Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

upgrading Trek 1000SL

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

upgrading Trek 1000SL

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-06, 06:52 PM
tankman10024

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
upgrading Trek 1000SL

I'm thinking of getting the Trek1000SL and i've read in here that alot of you would upgrade the tire/wheels, brakes/derailers and this bicycle...now can you give me some more specific details as to what brands/model numbers would you upgrade to, of course for the time being i'll just enjoy the bike with the current components but if later i wanted to upgrade what should i be looking at?

Thx
tankman
Old 05-14-06, 08:03 PM
rufvelo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bike probably already has good enough components to go with it for its lifetime. Whenever something breaks, just get it replaced.

Just think about the numbers, you could easily put $2000 worth of components on it, but why would you..

ENjoy the bike, it is pretty good as is.
Old 05-14-06, 08:04 PM
the beef
100% USDA certified

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Well, if you're planning on doing a lot heavy duty upgrading (that will involve a lot of cash), why not get a better bike to start off of from? For two hundred bucks more you can lose the Sora shifters, get a pair of Bontrager Select wheels, and a 9-speed drivetrain with the Trek 1500.

Anyway, we can't just simply tell you what you need. It really depends on what you require. But a lot of people (including me) either can't afford or haven't gotten sucked into upgrade-fever, and are perfectly happy on their stock rides, with a few minor changes. Talk to your bike shop. Learn more. Do research. And evaluate your needs.
Old 05-14-06, 08:09 PM
InVisib0L
Guru N00b

Bikes: '06 Trek 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All I want right now for my Trek 1000 are new wheels/tires. Then I'll be done.... Hopefully. To be honest, I don't really need it.
Old 05-14-06, 08:18 PM
iamtim

Bikes: 2012 Motobecane Vent Noir; 2016 Mercier Kilo TT Pro

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Yeah, be careful. I've done LOTS of upgrades on my Trek 1000 and spent a pretty penny. Not that I'm dissuading you, but ask yourself this question:

"Do I want a bike I'm going to keep tinkering with and spending money on, or do I want a bike that has the components I want out of the shop?"

I'm the former; I get just as much enjoyment out of buying for, and installing shiny new components on, my bike as I do riding it. If you don't think that you fall into that category and are eyeing the 1000 with ideas about what to change already, you might just want to get a bike that has the components you want already installed.
Old 05-14-06, 08:42 PM
CardiacKid
SNARKY MEMBER

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The things that require the quickest attention are
1) Clipless pedals
2) Saddle
3) Tires
4) Front Derailleur
5) Bottom Bracket
Items 4 & 5 can be fixed by going with the 1200, which will also include better shifters and hubs. I never had any problem with the wheels and I weigh 200+.
Old 05-14-06, 08:46 PM
InVisib0L
Guru N00b

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I almost forgot about clipless pedals! A must need! Of course, some shoes. I have the Nike Altea II and they are pretty nice. They aren't the best because they are velcro but it does the job for now. The CF on the bottom is nice...
Old 05-14-06, 08:49 PM
iamtim

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CardiacKid
2) Saddle
3) Tires
Eh, those are pretty subjective. I really like the Bontrager Race Lux saddle, and I've even outfitted a second bike with one. And the tires have worked fine for me since September. The rest I agree with (although I have yet to touch my BB).
Old 05-14-06, 08:51 PM
InVisib0L
Guru N00b

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tim, how long do you think the Bonty Select tires will last?
Old 05-14-06, 08:56 PM
CardiacKid
SNARKY MEMBER

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by iamtim
Eh, those are pretty subjective. I really like the Bontrager Race Lux saddle, and I've even outfitted a second bike with one. And the tires have worked fine for me since September. The rest I agree with (although I have yet to touch my BB).
I have a saddle and 1 tire (the other was destroyed after about 500 miles) that I would be glad to trade.
Old 05-14-06, 09:08 PM
Cyclist01012
Banned.

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lets see mine had 3000 miles on them but about 1000 of that were roller miles. had one blow out at a club roller ride this winter ( a full preasure tire exploding in an enclose romm is kind of interesting) Bought another one just for the rollers. Ride the hell out of it.Not sure why people say the bb is bad, mine was up to 5000 plus miles before i changed it out and then only because I was sticking on a double crank. Same with the front der. In fact it wasnt as picky as my 105's are
Old 05-14-06, 09:29 PM
copper RS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you could get a 1500 with full 9sp Ultegra for $1000 and you wouldnt need those upgrades (tires maybe, the saddle isn't bad but its heavy)
Old 05-14-06, 09:53 PM
CardiacKid
SNARKY MEMBER

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
In 2005 Trek upgraded the rear deraileur on the 1000 to a Tiagra and went with a carbon seatpost, to keep the same price point they also reduced the quality of the front deraileur to a step below Sora and put on a generic bottom bracket that has a lot more flex, and durability problems. The mechanic at the lbs where I purchased the bike told me of the durability problem, I haven't witnessed this, but a good BB is only about $10. If your bike is pre 2005, then what I said doesn't apply.
The OP asked for suggestions for these upgrades so I will tell what I did. Most of these selections are totally subjective and there are other good alternatives.
1) Eggbeaters
2) Fizik Aliante Sport
3) Conti Ultra 2000
4) Dura Ace 9 speed (NIB ebay- $20)
5) haven't gotten around to it
Old 05-14-06, 09:58 PM
pcf

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Look around for a Trek 1500 with the 9 speed Ultegra setup. Much better deal than a Trek 1000 that you will upgrade later. Many of the shops that sell Trek are not aware of this offering, but look around and you will find it. I picked up one of these about 3 weeks ago and already have over 400 miles on it. Great bike, full Ultegra including Crank (double), Shifters, Derailleurs, and Bottom Bracket. I don't think I'll have to upgrade anything unless it breaks.
Old 05-15-06, 07:23 AM
cyclintom

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
One of the guys I was riding with yesterday bought a Trek 1000 with Discovery paint job on it. I didn't care for the components on it but they weren't bad. The frame on the other hand was equal to anything else you can buy. His girlfriend bought a women's specific 1500 and took apart her good bike and put all the Campy components and trick wheels on it and to tell you the truth she looked perfect on it. For the first time on a bike in 15 years she hasn't have back and arm problems.

I'm pretty sure that all of the frames in the series are identical and only the components are different. Back when I started riding the best Trek you could buy was the 1500. Today's 1500 looks better.
Old 05-15-06, 08:41 AM
iamtim

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by InVisib0L
Tim, how long do you think the Bonty Select tires will last?
Well, mine have lasted a good long while; coming up on a year. Don't know my total milage for the year, I'll look it up when I get home. But before I switched jobs in March I was commuting just under 10 miles each day, plus a hill-intensive lunchtime ride on them, and they held up well.

OH! Wait, I did replace the rear tire after something in a field of debris I accidentally rode through ripped the sidewall and caused the innertube to pop shortly thereafter. So I've had to change one.
Old 05-15-06, 08:41 AM
iamtim

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CardiacKid
I have a saddle and 1 tire (the other was destroyed after about 500 miles) that I would be glad to trade.
Yeah? Whatcha looking for?