Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Your Weekend (or Week's) Rides -- Nov 24/25

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-18, 06:24 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts

Tell us all about your cycling (or other sports) on this last weekend of November!!
Old 11-24-18, 04:17 PM
Jakedatc

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Fri: Mtn bike ride near my mom's house with GF and some friends. was pretty cold at 30F but we bundled up and made it work. Good thing was the trail was frozen and really grippy.

Took today off to get ready for our CX race tomorrow. Should be warmer in the mid 40s but supposed to rain tonight so it might be another wet one. New race and course so it will be an important pre ride to get some lines figured out.
Old 11-24-18, 07:21 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 471 Posts
Got out to enjoy the nice weather before winter kicks in hard over the next few weeks. 54 miles, felt great. Ran into a couple groups, handful of cyclists. A far cry from the weeks leading up to RAGBRAI (insert ashokan farewell playing in background).

Old 11-24-18, 10:49 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Sunday -- a fitness organisation here advertised a run in a local reserve (natural area, where building is not allowed, but which often has trails for people to walk or mtn bike). What caught my eye was that it advertised running distances of 5K and 10K. The 10K distance fit in my plans, and so I signed up. I also signed Rowan up when I found out that it would OK for him to walk the 5K.

So today, that's what we did! Rowan walked a 5K trail, and I did a 10K trail run! I've run 10K on pavement, but not on a trail ... it's a bit harder on a trail. The route was two 5K out-and-backs, so I got to pass Rowan 3 times. The first 5K was faster than the second ... my legs were feeling it toward the end.

As it has been for almost a week now, it was cool, drizzly, misty and slightly foggy. But that was OK.

Distance: 10.01km
Elevation: 164m
Moving Time: 1:21:19
Elapsed Time: 1:22:20
Pace: 8:07/km
Old 11-25-18, 03:29 AM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm done in. I did a 49 mile ride with 4,000 feet of climbing. The weather was pretty good, but I was getting hot going up, and cold going down. The scenery was beautiful.

I'm learning the secret to being able to climb, just slow down, which was useful today. Lots of hills going over 9%, and then it didn't help when I took the hillier route back. The more I climb the morei like it though, but i had a couple really fun down hill sections today, almost deviod of cars, that were real fun too.

Top of Habu Dam in Toyota, Japan

Lake Mikawa behind the dam
Old 11-25-18, 07:23 AM
jbchybridrider 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 149 Posts
Been feeling inflamed and sore recently like another Rheumatoid attack but the weathers been really bad during the week lately and I haven't been very active, some sugary sweets too. Didn't feel like riding but have to keep exercising or I'm screwed with a long recovery so just took it easy so I'm active and will refocus during the week again.

Don't know the guy on the left

Found this built in 1840 theater in a back street right in the city centre
Old 11-26-18, 09:42 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
Thanksgiving day I rode out to Flatwoods trail intending to do a lap around the park and head home. However, I forgot it was closed for the holidays. I got back on the main road to head home when I heard the sound of a car travelling at speed. I moved over a far as I could when two street racers flew by. Scared the stuff out of me. I don't get people who will endanger their own lives and others for nothing. It was a Toyota Corolla vs. Nissan Sentra. Battle of the econo boxes. 40 miles anyways. Black Friday I went with my family on our traditional nature walk in the woods. Saturday did 40 miles to Weedon Is. Sunday rode for around 44 miles to Philippe Park and Courtney Campbell trail.
Old 11-26-18, 10:32 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts

Thursday was the traditional turkey ride- a 20+ mile mtn bike loop. Informal event that has become quite large over the years.

The authorities closed part of the route due to mud, which was odd because it was less muddy than some previous years. The alternate route

that my buddy took me on included single track that maxed out the capabilities of both me and my CX bike. 17, 2,200'

I saw a couple of CX bikes, but at the post-ride beer didn't see any other rim brake bike among hundreds. Very few

mtn bikes more than a few years old, even.

Saturday got in a basic road ride before a second (almost third) Thanksgiving dinner. 44, 2,400'

Finally got some rain which settled the fires and the smoke.