Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Raleigh Outland Questions

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-20, 11:49 AM
Scott RS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is my very first post on the Bike Forums, and though I love biking deeply in these Northern Minnesota Woods & Trails, I am not the owner of a Giant, Trek, Cannondale, Specified, or so many of the top tier mountain, hybrid bikes.

I am the owner of a new-to-me and used Raleigh Outland MTB. Currently I also own an old Fuji 10 Speed that I inherited from my Dad, an Eddie Bauer. My wife has a Marin, and my son a Trek. My best friend who bikes seriously owns a Giant. This store down our road (deep in the country) has a man who is 82 years old, was a supervisor at a major Northern MN Corporation....who ten years ago got into bike repair, bike sales (mostly used and refurbished). I met him yesterday.

The bike I bought out of his 100 or so was this bright orange/red Outland by the legendary (if not very cool) Raleigh.

It looks fabulous. I took it on its inaugral roll down our tar trail through the woods yesterday for 18 miles. It needs adjusting of the brakes, shifter, and perhaps some alignment.

Again, as a photographer who values gear and levels of gear while knowing what certain lenses can and cannot do ~ I always want to be kind to those starting out or affording lower level cameras. And I'm counting on the same here from my future "comrades on the forum" to not judge me based on this level. I realize that if I had $5-10K, life would be different for me on the trail, off the trail, and in my bank account.

I purchased this at $175. Question Time:

Does anyone else here have any experience, knowledge, wisdom, stories, tales, fables of your use with a Raleigh Outland? Or any Raleigh. I know that they go "way back." But this bike will be mine for I hope years to come. Suggestions on "affordable" upgrades to this very bike, things to pay attention to, notice, or be ready to encounter?

Thanks so much for your share (ahead of time!)

Sincerely,

Scott RS
Minnesota