Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bianchi: History from a number?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-20, 08:26 AM
LT Ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all -- I got a sweet red Bianchi road bike from a second hand shop in Arlington, Virginia. Has Campagnolo groupset (2x 8 speed), and "Made in Italy" decals. Serial number A404357. Bike name, Bianchi Trofeo. Can anyone share its story on when and where it would have been made? Any other info on what class of riders it would have been marketed to (its performance level) would be appreciated. Many thanks, loving the expertise on this forum. LT Bike
Old 04-27-20, 10:11 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
It should be an Italian manufactured, sports model circa 1994-1995. Original MSRP was in the $650-$700 range. These are typically seen with Stratos (with down tube shift levers), which was Campagnolo's bottom of the line offering during these years. Basically, it was aimed at enthusiasts who wanted an all Italian bicycle but were on a restricted budget. Please post pics.

Last edited by T-Mar; 04-27-20 at 10:17 AM.
Old 04-27-20, 11:59 AM
LT Ride

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
T-Mar, thanks for the great info. You're spot on about the downtube shifters, though I couldn't find any annotation on any parts of the groupset showing the Stratos name (but no reason to doubt that). The cassette is a tight 12-23T with the chainrings being 39/52T. Those riders back in the day must have been leg strong! I tried uploading pics of the frame decals and close-ups of the components, but couldn't, maybe because I'm new to the forum. Thanks again, LT Ride
Old 04-27-20, 12:09 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4946 Post(s)
Liked 8,087 Times in 3,826 Posts
Originally Posted by LT Ride
T-Mar, thanks for the great info. You're spot on about the downtube shifters, though I couldn't find any annotation on any parts of the groupset showing the Stratos name (but no reason to doubt that). The cassette is a tight 12-23T with the chainrings being 39/52T. Those riders back in the day must have been leg strong! I tried uploading pics of the frame decals and close-ups of the components, but couldn't, maybe because I'm new to the forum. Thanks again, LT Ride
You need to get to 10 posts to upload pics.
Old 04-27-20, 12:32 PM
Munich Sausage

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
It's so funny. When I first joined this forum it was no problem to post pics right with the first post. I guess you'll just have to look for threads where you can (boarderline) ad something to the conversation an make some post (like I am doing right now )
Old 04-27-20, 04:09 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by LT Ride
You can upload photos. Though they won't attach to the thread, they will post to a gallery where members can view them.

I always find it amusing to hear riders' description of gearing. When I started out, riders would have considered the OP's Trofeo to have wide gearing. Bicycles only had 10 gears, the smallest available Campagnolo chainring was 44T and the freewheel was typically 14-21T. My first good bicycle was 14-18T paired with 46/50T. Now that was tight!
Old 05-21-20, 01:00 PM
ferrot

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need help to identify my bianchi Serial number

Hello All,
First of all, let me express my appreciation for all the information and expertises that is shared on this forum.
my name is ferry and I live in Jakarta, Indonesia, I purchased my Teal color bianchi back in 2011 from a vintage bike shop in San Diego US. I have been upgrading some parts of this bike, like crank shafts, sadle, pedals and break calipers. Majority of the parts are still unchanged as When I purchased my bianchi. It has modolo breaks, campagnolo group set, and mavic rims.
My bianchi has a decal sticker “Trofeo” and it came with the teal pump that you can horizontally holded on the frame.
also it has a decal that says made in italy
the bottom bracket serial# A6 8045.
I would highly appreciate if you could tell me what year is my bianchi? And, is it really Trofeo?
if this is a trofeo? I would love to understand, which bianchi product line Trofeo belongs? Is it the low end, middle end? Or was it targeted for serious rider or just a casual rider.

Thank you in advance for your attention, support, and cooperation.
best regards,

Ferry