Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Trip insurance questions

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Trip insurance questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-07, 05:26 PM
Dewbert
Mettle to the Pedals

Bikes: Giant Cypress hyrbrid, Giant OCR2, Giant OCRc2, Giant Suede (wife's)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trip insurance questions

Hi folks--
The group I'm touring with soon (Adventure Cycling Assoc) has told me about three times that they strongly recommend trip insurance (for trip cancellation and medical purposes).

1. Anybody have thoughts/opinions on trip insurance?
2. If you think it's a good idea, any recommendations on an insurance provider?

Thanks!
Old 02-27-07, 11:12 PM
supcom
You need a new bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
You might ask AdentureCycling for a list of recommended insurance carriers. Be sure to read all the terms and conditions carefully before signing up for insurance. Be sure you understand what conditions are eligible for coverage and any exclusions. You might also ask your homeowners or auto insurance agent if they offer coverage. If so, you might get a better deal through them.

Whether you should get the insurance depends on what the effects would be if you had to cancel and lose your fees and what other insurance you have.

I've never purchased trip insurance, and never found myself wishing I had, so I can't recommend any carriers.
Old 02-28-07, 12:30 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I've never gotten trip insurance, but then the only organized tour I've been on was very short and didn't cost much.

However, I do get travel insurance whenever I go anywhere. Travel insurance covers any health issues I might have as well as making the aspect of dealing with my death (if I should die out there somewhere) easier to deal with for my family. I also have insurance to cover my bicycle in case it happens to get stolen or damaged. That insurance is also useful for crossing the border as proof that I actually own the bicycle.

And just a little story to add to this ... not a cycling tour but ...

A coworker of mine signed up for a package deal through a travel agent to have her wedding somewhere in the Carribean. Everything was all arranged, and the guests were given a special deal on flights, accommodations, etc.. Most had already put down deposits. My coworker just told us today that the transportation has fallen through leaving everyone high and dry ... and leaving the bride and groom scrambling for a new location for their wedding. They are now in the process of trying to get all their deposits back. Here in Canada we do have some organizations who go to bat for people who end up in these situations, so they are making use of those organizations but it could be a very long time before they see their money. They now wish they had taken the insurance.
Old 02-28-07, 05:25 AM
stokell

Bikes: Custom built tourer, custom electric bike, beaters everywhere

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Also, in Canada those who have prescription, dental and eye glass insurance through their employer may also have travel medical insurance. Phone the 1-800 number on the back of the card. You will still have to purchase cancellation insurance at any rate, as Machka has so well stated. Some credit cards offer some form of cancellation insurance when you book using that card, so check it out.
Old 02-28-07, 11:38 AM
gizem310
Mutt Owner

Bikes: Trek 520

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dewbert
Hi folks--
The group I'm touring with soon (Adventure Cycling Assoc) has told me about three times that they strongly recommend trip insurance (for trip cancellation and medical purposes).

1. Anybody have thoughts/opinions on trip insurance?
2. If you think it's a good idea, any recommendations on an insurance provider?

Thanks!
I am going on a loooong tour and İ just signed a contract with a travel insurance provider. For $54/month, they cover all emergencies. Some people opt out on travel insurance but I'd rather have the peace of mind.
Email me if you'd like for me to send you their coverage and the contact info.
Old 02-28-07, 05:10 PM
Gotte

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd always get travel insurance beforehand to cover the likes of sickness, I'd also get bike insurance (I actually already have it for my bikes, as an extension of my household contents insurance) so if you're traveling, should the worse happen and your bike gets stolen, or some gorilla baggage handler stamps on it, you'll get the money back. It's especially important if you're flying, because quite often, the airline will make you sign a form saying should they purposefully run a 747 over your pride and joy, they don't have to pay you a penny.