Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Calfee Bamboo Tandem - opinions.

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-18, 11:26 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts

Has anyone ridden or considered the Calfee Bamboo tandem ? Thoughts ?
Old 09-06-18, 12:10 PM
akexpress 

Bikes: 2015 Calfee Tetra tandem,2016 Calfee Tetra Adventure Tandem, Ventana ECDM 26 mtn tandem, Ventana ECDM 29r full suspension Mtn tandem ,Ventana Fat tire tandem, Calfee Dragon Fly, Santa Cruz Carbon 5010, 907 Whiteout fat tire

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
We rode one for a few hundred miles at a rally when our new Calfee got lost by Fed-Ex. They loaned us the bamboo tandem to use. It rode fine but I would like to ride one again now that we have lots of carbon Calfee experience. It certainly is a conversation starter and attracts lots of attention. I have not looked recently but I don't really think you save any money and I suspect not many are sold.
Old 09-06-18, 05:26 PM
Brian25

Bikes: Road, mountain and track bikes and tandems.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
I do not know about the tandems, but I knew someone who was checking out the single bikes and was allegedly put off by the extremely heavy (eight pound) frame weight. Even your basic d.b. steel frame is typically four pounds, aluminum & titanium are typically three pounds and carbon as low as 750 grams ( less than 1.5 pounds) even though Trek OCLV frames were 2.54 pounds. Just to keep it in perspective.
Old 09-10-18, 06:08 PM
PoeCo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I haven't ridden the Calfee bamboo tandem either, but we ride with a tandem group and one of the other duos own one. The only thing they've mentioned is that it feels heavy. Now, what their reference for "heavy" is, that I can't say. We ride a 55 pound tandem, and I know it's not as heavy as ours, so I suppose if one is used to a very lightweight tandem, perhaps the Calfee does feel heavy, but compared to ours, I doubt it's as weighty. If we see them again in the near future, I'll ask them for more details so that hopefully I can be more helpful.
Old 09-14-18, 11:31 AM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Friends of mine have one, it's their gravel bike, not sure what they think about it (they like it, I know)- I seem to recall that a while back, it developed some squeaks, so not sure what was up with that.