shimano, they are probably rock-solid boring.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 12-26-23, 01:03 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
That pic doesn't say but those pedals take the 2-bolt SPD cleats despite looking like a 3-bolt cleat style pedal. (No experience here on how they work. I just went on-line to verify the cleat type. Being Shimano, they are probably rock-solid boring.)
Curiious why you would recommend a single sided entry pedal that is twice as expensive and more difficult to use then the 520/540 pedals that are dual sided entry and easier to use and cost half as much?
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 12-26-23, 01:22 PM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 300 Times in 172 Posts
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
+1. Have those Sidi shoes and use them with my several bikes, all of which have SPD compatible pedals of various designs. So much easier than juggling shoes among bikes having different pedal standards.

Last edited by Rick_D; 12-27-23 at 11:18 AM.
Likes For Rick_D:
Old 12-26-23, 02:02 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
Yes, 2 bolt SPD cleats, compatible with OP's shoes. It's a road-ish single sided pedal. I found them to be more comfortable on longer rides than the traditional double sided SPDs. Shimano used to also have a less expensive version (A20?) but the 600 seems to be the only current model.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 12-26-23, 03:57 PM
79pmooney

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Curiious why you would recommend a single sided entry pedal that is twice as+ expensive and more difficult to use then the 520/540 pedals that are dual sided entry and easier to use and cost half as much?
1) I made no comment at all on how good they are or why anyone would of should use them. 2) Many singe-sided pedals have far more pedal clearance cornering. Some of us like to optimize our opportunities to pedal without unpleasant strikes. (Pedals like these can also allow lower bottom bracketed bikes to be ridden strike free and take better advantage of the cornering edge of the lower center of gravity.) 3) Some shoes offer less than full support across their widths and benefit from a wider platform.

Edit: "rock-solid boring" In my book: very good

Last edited by 79pmooney; 12-26-23 at 04:02 PM.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 12-26-23, 04:28 PM
Steve B.

1) I made no comment at all on how good they are or why anyone would of should use them. 2) Many singe-sided pedals have far more pedal clearance cornering. Some of us like to optimize our opportunities to pedal without unpleasant strikes. (Pedals like these can also allow lower bottom bracketed bikes to be ridden strike free and take better advantage of the cornering edge of the lower center of gravity.) 3) Some shoes offer less than full support across their widths and benefit from a wider platform.

Edit: "rock-solid boring" In my book: very good
Agree with you on foot support. I prefer dual sided SPD pedals for ease of use, but did have many foot pain issues using them with mt bike shoes with less then good stiffness. Thus I used SPD-L pedals for many years, generally hated them as I would struggle getting the cleat engaged (foot issues). Thus went back to regular SPD md carbon soles shoes which solved the pain issue. He OP mentioned his wife was using carbon soled shoes so I assume the shoes will provide plenty of support.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 12-27-23, 05:47 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Curiious why you would recommend a single sided entry pedal that is twice as expensive and more difficult to use then the 520/540 pedals that are dual sided entry and easier to use and cost half as much?
He didn’t recommend them. Someone else did.

They have more of a platform/distributed support to reduce hotspots (although the Sidi soles probably do a good job of that anyway)

Personally I wouldn’t use mtb shoes and cleats on a road bike but plenty of people do.

Last edited by choddo; 12-27-23 at 05:54 AM.
Likes For choddo:
Old 12-27-23, 07:45 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Mtracer

While this obviously achieves the required bodge, it adds a load of stack height and 260g of weight. I know the shoes were a bargain, but using road shoes in the same price bracket would be a far better solution here ie no bodge required to fit cleats.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 12-29-23, 10:59 PM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 246 Posts
Originally Posted by choddo
Personally I wouldn’t use mtb shoes and cleats on a road bike but plenty of people do.
I sure do. No disadvantages that I can see to using SPD shoes / pedals even on a road bike. With good shoes hot spots are not an issue, double sided entry, and they don't make you walk like a duck when you're off the bike. Plus the cleats are far more durable than SPD-SL cleats.

I run the aforementioned M520 pedals on both of my main bikes and they are fantastic - great quality at a low price. Can't beat them, IMO.
Likes For The Chemist:
Old 12-30-23, 01:39 AM
choddo

Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by The Chemist
I sure do. No disadvantages that I can see to using SPD shoes / pedals even on a road bike. With good shoes hot spots are not an issue, double sided entry, and they don't make you walk like a duck when you're off the bike. Plus the cleats are far more durable than SPD-SL cleats.

I run the aforementioned M520 pedals on both of my main bikes and they are fantastic - great quality at a low price. Can't beat them, IMO.
I just prefer the look of them (Keos, not spd-sl), the profile, weight, 3point adjustability and the stability/feel over long distances (I have a couple of SPD equipped bikes too and they certainly have their advantages)

cleat covers are essential to walk on them more than a couple of yards though.

Last edited by choddo; 12-30-23 at 01:58 AM.
Old 12-30-23, 10:01 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 186 Posts
While not popular among roadies, I switched to SPD pedals on my road bike years ago and haven't looked back. I always hated walking like a duck when wearing Look-style SPD SL style cleats and shoes. Modern carbon sole shoes are so stiff, one doesn't notice or feel what pedal is attached (i.e., no "hot spots"). The only downside to using SPD pedals is likely the weight of the shoe and pedal combination, but if one isn't racing, it doesn't matter.
Likes For PoorInRichfield:
Old 12-31-23, 07:28 AM
dr_max

Thanks everyone for the advices
really appreciated

Ordered some classic double sided SPD for $35 on sale online with free shipping. She did 3 spinning sessions on Wahoo and no foot pain whatsoever from the cleats since the carbon insole are really stiff.

She had terrible foot pain on my sidi T3 triathlon show using SPD-SL cleats 4 years ago before switching to Fizik shoes. Doesn’t seem to be a problem with the SPDs with those shoes.
Likes For dr_max:
Old 12-31-23, 08:52 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
I have carbon soled Sidi MTB shoes and use them with Shimano XT and XTR pedals on all of my bikes (road, CX, MTB).

I stopped using road specific shoes/pedals many years ago, finding no benefits vs running MTB shoes. There's a slight weight penalty I think, but beyond that I notice no difference in stiffness/support and enjoy being able to walk into coffee shops.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.