Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Spoke nipples fell into my deep v rims

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-12, 06:07 PM
dandolemonhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone this is my first posting so let me know if I do anything wrong. I just removed the spokes from my wheels and lossened some of the nipples too much and they fell in to my rims. Has anyone else ever had this problem or have any idea of how to get them out?
Old 03-25-12, 06:24 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
This is not a SSFG issue. Moving to mechanics.
Old 03-25-12, 06:25 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Shake that rim until they fall through a hole, that's all you can really do.
Old 03-25-12, 06:33 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Hold the rim vertically to get them to fall to the bottom and try to pull them back through the inner bed holes with a long needle nose pliers or a hemostat.
Old 03-25-12, 06:56 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
You might need to use a large sewing needle to catch the hole in the nipple to turn it to align it properly so you can lead it out of the hole.
Old 03-25-12, 07:18 PM
mrrabbit 

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
If wheel is still loosely assembled:

- Spin wheel while mounted in forks, dropouts or stand.
- While it is spinning keep roughly tapping the sides with your knuckles.

Eventually they'll all fall out.

If all you have is a loose rim:

- Sit down.
- Hold rim in one hand clear of chair and knees and floor.
- Slightly toss and slip rotate the rim in hand in hand.
- While you keep doing that - use knuckles of other hand to rap the side of the rim.

Eventually they'll all fall out.

Occasionally you'll see a nipple resting across a hole - using a piece of spoke you'll be able to move it a tad such that the head tips and the nipple falls out.

=8-)

Takes a few minutes each time to get all the nipples out.

=8-)

Disclaimer:

1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
5. My all time favorite book is:

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life
Old 03-25-12, 07:20 PM
mrrabbit 

Sometimes a nipple will get stuck at the joint...

Changing rotation direction with a harder rap will knock 'em free...

=8-)

Disclaimer:

4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life
Old 03-25-12, 08:14 PM
reptilezs

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i usually drop a few grease coated bbs in the rim cavity
Old 03-25-12, 09:14 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
If you can't get the nipples out sew up glue can solve many a loose internal item. Andy.
Old 03-25-12, 10:10 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5776 Post(s)
Liked 2,574 Times in 1,425 Posts
First of all, if you're planning on reusing the nipples, you have zero chance of shaking them all out until you buy new nipples and no longer need these. Once you spend the dough and don't need them any more, they'll usually shake out pretty easily.

If the holes are small and the nipples won't come out unless they're oriented correctly, try so slip a straightened paper clip into them as they lay across the hole, then turn it vertical to slip the nipple free.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-25-12, 10:24 PM
mrrabbit 

Originally Posted by FBinNY
First of all, if you're planning on reusing the nipples, you have zero chance of shaking them all out until you buy new nipples and no longer need these. Once you spend the dough and don't need them any more, they'll usually shake out pretty easily.

If the holes are small and the nipples won't come out unless they're oriented correctly, try so slip a straightened paper clip into them as they lay across the hole, then turn it vertical to slip the nipple free.
1. Very funny FBinNY. Go back to school and get that Psychology degree... =8-)

2. All the gadgets, glue, etc, really aren't necessary. On average, I get 'em all out in 3-5 minutes time just using the rotate and tap method.

...which of course just made me realize that I can add another video title to the list of videos to make. "Removing Nipples from a 'Deep V' Rim".

Got quite a long list of videos to make...

=8-)

Disclaimer:

Old 03-25-12, 11:32 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
1 extra spoke, I thread the spoke on a few turns, head end ... it's a handle..
then I thread it onto the spoke, which unthreads it from my 'handle'..
Old 03-26-12, 05:58 AM
jolly_ross

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
- wheel vertical, valve hole at bottom, shake them down til under hole, fish out through valve hole with small screwdriver with magnet clamped to side of shaft

- If for some reason I've missed something and they're not magnetic - replace last step with blu-tack blob on end of driver

- or failing that, drop epoxy resin through the hole onto them so at least they don't rattle any more.
Old 03-26-12, 09:17 AM
tkncwa

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you can't get the nipples out sew up glue can solve many a loose internal item. Andy.
uhh...
Old 03-26-12, 09:31 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5776 Post(s)
Liked 2,574 Times in 1,425 Posts
Originally Posted by jolly_ross
fish out through valve hole with small screwdriver with magnet clamped to side of shaft

- If for some reason I've missed something and they're not magnetic - replace last step with blu-tack blob on end of driver
Yes, Brass or aluminum nipples aren't magnetic.

This isn't so complicated, the rim has a large number of holes (1 more than the number of spokes) big enough for nipples to fall out through. As mrrabbit says, a combination of shaking and tapping will have them all out soon enough. Pour yourself a beer, and give it a few minutes of patience and you'll have them all out before you finish the beer.

When rebuilding, there are a number of ways to feed the nipples to the spoke in a deep rim. My favorite is to use wooden shish kabab skewers. I jam the point into the back of the nipple, and it has enough bite to let me spin it on a few threads. Eventually the points wear or break off, but since it's a buck or two for a bag of 50 skewers I just pull out another. Round wooden toothpick work as well, but I find them too short, as will any pointy tool of the right size such as an icepick or awl.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-26-12, 09:54 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
What's the big deal?

Hold the rim vertically with the valve hole at the bottom. Shake it around for a few minutes. They'll eventually fall out. Always have for me.
Old 03-26-12, 05:16 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
Old 03-26-12, 06:22 PM
gyozadude

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1, 600, T700, MB-6 w/ Dirt Drops, MB-Zip, Bianchi Limited, Nashbar Hounder

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I average at least one to two dropped nipples per aero rim build, even with the extra spoke-kabob trick. That's just what happens watching TV and lacing at the same time. Mistakes happen.

And for folks who suggest rapping and shaking the rim to get it out, well, I've had the spoke-nuts from hell that get wedged in the rim some where and just somehow will not unwedge themselves. So I have created a spoke-nut-rooter. It's basically, my stiffest old school Shimano brake cable with soldered end. I can thread that in sideways through an adjacent hole, and poke it around and thrash it, until I hear the jingle of a loose spoke nipple, and then I use the rap technique and it shakes out the -really- stubborn wedged nuts. Nothing withstands my spoke nut "rooter."

Although to FB's point about buying new spoke nipples and then magically, through the "Murphy's" corollary on wedged spoke nipples inside aero rims, I have purchased extra nipples and keep them in stock. And I've learned the extension to Murphy's corollary which predicts that truly wedged spoke nuts inside aero rims don't magically come out if you already have extra spoke nuts in stock. They stay wedged until either rootered, or you finish the build, mount the tire, and then in the most peaceful, placid part of your ride, the nut will free itself and make its loose presence known to your and all around you, requiring you dismount, and then remove the tire and tube, and rim strip and then extract it.
Old 03-26-12, 09:27 PM
mrrabbit 

Originally Posted by gyozadude
I average at least one to two dropped nipples per aero rim build, even with the extra spoke-kabob trick. That's just what happens watching TV and lacing at the same time. Mistakes happen.

And for folks who suggest rapping and shaking the rim to get it out, well, I've had the spoke-nuts from hell that get wedged in the rim some where and just somehow will not unwedge themselves. So I have created a spoke-nut-rooter. It's basically, my stiffest old school Shimano brake cable with soldered end. I can thread that in sideways through an adjacent hole, and poke it around and thrash it, until I hear the jingle of a loose spoke nipple, and then I use the rap technique and it shakes out the -really- stubborn wedged nuts. Nothing withstands my spoke nut "rooter."

Although to FB's point about buying new spoke nipples and then magically, through the "Murphy's" corollary on wedged spoke nipples inside aero rims, I have purchased extra nipples and keep them in stock. And I've learned the extension to Murphy's corollary which predicts that truly wedged spoke nuts inside aero rims don't magically come out if you already have extra spoke nuts in stock. They stay wedged until either rootered, or you finish the build, mount the tire, and then in the most peaceful, placid part of your ride, the nut will free itself and make its loose presence known to your and all around you, requiring you dismount, and then remove the tire and tube, and rim strip and then extract it.
When a nipple gets wedged, it'll almost always be at the joint area...changing direction and rapping the sides of the rim will dislodge 'em.

The reason you need to rap or knock the sides of the rim - or shake as another suggested, is that most deep section aero rims have an inverted curve profile for the outer wall. Usually if there is a middle wall - it'll be flat - a non-issue.

What that inverted curve outer wall does is force the nipples to one sidewall or the other - hence why simply rotating the rim won't get 'em out - they'll mostly miss the holes. Rapping or knocking the the rim keeps 'em bouncing and sliding across the holes which means that one by one they'll all eventually fall through.

I have probably built upwards of 500 B43s, EEROs, iD42s, Trak Attacks, SL42s, and XR-380s including dozens of disassemblies - I have yet at this point in time to have to use any extraordinary gimmicks or tools to fish out nipples from these 38mm - 43mm section aero rims.

Who knows, my luck just might change - but I'm not expecting it...

Rotate, shake, rattle, rap, knock, they eventually come out...

=8-)

Disclaimer:

Old 06-30-18, 08:57 PM
hrdknox1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 40 Posts
Using a vacuum to get spoke nipples out after they've fallen inside your rim

What has worked for me, particularly with deep dish tubular rims, is to use a vacuum. The better vacuum that you can create, the better suction you will get. First, have all the nipples attached to the spokes so each spoke hole on the inner side of the rim is closed, and cover the valve hole.
​​Second, use a rim strip to cover the spoke holes on the outer side of the rim. These two steps will create a good vacuum. Then position the rim so the valve hole is at the bottom, and shake the rim to move the nipples near the valve hole. Finally, suck the nipples out with the vacuum. I use a Shop-Vac because it has tremendous suction, but probably most household vacuum cleaners will work. Be sure to have your vacuum empty before use.

Last edited by hrdknox1; 06-30-18 at 10:02 PM.
Old 07-01-18, 06:24 AM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
6 year old thread. If the OP has not yet solved the issue, he/she has gone batty from the loose nipple rattling around.
@hrdknox1 : Welcome to Bike Forums and thanks for posting. Your advice is novel and seems like it's a great idea; however the OP (original poster) is not listening - a single post in 2012 and then gone like the wind.
Old 07-02-18, 09:15 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by mrrabbit
4000+ wheels built since 1984...
Wow. That's impressive.

Sharing the craft secrets from that experience is very nice.
Old 07-03-18, 07:00 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by mrrabbit
Rotate, shake, rattle, rap, knock, they eventually come out...

=8-)
Yup. Most of the wheels I build are deep section profile, anywhere from 38 to 88mm. Losing a nipple inside during assembly is a common occurrence, but I can always get them to come out.