Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Is this a Gitane Super Corsa?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 05-20-20, 08:58 PM
retyred

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 16 Posts

Bought this refurbished road bike in March. My research indicates it is a Gitane Super Corsa. Fork is a replacement as it has Shimano tips. Seat post is 26.4.

Am I correct?

Last edited by retyred; 05-20-20 at 09:04 PM.
Old 05-20-20, 09:11 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 251 Posts
Yeah. Good luck. Repainted & missing all the original stickers it's pretty hard to figure out. I can see it's got a Shimano 600 headset & shifters on it. So, it's probably a mid-1980's manufactured bike. Looks JIS to me.
Old 05-20-20, 09:18 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 347 Posts
Yes, looks like a Gitane Super Corsa to me.
Old 05-20-20, 10:47 PM
eeuuugh

Bikes: Aerotek 4000, Trek 950, Huffy Nel Lusso

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 49 Posts
Definitely a 70's frame with the lack of water-bottle and cable guide brazeons. Bottom bracket shell and rear dropouts look just like my 72/73 Tour de France. I've heard the 'fishmouth' chainstay/seatstay treatment at the dropouts is a giveaway that it's a Gitane. The reinforcement at the seatstay bridge indicates it's a nicer frame than my Tour de France, which just has a piece of rolled tube with the weld clearly visible. The Tour de France also has Simplex droupouts versus the Campagnolo dropouts on yours.
Old 05-21-20, 04:54 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 1,311 Times in 775 Posts
Looks like the only original bit is the DT guide. Could cost a packet to return to original, best left as a decent beater.
Old 05-21-20, 09:57 AM
gbi

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 40 Posts
The bike could be a Super Corsa or a Tour de France model, there is nothing I can see that would positively identify it as one or the other.
Old 05-21-20, 10:32 AM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by gbi
The bike could be a Super Corsa or a Tour de France model, there is nothing I can see that would positively identify it as one or the other.
In general, didn't the SC have Campy dropouts and the TdF have Simplex? (Yeah, I know it really depended on what was on hand at the time, but...)
Old 05-21-20, 10:34 AM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 106 Posts
BTW, the non-OEM fork and the bulge below the top head lug are both indicators of a frontal impact at some point in time.
Likes For rando_couche:
Old 05-21-20, 01:30 PM
retyred

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by rando_couche
BTW, the non-OEM fork and the bulge below the top head lug are both indicators of a frontal impact at some point in time.
I noticed the replacement fork at time of purchase but for $100 I knew I was still getting a deal. Had my eyes on the wheels for another bike. Also figured that the previous owner had invested time and money in the reconditioning process plus he had ridden it as well. I plan on checking out the head tube plus doing a few test rides.

Appreciate all your comments.
Old 05-21-20, 01:46 PM
gbi

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by rando_couche
In general, didn't the SC have Campy dropouts and the TdF have Simplex? (Yeah, I know it really depended on what was on hand at the time, but...)
Some TdFs did come with campagnolo dropouts. But, neither Super Corsas nor campagnolo dropout TdFs were very common. This, and the fact that the original fork, headset and decals are missing makes it questionable.
Old 05-21-20, 02:48 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 522 Post(s)
Quoted: 3228 Post(s)
Liked 3,854 Times in 1,436 Posts
Originally Posted by retyred
I noticed the replacement fork at time of purchase but for $100 I knew I was still getting a deal. Had my eyes on the wheels for another bike. Also figured that the previous owner had invested time and money in the reconditioning process plus he had ridden it as well. I plan on checking out the head tube plus doing a few test rides.

Appreciate all your comments.
If the steerer turns smoothly and the head tube angle is OK, it'll probably be fine. gugie has a Raleigh with a head tube that developed a bulge like that while he was installing the headset. I don't think it has given him any trouble. I agree that yours is almost certainly from a front end collision, but the results should be similar.