Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Question about Frame Size and Beginner Bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-08, 02:39 PM
bliss1004

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello, I am new to the forums and also a newbie to the world of bicycling (so try to be nice =)) The reason I am looking to get into bicycling is for fitness reasons; I used to run track but now have bad knees and so this may be a good alternative. I have been doing online research to try to find a good beginner bike that meets my needs and have narrowed down to 2 choices: Specialized Allez or Trek 1.2.

The local bike shops are closed until after New Year in my area so I have not had a chance to talk to any one yet regarding fitment. However, I have done measurements at home and have found these results about me that might help answer my question:
Height: 5ft 6in
Inseam: about 30in
Weight: 125-130

Now, according to general charts my ideal bike frame size is about 51.

The Trek 1.2 comes in a 50 and 52, while the Specialized Allez comes in 49 or 52.
Is it generally better to go larger or smaller? I want a good mix of comfort and speed. Are these pretty good bikes for beginner riders? Thanks!
Old 12-30-08, 02:55 PM
groobiker
Cat 6 enthusiast

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,

My height is 5'6 (and a half) with a cycling inseam of 29in. (this is different from the inseam you might use to size pants). That said, I ride a 52 size in Trek, and a 49 or 50 size in Specialized. Each brand sizes differently. It is most helpful to find a knowledgeable local bike shop (LBS) to fit you if you are new to the sport. Fit is the most important part of getting a new bike. If you are between sizes it is better to get a smaller frame.

The choices you mentioned work well for getting fitness and as a first bike. Cannondale also makes a nice bike called the CAAD9 which may be readily available in your area. Try to get components which are Shimano 105 or better, although this may depend on your budget as well.

Best wishes and enjoy the exercise and stress-relieving benefits of cycling! I've been doing it for about a year and it has been really rewarding, regardless of what level you are at.
Old 12-30-08, 03:02 PM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
To answer the OP's original (and most important) question, slightly larger or smaller on a bike frame is not as important as being sure you can stand over the frame.

Everything else is secondary.
Old 12-30-08, 08:15 PM
deepakvrao

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
I'm 5'8" with a 81cm inseam and I tried a 54. Seemed a wee bit too much of a stretch - wil try a 52. This is Trek sizes.
Old 12-30-08, 10:50 PM
bliss1004

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So from what I am gathering, it is better to go smaller than larger? I am leaning towards the Specialized Allez, so a 49 would probably be better for me than the 52?
Old 12-31-08, 12:24 AM
yogi13

Bikes: '06 Specialized Allez Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bliss1004
So from what I am gathering, it is better to go smaller than larger? I am leaning towards the Specialized Allez, so a 49 would probably be better for me than the 52?
Usually better smaller than larger if you're between sizes, but some of that is rider preference for a more upright vs. laid out position. You really need to get on the bikes and ride them to figure out what feels better.

Frame geometry can get a little weird/compromised at the low end of the scale; seat tube and head tube angles get a little out of whack relative to each other, which can affect handling. That's another reason you might want to move up vs. down in size.

My guess is that you might fit OK on a 52 Allez, though you'd probably need to run a short-ish stem to do so.
Old 12-31-08, 12:54 AM
RyanW2050

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought my first bike today. Consider the CAAD9-7. Go to the bike shop and ask them what size you need.