Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Bilaminate frame construction - "Alex Singer" style?

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-18, 03:17 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,801 Times in 2,285 Posts

I can understand the process to make it this way:

But am trying to figure out the order of fabrication in this method:

At first I figured one would just brass braze the "lug", then silver the tubes in, then I realized there would be no way to get any decent penetration into the lug. So then I figured silver in the lugs, mitered to match the TT and DT, then fillet braze with brass. But brass temps would melt the silver. So now I'm thinking you brass braze the lug onto the TT and DT, either pre-mitered, or mitered together with the tubes, then fillet braze the sub-assembly onto the head tube.

Anyone try this before?
Old 08-08-18, 04:17 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4209 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
I've done a few of the second version, not for full frame building but tools and play things. Flow brassed a sleeve with a lug like shore line cut on the tube end, miter sleeve and tube like a tube gets and fillet against the second joining tube. Use brass/bronze for both steps. Andy
Old 08-08-18, 04:40 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I've done a few of the second version, not for full frame building but tools and play things. Flow brassed a sleeve with a lug like shore line cut on the tube end, miter sleeve and tube like a tube gets and fillet against the second joining tube. Use brass/bronze for both steps. Andy
Thanks Andy, that's the only way I could think that it would absolutely work. Now I've got to go practice some old school brass/bronze lug brazing. I'm guessing the best way to do this would be to pre-miter the "lug" part and braze it onto the tube with excess, so I could use the excess tube to draw the filler in, then trim it back to the lug miter. I think you wrote the same thing using different words...
Old 08-08-18, 05:13 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Follow up question: 1" tubing fits inside 1-1/8" 0.58", and I've made a few scratch lugs that way, but they're pretty thick. I'm guessing the thing to do is turn down a 1-1/8" tube to thin it down first. Looking for someone with a lathe to do that.
Old 08-08-18, 05:32 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4209 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
I have read of both centerless grinding and simple turning down as thinning methods. Of course there's always filing Andy (who has a set of self made lugs in process and they will be for a long time)
Old 08-08-18, 07:29 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
I could turn some down for you

Herbie Helm had a beautiful frame at the Richmond NAHBS. He silver brazed the "lugs" onto the tubes and then brass brazed the tubes together. So you certainly could brass braze both.
Old 08-08-18, 11:56 PM
duanedr 

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
I'm guessing the thing to do is turn down a 1-1/8" tube to thin it down first.
I turn my seat cluster sleeves and other bi-lam sleeves down to around .045" wall thickness from .058". The thicker look is just a bit too chunky for my eye.
Old 08-09-18, 10:08 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by duanedr
I turn my seat cluster sleeves and other bi-lam sleeves down to around .045" wall thickness from .058". The thicker look is just a bit too chunky for my eye.
Agreed.

I've done a few scratch lugs with .058", and did a lot of filing and sanding to thin them out after brazing. It's a lot of careful work, would rather start with thinner material.