Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

"Italian" Univega?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

"Italian" Univega?

Old 07-06-20, 09:14 PM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by kevindhaun
So I posted more pics of my Univega Super light. You can compare mine with the Italvga above . It's cool to see the differences. By the way , I bought mine at Jone's Bike shop in Long Beach on Long Beach Blvd. in 1980. I read that Ben Lawee , the guy who owned Univega owned those shops.
kevin, excellent pictures and documentation of your rare bike! You have really helped to fill in many key points. To wit:

The 58 is the frame size CTT and placed right where previous later Italvega Superlight frames had them stamped, non-drive side of seat lug. We both should thank Cycle Art for doing a great job with the paint and showing that detail so clearly.

The crank arm showing <9> was Campagnolo’s code for 1979. Later 1980’s cranks used a circle as in (2) for 1982. Couple this with the Patent 78 or 79 date code on the mounting knuckle of the Super Record rear derailleur that can just be seen in this pic you took. If you can get a clear close up focus that will cement the dates of these parts:

You can just see “Patent 78” or 79 imprinted on top of the lack mounting knuckle of the Super Record which is its production date.

The 172.5 mm cranks seemed to be pretty consistent for 58cm and larger frames. Lawee abdandoned the crank arm drilling (unreliable likely especially for very strong or heavy riders) and stayed with milling the star flutes through.

Similarly, the drilling of the chainrings and brakes was changed to milling slots partway into the chainring outer rings, and through the brake calipers and brake levers. Sort of in keeping with the stylized line font of the Univega logo pantographed so nicely on the chainring and stem. I agree the outer ring is a Record chainring with the inner ring sections removed and milled. The inner ring is likely a modified SR since those did not have inner rings at all..

The 27.2 mm Campagnolo seat post confirms the Columbus SL frame tubing choice. The vertical milling and U logo are nice touches.

The bottom bracket holes are very similar to the Italvega Superlight cutouts. Debris and water can easily enter and leave the bottom bracket so the use of a close sealing inner sleeve to isolate the BB spindle and bearings is imperative. A regular maintenance schedule for the BB is needed to be sure the bearing grease isn’t washed out if any riding in water or rain. The lack of clamp on or long brazed cable guides but routing the cables under the BB through two tiny guides is notable late 70’s style.

The brake bridge is the more robust and typical round tube instead of the flat plate bridge used on the Italvega versions.

The intricate and stylized “Univega” stem logo pantograph is superb. I wonder if any of the milking and pantogrpahing work was done here in the US at a contracted machinist ship or supplier rather than from Torpado. However, Torpado also did a lot of pantographing on many of its upper models including its own Superlight model in similar places as catalog pictured below:

Mulitpantogrpahed Super Racing model also pictured.

Similar Torpado Superlight X and Superlight models
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
torpadobrochure1.pdf (1.77 MB, 7 views)

Last edited by mech986; 07-06-20 at 10:37 PM.
Old 07-07-20, 10:01 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1421 Post(s)
Liked 1,038 Times in 769 Posts
Originally Posted by mech986
Thanks unworthy1, will wait to see what you have. In my iPhone With the mobile version of BF I can’t directly copy and paste pics. You have to choose where in your message you want the pics to drop “inline”, leave the cursor there, and then use the “manage attachments” button to choose and upload pics from internet or your photo albums or your device(s), choose them, it uploads a preview. You can then comment, change sizes, and move them around for order. Then importantly press the “upload” button link to fully upload to your message.

similarly, you can do the same with the desktop version but I think that one allows direct copy and paste of pics. If not, then same process as above.
I searched all the old photos that I saved and don't have any pix or record of the Italvega but I do not think it was as "silver" a color as the example you showed, was closer (in my mind) to the blue shown in the Torpedo catalog pix...but I'll never know cause it's all lost to history, now.
Likes For unworthy1:
Old 07-07-20, 10:19 AM
kevindhaun

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Mech986, thanks for all of the great information on my Superlight. I never dreamed anyone would still be around to answer these questions.You have confirmed this truly is the missing link between Italy and Japan. It has the Italian craftsmanship with the Japanese name. I checked and the Super Record RD is dated 78 , so that matches the front. Sadly, the stem broke at the bottom where the wedge fits in and I can't use it anymore. The frame finally cracked after 40 years. The drilling of the rear dropouts weakened them and I got a small crack on the right side . I was fearing I had lost my bike forever but a local shop was able to send the frame out to a welder who filled in the triangle and fixed it without much damage to the chrome. You asked about the chrome and the forks were always fully chromed but the rear was only chromed on the right chainstay and the tips of the seatstays. Before I repainted it , I chromed the whole frame , and CycleArt thought it would look great to leave the whole rear end I agree.
Likes For kevindhaun:
Old 07-07-20, 10:20 AM
mech986 

Originally Posted by unworthy1
I searched all the old photos that I saved and don't have any pix or record of the Italvega but I do not think it was as "silver" a color as the example you showed, was closer (in my mind) to the blue shown in the Torpedo catalog pix...but I'll never know cause it's all lost to history, now.
Unworthy1, thanks for trying. The Torpado catalogs seem to show more color, and the pearl finished Italvegas were sort of pastel or subtle colors. IMO, Lawee was quite fond of automotive colors and it was said he chose Mercedes metallic mist green for the Super Speciale frames of 74-76. If you can get info from your friend with his Italvega, that would help.

Kevin, I agree that Lawee owned Jones Bicycle so you have a continuing direct connection with Lawee's designs, Italvega / Univega, and his Italian connections. The line font Univega logo is a revised logo (1st was essentially an Italvega variant) and I believe was designed by Chuck Schmidt of Velo-Retro fame and the vintage ride every first Sunday starting at the Rose Bowl Aquatic Center in Pasadena. If you are still SoCal local, I invite you to come out and show us all your missing link Univega Superlight, assuming we can get back riding this ride eventually. Last two rides have only had 3-4 riders and most regulars were staying home.

Last edited by mech986; 08-10-21 at 12:08 AM.
Old 07-11-20, 01:35 AM
mech986 

Originally Posted by kevindhaun
Mech986, thanks for all of the great information on my Superlight. I never dreamed anyone would still be around to answer these questions.You have confirmed this truly is the missing link between Italy and Japan. It has the Italian craftsmanship with the Japanese name. I checked and the Super Record RD is dated 78 , so that matches the front. Sadly, the stem broke at the bottom where the wedge fits in and I can't use it anymore. The frame finally cracked after 40 years. The drilling of the rear dropouts weakened them and I got a small crack on the right side . I was fearing I had lost my bike forever but a local shop was able to send the frame out to a welder who filled in the triangle and fixed it without much damage to the chrome. You asked about the chrome and the forks were always fully chromed but the rear was only chromed on the right chainstay and the tips of the seatstays. Before I repainted it , I chromed the whole frame , and CycleArt thought it would look great to leave the whole rear end I agree.
Thanks for the update and sorry to hear about the needed dropout repair. Where did you get the frame rechromed and roughly how much did they charge you? Here in LA/OC, not many shops left that can do rechroming due to air and ground pollution control costs. I would certainly consider doing that to a couple of frames I have.
Old 07-11-20, 01:43 AM
kevindhaun

Originally Posted by mech986
Thanks for the update and sorry to hear about the needed dropout repair. Where did you get the frame rechromed and roughly how much did they charge you? Here in LA/OC, not many shops left that can do rechroming due to air and ground pollution control costs. I would certainly consider doing that to a couple of frames I have.
I live in Long Beach myself , but I chromed that frame more than 20 years ago , right here in town , before the new laws. I don't think they are around anymore. Now whenever I find an old bike to rebuild , I just clean up the chrome that's on it , no matter how bad it looks , and call it "Patina".
Likes For kevindhaun:
Old 07-13-20, 09:16 PM
kevindhaun

When all this covid -19 stuff is over I may join you at the Rose Bowl. Thanks for the invite.
Likes For kevindhaun:
Old 07-14-20, 11:40 PM
vascoboy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
My italian univega w campy

Old 07-20-20, 05:52 PM
kevindhaun

Pretty . I bet the brakes are Universal. I recognize the quick release lever.
Old 07-20-20, 06:06 PM
kevindhaun

Wow, that is a Campy Gran Tourismo in the back! Over kill for the gearing you have. The only place I ever saw another one on a bike is when they came standard equipment on the Schwinn Sports Tourer. I had one as kid and have an old blue one now from 1972. They are the most hated derailleur Campy ever made but I never had any problems , other than it tends to jump two gears at a time if your not careful. I like mine because it's shiny and original. Those little red "C"s are cool too. Whole Articles have been written about those Campy GTs , so I'll stop here because this is a Univega thread.
Likes For kevindhaun:
Old 11-28-20, 02:23 PM
Italvega

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Posting this in response to the Pearl Silver Blue Italvega Superlight;

This breaks my heart to see these pictures, and that this magnificent example of an Italvega Superlight has not garnered more attention, respect and adoration...I understand it is not the 'name brand' type like a Masi, but this was one of the finest bikes in the world when my father bought it in 1975...

If you are interested in 'facts' over 'theory'...I'd be happy to reply...

My father (producer of Neil Diamond) bought this Pearl Silver Blue Italvega Superlight from Wilshire West Cyclery in Southern California in 1975. The bike sold for about $1,200...the only changes made to the bike by Wilshire West Cyclery were the 'bar end (Sun Tour) shifters, Super Champion clincher rims (I put on the continental tires since the original tire rubber was dry rot).

This may in fact be the finest Original Italvega Superlight in existence! Along with the original Pearl Silver Blue paint in exceptional condition! In addition the Silca pump is color matched to the paint, which is incredibly rare!

I sold this bike, along with a Jim Redcay with Super Record components, Modolo brakes, and Specialized crank and pedals to 'Velo Pasadena' in Pasadena California (Hrach was the owner) in 2010 for a mere $300 for both bikes. My father and I were the original owners of this Italvega Superlight for 45 years, and it had less than 500 miles on it.

If you are interested in further discussions about this gem, feel free to reach out to me. I'd be happy to dispel any misconceptions from those who don't know what I know.

If you know of the whereabouts of this bike, feel free to have the owner contact me, if they want an accurate history and understanding of this bike, not clouded by misinformation and ignorance.

Yours truly and Happy Holidays!

Last edited by Italvega; 11-28-20 at 03:17 PM. Reason: added details and corrected misspellings
Likes For Italvega:
Old 01-29-21, 11:51 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1421 Post(s)
Liked 1,038 Times in 769 Posts
Originally Posted by vascoboy
Nice, is this in the Richmond or Sunset (SF)? I see a Basque flag on the seat tube....
Old 03-05-21, 09:44 AM
vascoboy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
late response...
YES, the sunset district. That is a Basque flag on the seat post (my last name: Iribarren) Good observation!