Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

'84 Trek 610 Conversion Questions

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-20, 01:49 PM
Rbonn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Just picked up this bike and it's primary purpose is to serve as my camping bike. I"m 65 and thinking about putting mustache bars with bar end shifters and a set of fenders. I'd like to install Schwalbe G One tires as well. I"m new to much of this, so any input is most welcome.

Regarding the bar conversion, can I get input on what bars might work and fit best? I'm totally ignorant about whether or not I can use the current levers, or would I need to get some other ones (suggestions?). If I use bar end shifters, what might be a recommendation?

Now, on to the tires. The bike has original clincher rims. I think I read that Schwalbe G One's are tubeless, but do they make that tread tire for clinchers?

Now that I have so much time on my hands, I"m thinking about playing around more with vintage steel. This forum has been most helpful as I've done research and I'd like to thank the community for sharing it's knowledge.

Rich
Old 08-05-20, 01:57 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
Rbonn Welcome to C&V. As you know, this is a great place to be. I have a '84 610 that was chopped up and abused. Stripped it down with the intent of painting. Added braze ons for a rack and bar ends or Ergos. Nice bike to modify.

The key to your bar selection is to make sure the stem matches the bars at the clamp.
If the levers are on the down tube, stock, you can still use them. The reality is that the reach is really the same with drops if you ride on the tops of the bars anyway. Moving to bar ends might be worth it if the upright bars you choose don't stick out to the side where the levers might be damaged. Others will chime in on their preference of whose bars and what configuration of bend. I only ride drops with the exception of MTB.
I would visit Schwalbe site to find out what they offer. Then it is a bit more work to find a supplier.
GLWTP! only three more posts and you can post pics. Otherwise you can add them to your album and we can access them there.
Old 08-05-20, 02:04 PM
phenry24 

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Paramount PDG-7, Peugeot PX10, Bridgestone MB-4, Kona Unit

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Regarding the bar conversion, can I get input on what bars might work and fit best?
That depends on your stem clamp diameter, I only have experience with the Nitto RM-016 mustache bars and I'm pretty sure they come in both 25.4 and 26.0mm clamp diameters.

I'm totally ignorant about whether or not I can use the current levers, or would I need to get some other ones (suggestions?).
If you get a mustache bar with a 23.8 brake clamp diameter, the original levers should work fine.

If I use bar end shifters, what might be a recommendation?
Suntour bar end shifters are great IMHO and can be found used for pretty reasonable prices. I have a pair of Dia-Compe ENE bar ends on one bike and I don't see any benefit beyond the newness and shininess.

Now, on to the tires. The bike has original clincher rims. I think I read that Schwalbe G One's are tubeless, but do they make that tread tire for clinchers?
You can run tubes in tubeless tires just fine, but tires not designated as tubeless are oftentimes cheaper than their tubeless counterparts. I've used G-One Allrounds set up tubeless for a few gravel races and they were pretty great tires. As far as I know I didn't suffer any punctures because I never heard any hissing or see any sealant splatter, but maybe the noise and dust of gravel could have covered either up.
Old 08-05-20, 02:33 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,082 Times in 522 Posts
I’m a big fan of porteur bars and recently used a pair of barcons with them, cutting out the ends of some rustines grips as I preferred the look to bar wrap on these.

Old 08-05-20, 02:35 PM
natterberry 

Bikes: ‘83/‘85 Trek 760, ‘82 Trek 614, ‘77/‘78 Trek 304, ‘74 Raleigh International

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 138 Posts
What brake levers are those, @polymorphself
Old 08-05-20, 02:38 PM
polymorphself 

Originally Posted by natterberry
What brake levers are those, @polymorphself
Velo Orange City Levers.
Old 08-05-20, 03:14 PM
Rbonn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you so much....when you said add them to my album, do you mean on a Flickr page?
Old 08-05-20, 03:27 PM
polymorphself 

Originally Posted by Rbonn
Thank you so much....when you said add them to my album, do you mean on a Flickr page?
That would work, but I believe they meant your bike forums account photo album.
Old 08-05-20, 04:03 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I have an '84 610 as well. It's a great bike and will make a fine touring bike.

Have you used moustache bars? In my opinion, they look good and perform terribly. There really aren't that many usable hand positions and none of them worked for me. I'm pretty easy going when it comes to bars and these are the only bars I've actively disliked. Your mileage may vary obviously.

If I were going to run flat bars on a road bike, I'd take a long hard look at trekking bars. I use them on one of my mountain bikes--a '92 Trek 950--and they're great. They have lots of usable hand positions. Just think of them as a drop bar squished flat.

1984 Trek 610

1992 Trek 950
Old 08-05-20, 04:09 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
You may also want to think about Nitto Albatross bars, or a lower priced equivalent, the Soma Oxford. These would need brake levers in 22.2 diameter (mountain/hybrid), but they are bored out to take bar end shifters. Also, the clamp diameter is 25.4mm, so you can use your current stem. (I'm assuming it's 25.4 at the clamp, not 26.0). They don't sweep forward as much as the mustache bars, and they are more upright. I recently added them to an MTB and love them.

EDIT: Here is a nice write-up: https://martinlopezwriter.com/2017/0...weptback-bars/

Last edited by noobinsf; 08-05-20 at 04:13 PM.
Old 08-05-20, 08:53 PM
Wharf Rat

Bikes: Miyata 610, Miyata 710, Cannondale SM500

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
If it’s got the original wheels, they are most likely 27 inch. This will limit your tire choices, but there are still plenty of decent options.

I have got a set of albastache bars on a commuter that I love. They’re a mix between the mustache & albatross.