Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Computers: wire, wireless & gps.

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-14, 09:17 AM
Fudgeurpizzy

Bikes: 2014 trek 7.7fx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Boy have these things come a long way. Just picked up a cateye stealth 50 gps unit. Was going to get the garmin 500 but the cateye is doing great so far. What I really like about it is there are no need for sensors unless you want cadence. No wires, no magnet on a spoke real clean installation is what I like the most. Testing it on my rides and with a 1sec refresh my speeds have been spot on. Being able to upload rides to strava I really didn't care about but now that I have done it it's pretty cool to see the ride mapped out, time, speed and avg.

I had the bonny node 1.1 but the bloody sensor was burning threw batteries in record time so I returned it and put the credit towards the stealth 50.

What is everyone using for a computer? I honestly can't ride without a cycling computer.

Last edited by Fudgeurpizzy; 10-17-14 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Suck at typing.
Old 10-17-14, 10:43 AM
DirePenguin

Bikes: 2014 Trek 8.3 DS, 2022 Trek Domane SL5

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Fudgeurpizzy
What is everyone using for a computer? I honestly can ride without a cycling computer.
I tried, very briefly, using the Wahoo sensors and RFLKT but was very disappointed with them.

Switched to a Garmin Edge 500 with the new magnetless sensors (and HRM) and have been very happy with the setup. It's really interesting to be able to see all of that data on Garmin Connect or MapMyRide.
Old 10-17-14, 10:57 AM
Fudgeurpizzy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was thinking about getting the edge 500 and still might. The edge has some mighty fine reviews. My Lbs would have to order the garmin so I excepted the stealth 50 but can return on warranty. Setup a strava account and uploaded a short 7mi ride. It really is fun seeing everywhere I went and the rides stats. Since I live on a1a and go North or South it will be interesting to see my times and avg's improve hopefully.

Only had the cateye for a short time but so far so good.
Old 10-17-14, 11:04 AM
krobinson103

Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Old Etrex Vista Hcx. Its a handheld navigation unit, and as such has a moving map, and can calculate routes etc. It also runs on AA batteries which makes it ideal for long rides. If I do burn through 12 hours of riding time and my spares are somehow flat I can just buy more. Also accepts usb power if you have it. Best gadget I ever got. Won't upload to Garmin connect, but if I want to I can just download all the data to the computer then upload it. Personally I couldn't care less about the data, rather its usefulness on the ride.
Old 10-17-14, 11:07 AM
carbon14

Bikes: 2014 Sirrus Comp Carbon, 2013 Fatboy, 1993 RockHopper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also have a Stealth 50 and have been pretty happy with it. The only real problem has been an occasional failure for the GPS to track part of my route. When that occurs and I upload a ride to Strava or the Cateye site a section of the route appears as a straight line between the two points where the tracking ended and started again. It also seems slow to sync up with my HRM at times but that's probably because the HRM is not detecting my heartbeat rather than the S50 not working correctly. I also use a Bontrager cadence sensor and it always works great with that. I got mine for $90 off Amazon (where the prices seem to fluctuate daily for it) and would definitely recommend it if you want an inexpensive but well featured bike computer.
Old 10-17-14, 11:41 AM
Juha
Formerly Known as Newbie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
An old Polar RS300, with the separate GPS receiver. It's a bit of a hassle compared to current self-contained GPS units, but the darn thing just won't die. Back then pretty much the only self contained GPS device in this size was the Suunto X10, with less than impressive battery life. They've come a long way since then.

Wristwatch design is not optimal for cycling, but I use the device for paddling and XC skiing too.

--J

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Old 10-17-14, 12:13 PM
chewa
The Flying Scot

Bikes: Custom (Colin Laing) 531c fast tourer/audax, 1964 Flying Scot Continental, 1995 Cinelli Supercorsa, Holdsworth Mistral single speed, Dahon Speed 6 (folder), Micmo Sirocco and a few more

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a Garmin 800 at the end of last year. I like it because of the 5 bike set up.

1985 Sandy Gilchrist-Colin Laing built 531c Audax/fast tourer.
1964 Flying Scot Continental (531)
1995 Cinelli Supercorsa (Columbus SLX)
1980s Holdsworth Mistral fixed (531)
2005 Dahon Speed 6 (folder)
(YES I LIKE STEEL)
2008 Viking Saratoga tandem
2008 Micmo Sirocco Hybrid (aluminium!)
2012 BTwin Rockrider 8.1
Old 10-17-14, 12:15 PM
Lt Stonez

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Comp Carbon Disc '14

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The first snow has come to my place today, sow i can wait for this polar Polar V650. The wireless bike computer with GPS | Polar Global

or ill just pickup garmin 810 bundle pack. Its on discount here i live. Same price as the 510 modell...
Old 10-17-14, 12:18 PM
Fudgeurpizzy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carbon14
I also have a Stealth 50 and have been pretty happy with it. The only real problem has been an occasional failure for the GPS to track part of my route. When that occurs and I upload a ride to Strava or the Cateye site a section of the route appears as a straight line between the two points where the tracking ended and started again. It also seems slow to sync up with my HRM at times but that's probably because the HRM is not detecting my heartbeat rather than the S50 not working correctly. I also use a Bontrager cadence sensor and it always works great with that. I got mine for $90 off Amazon (where the prices seem to fluctuate daily for it) and would definitely recommend it if you want an inexpensive but well featured bike computer.
@carbon14 $90 is a steal I'm jealous! Since I had to get it threw my Lbs it was 140 something. I'll be watching the stealth 50 very closely for any glitching or gps signal drop and jump to the edge 500.
@krobinson103 does the unit display speed? More of a hiking gps unit you use for cycling?
Old 10-17-14, 12:24 PM
Fudgeurpizzy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@chewa the garmin 800 is one nice piece of kit.
@Lt Stonez I have never heard of that brand going to check that piece of kit out.
Old 10-17-14, 01:41 PM
Ray Dockrey

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been using the Wahoo sensors with my iPhone for about eight months and have had no issues. I just got the RFLKT+ and I am having zero issues with it. With the RFLKT the phone loses about six to seven percent battery per hour.
Old 10-17-14, 03:18 PM
krobinson103

Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
@carbon14 $90 is a steal I'm jealous! Since I had to get it threw my Lbs it was 140 something. I'll be watching the stealth 50 very closely for any glitching or gps signal drop and jump to the edge 500.
@krobinson103 does the unit display speed? More of a hiking gps unit you use for cycling?
Does speed/averages/altitude etc. Just about any data you could want. Doesn't do cadence or HR, but I care not about those. It will take gpx courses and show you a plot or a highway display, or a cue list, or even a turn by turn graphical display. It can navigate a parachute jump, or tell me when where the sun and moon are. It has a built in compass and barometer for alltitude. It will work for 'sight and go' navigation if I want it to. All in all a great unit. Best of all I got it second hand for $100.

The new Etrex units do even more. Display 3d terrain data, connect to Garmin connect, have wireless transfer, and cost from $300-$600 depending on the model. Totally worth it. When mine dies (8 years old and its still perfect!) I'll get another etrex for sure. Its less a hiking Gps and more a swiss army knife do it all GPS. Has a cycling mode as well.

Last edited by krobinson103; 10-17-14 at 03:21 PM.
Old 10-18-14, 07:03 AM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Garmin 200. Only interested in altitude so it's good enough for me.
Old 10-18-14, 07:46 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Lt Stonez
The first snow has come to my place today, sow i can wait for this polar Polar V650. The wireless bike computer with GPS | Polar Global

or ill just pickup garmin 810 bundle pack. Its on discount here i live. Same price as the 510 modell...
RE: Edge 810

Read reviews and the Garmin support forums. Many people are rather upset with it, as it seems to still have loads of bugs and the impetus has gone to fix it....whereas the Edge 1000 has gotten half a dozen firmware updates since it was released. Was because of that I went all in and got the Edge 1000 (after trying the Magellan/Mio Cyclo 505 for a week).
Old 10-18-14, 08:00 AM
saeyedoc

Bikes: Trek 7.3 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DirePenguin
I tried, very briefly, using the Wahoo sensors and RFLKT but was very disappointed with them.

Switched to a Garmin Edge 500 with the new magnetless sensors (and HRM) and have been very happy with the setup. It's really interesting to be able to see all of that data on Garmin Connect or MapMyRide.
I got my 500 refurbished on Amazon for a great price and paired it with those magnetless sensors as well. Love it so far.
Old 10-18-14, 08:24 AM
BigRedClydesdal

Bikes: 2014 Norco Valence A1, 2012 Miele Umbria 1, 2010 Norco Scrambler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a RFLKT+ in conjunction with my smartphone and Wahoo sensors. Each of my bikes has a smartphone mount as well as a RFLKT+ mount.

I like the setup because it was cheap and easy to add to all my bikes.

The disadvantage is, if my smartphone is dead I have no computer. But I'm good at keeping it charged, it has a big battery (Note 2). And with the RFLKT+, the battery consumption is minimal.
Old 10-18-14, 07:15 PM
browngw 

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 229 Posts
4 bikes, 4 mountings, 1 Edge 200. Easy and reliable @ $120 CDN. Logs ride data speeds and climbing. Works every time and has decent battery life.
Old 11-01-14, 08:51 PM
bicyclridr4life
Bicyclerider4life

Bikes: Huffy Beach Cruisers, Miami Sun Trike, Vertical PK7, KHS Montana Summit, Giant Cypress DX, Schwinn OCC Stingray

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I use a wired Wally World "Schwinn"/"Bell" cycle computer. Tells me how slow I'm going, and how far I went. I don't really need more than that.
Old 11-03-14, 08:21 AM
DirePenguin

Bikes: 2014 Trek 8.3 DS, 2022 Trek Domane SL5

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 26 Posts
What is everyone using for a computer? I honestly can't ride without a cycling computer.
I've got a Garmin Edge 500 with their HRM and the new magnetless speed and cadence sensors. The setup has been working very well for me.
Old 11-06-14, 01:36 PM
saeyedoc

Bikes: Trek 7.3 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I too got the Edge 500 with the magnetless sensors. Got my Edge refurbished with one year factory warranty for a good price.