Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Impulsive haul today

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Impulsive haul today

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-20, 10:27 PM
Alsobay

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 44 Posts
Impulsive haul today

Today gave me great results on a parts hunt. Initially went out in San Diego vintage local bike shops on the lookout for a Dura Ace 7400 bottom bracket. Lockdown excuse to get out. With little success and a relaxed mindset thanks to beautiful sunny day, my excursion continued and turned into a search for a vintage turntable.

Walked into a local auction and consignment shop to find a super clean Univega Ital Sport in charcoal grey. What a great stop to make. Frame is too small for me, but I asked for the price anyway. After inspecting it, I find that it is a fully Campy equiped bike. Excellent hoods, Cinelli bars and stem , brand new tires needing inflating. Not too sure about the seat...no dirt on the bike but a bit dusty. Surface rust on steel surfaces came of rubbed with fingernal. Looks like everything is going to shine up beautifully. The lady returns and gives me the price.

After a bit of back and forth, we struck a deal at $175. What a haul!!!!!

All parts minus the seat are going on my Bertoni Corse Mondial. Univega frameset will be for sale or may sell as a complete bike built with spare parts I have laying around.

Sounds like a free Groupset to me.

Last edited by Alsobay; 05-19-20 at 10:31 PM.
Old 05-19-20, 11:20 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Very nice! Not sure if that's Victory or Triomphe group. A little light oil and brass wool will clean all of that rust easily.
Old 05-20-20, 12:09 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3883 Post(s)
Liked 6,476 Times in 3,205 Posts
I snagged an Ital Sport for its group a couple years ago. It helped spark my interest in Victory/Triomphe. The '85 frame had a really heavy rear, so I had to build it back up to move it. Found a Tricolor group on another bike and converted the Ital Sport into a Japa Sport.

Mine came with some pretty sweet Gipiemme pedals, but I do like your Triomphe ones.
Old 05-20-20, 12:20 AM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 799 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 410 Posts
Originally Posted by Alsobay
With little success and a relaxed mindset thanks to beautiful sunny day,
It really was a beautiful day out here.

Mind sharing with a pal those local vintage bike shops? I usually rely on craigslist/ebay and haven't really explored much around town.
Old 05-20-20, 12:54 AM
Alsobay

Originally Posted by noobinsf
Very nice! Not sure if that's Victory or Triomphe group. A little light oil and brass wool will clean all of that rust easily.
THANKS!! I'm a happy camper. Triomphe.
Old 05-20-20, 01:01 AM
Alsobay

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
I snagged an Ital Sport for its group a couple years ago. It helped spark my interest in Victory/Triomphe. The '85 frame had a really heavy rear, so I had to build it back up to move it. Found a Tricolor group on another bike and converted the Ital Sport into a Japa Sport.

Mine came with some pretty sweet Gipiemme pedals, but I do like your Triomphe ones.
This stuff is a slippery slope. I've got to check out some pics of Gipiemme pedals. The goal is to end up with a light italian set up on the SL tube frame. The Japanese DA parts will be my Pug Vitus 980 frame. Very light
Old 05-20-20, 01:21 AM
Alsobay

Originally Posted by Piff
It really was a beautiful day out here.

Mind sharing with a pal those local vintage bike shops? I usually rely on craigslist/ebay and haven't really explored much around town.
Beautiful Raleigh!! Was the photo taken in Poway??
posting screenshots of a few of the shops. Chula Vista bicycles is my least favorite based on lack of communication and not super good attitude. Just my two cents

Last edited by Alsobay; 05-20-20 at 01:27 AM.