Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Your Weekend (or Week's) Rides -- Dec 15/16

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-18, 07:09 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts

Sorry ... just a bit late with this one. So ... have you been able to get out for some pre-Christmas cycling? Or maybe you're cycling inside these days?
Old 12-15-18, 08:30 PM
FeltF2Tarmac
Woman make me faster

Bikes: 2014 Felt F2 Di2 2018 Tarmac Comp Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Dialing in the new Tarmac so I got in a short ride today. Some more minor tweaks and it’s a done deal. As far as the ride goes it was not raining and pretty decent outside despite last nights windy rainy mess. Power kept going out, only for a few seconds but long enough to kill the time on all my clocks. Debris all over the roadside and in that part of the road I would prefer to ride pushing me more into traffic but any time on the bike is good time so really it could have been worse.
Still really like rim brakes but the hydraulic disc on the new bike are very impressive so I may find myself out more this winter.
Old 12-15-18, 09:27 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
26 miles on the road bike Saturday afternoon. Still feeling a bit of post-surgery blah, although my average time/speed is about the same as usual. Maybe I'm just impatient. Cool, clear evening, felt chillier than it really was. Gotta find another version of this old rural route. Recent development is making it too dangerous, too many impatient drivers now.

Might take the hybrid for a longer, easier ride Sunday. I tend to push myself too hard on the road bike even when I plan to take it easy.
Old 12-16-18, 03:02 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Sunday --

First, I went for a run and walk.

Run
Distance: 3.03 km
Elevation: 21m
Moving Time: 22:15
Elapsed Time: 22:20
Pace: 7:20/km

Then I walked a bit ... and stretched and lifted some weights.

Then we went for a short bicycle ride. We would have gone longer, but a big summer storm moved in.

Ride
Distance: 4.26km
Moving Time: 16:18
Elapsed Time: 17:00
Elevation: 26m
Speed: Avg: 15.7km/h | Max: 29.2km/h
Old 12-16-18, 05:45 AM
jbchybridrider 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 390 Times in 149 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat

Might take the hybrid for a longer, easier ride Sunday. I tend to push myself too hard on the road bike even when I plan to take it easy.
As a hybrid rider that's exactly what I thought too
Old 12-16-18, 06:05 AM
jbchybridrider 

Well my record of building up a bike while meticulously cleaning and polishing every component as I go then having sloppy wet ride conditions first time out remains unbroken

Aside from that though I absolutely enjoy the atmosphere of riding up in the cloudy moisture. It never rained and wasn't that cold but I was pouring with water off me like winter but it's summer? Next weekend it'll probably be 40c

Nothing special here just a pee stop before the climbing starts. I think Corkscrew Rd. will be in the TDU early next year again.

Just off the top of Corkscrew climbing Montacute Rd and start of the clouds

It never rained

Strangely clear at Mt Lofty only for a moment

That crank has to go
Old 12-16-18, 06:17 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by jbchybridrider
As a hybrid rider that's exactly what I thought too
Reworking my Univega Via Carisma helped reinforce the relaxed ride philosophy.

I switched from low flat to riser handlebars, then to Nitto albatross. Flopped first, path racer style. Too tempting to push faster. Now it's upright like a model citizen.

Tried various shifters. Borrowed a set of bar ends. Keeper.

Put the fenders back on. No more excuses not to ride.

It's a fun bike for long casual rides, solo and with friends.

But I'll take the road bike at least once a week to feed the need for speed.

Univega Via Carisma, still morphing into loafcycle mode.
Old 12-16-18, 06:44 AM
jbchybridrider 

Originally Posted by canklecat
Reworking my Univega Via Carisma

Univega Via Carisma, still morphing into loafcycle mode.
One of my hybrids is an old mtb too. Weight means nothing on it on hills it's got lower gearing. It's slower but don't care. I ride just as far as the roadie and it's very enjoyable
Old 12-16-18, 07:10 AM
Jakedatc

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Fri: took the day off with the weather warming up to mid 40F. Rode the mountain bike with my GF in the morning.. 9mi luckily the mud was still mostly frozen so it was not too sloppy.
Then I basically got home, ate lunch and drove out to a group ride a few towns away that a friend invited me to. 33mi nothing too fast but legs definitely felt the few hours of mtn bike later in the ride. First time on my road bike outside since Nov 1. Between Mtn bike, CX races and Zwift it just hasn't been out. It felt kinda weird the first few miles but by the end was all normal.

Sat: 41mi road ride with another friend. Luckily he rode his CX bike and I rode the road bike since my legs were pretty toast. Hit a few long straight sections with a tailwind for a change which was nice.

Sun: rain rain rain. Watching Zehoven CX this morning and CX Nat's later on today
Old 12-16-18, 01:59 PM
rivers

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 79 Posts
Lovely 50 mile ride today, and we beat the rain. Took my CX bike as the summer bike is in for it's pre-winter service before it gets put away for the winter. It was my first proper ride on the CX bike. I can really notice the difference with the lower gearing and tyres (46t big ring and hutchinson overide 35mm tyres). What I was impressed with is I managed up the biggest climb of the ride with the 36t little ring and 30 tooth cog on the back in a headwind, and still had a bailout with the 34 tooth cog that I didn't touch. I think I'll be able to swap the chainrings on the summer bike to 52/36 and not have to swap out the rear cassette (11-28). Pleasant ride overall, loads of people out today as well, which is nice to see
Old 12-17-18, 02:24 PM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
This weekend was mostly a washout again. I took Friday off and wanted to go riding, but the rains started early. It kept going off and on into Saturday. Sunday I finally got out for 40 miles to Upper Tampa Bay trail. Got sprinkled on for a bit, but not too bad. Other than that the only exercise I got was walking the dog in between rain. This coming weekend I'm taking time off for the holidays and it looks like it will be rainy again at least at the end of the week.