Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Best way to transport a dog?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-12, 01:43 AM
Training.Wheels
Cool Guy

Bikes: Jamis Sputnik, Leader 722 Heritage Edition, Brompton, Bianchi Via Nirone, Robinson SST, Diamondback Sorrento

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My dog is small/med sized and 20 lbs. I want to start taking him with me on my my dahon speed p8. Any suggestions on setups would be appreciated. Thank you!
Old 08-29-12, 01:53 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,359 Times in 865 Posts
Pet transport Box fitted to a (2 wheel) trailer deck..

Tow trailer ..
Old 08-29-12, 02:05 AM
badmother

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There is a lot of "talk" about this in the forums, also in the Recreation/Family and Utility forums. You can also be "yelled at" and told you can not do that- do not listen to the yelling. I ride with my dog all the time and I think a lot of dogs are almost bored to death from lack of exercise and adventure.

I have several setups. I made a homemade longtail (and is working on a 20" longtail) to carry the dog.

I have trailers that the dog can sit in, you can start with a cheap used child trailer.

You can buy several different baskets/bags (or adapt one to the use) to use in the front, this way you can be in contact with the pet. Make sure the basket/bag is rated for the weight you need it for and that you are comfortable riding with the weight up front. My dog (a 26 kg Bordercollie) is too big for this.

I have put a big cat in a big cat cage strapped to the rear rack of a folder. Great solution since the low rack and high seatpost leave a lot of room for the cage.

I have actually twice bolted a big plastic container to the rear rack of my 20" folder and transported my dog innside. He is used to all sort of bikeriding and do what I tell him. He like to run with the bike but is also happy to rest when needed.

If you have problems with the dog not being willing to co operate here is what I did: First time on the longtail (sitting on a wooden shelf innside a bag to hold him in place) i just told him to get in there while in our backyard. Told him "good boy" when he did the righ thing and told him to jump out at once. Then rode with him until he was in need of a rest, told him to jump in again, strapped the bag in to hold him secure and rode off. He is a bright dog and quickly realised that a rest is nice. Can also be done using a basket/bag or trailer.

This is a recent post from the Utilityforums https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...6#post14641546
Old 08-29-12, 03:02 AM
Training.Wheels
Cool Guy

Bikes: Jamis Sputnik, Leader 722 Heritage Edition, Brompton, Bianchi Via Nirone, Robinson SST, Diamondback Sorrento

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you guys, seems like the trailer idea is pretty popular, so I just ordered one off of amazon. Can't wait!
Old 08-29-12, 06:37 AM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I bought an Aosom 2in1 trailer last year and I use it for transporting my pets, cargo, groceries...

It appears that their prices have gone up substantially in the past year.