Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Niterider MiNewt Cordless Battery Replacement

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-14, 10:50 PM
Hangtownmatt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have the Model 600. The original battery is a KP-18650-PAN29. I purchased an Orbitron ORB-2900-P Protected 2900mAh 18650 Li-ion Battery - Cell Panasonic NCR18650 - Protection ICs- Button top as a replacement. However, the Orbitron is shorter than the original. Who's have thunk not all 18650's are created equal?

Has anybody found a proper replacement battery for this headlight? Niterider offers one for $25. I suppose I can deal with that. It's only 2 1/2 times the cost of any other 18650 battery. But what kills me is that Niterider wants $16 to ship it !!! Niterider is based in CA and I live in CA. Out of principal I'd like to find another source.

Matt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Battery Comparison.JPG (82.7 KB, 77 views)
Old 10-11-14, 08:21 AM
Spld cyclist

Bikes: 2012 Motobecane Fantom CXX, 2012 Motobecane Fantom CX, 1997 Bianchi Nyala, 200? Burley Rock 'n Roll

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does the Orbtronic battery fail to work because the contacts don't reach or something? If it works, just use it.

18650 cells have some variance in length and width due to the protection circuits they may or may not have. Here's a review showing the dimensions of a bunch of common cells. You can probably find something close to the original battery: Battery test-review 18650 summary

If the original is protected, you'll want a replacement that is as well. (For more info, look here: The Anatomy of a Protected Battery) Obviously, the Orbtronic battery is protected, so this just applies to picking a different cell.

Last edited by Spld cyclist; 10-11-14 at 08:27 AM.
Old 10-11-14, 08:26 AM
mibike

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
You could try a local store that way you could compare before you buy. I use BatteriesPlus because thy have a store near me. They have stores in CA if one is near you it would be worth a try. I'm sure there are others but I don't know who they are.

Last edited by mibike; 10-11-14 at 08:30 AM. Reason: The web address added what looked like an add so I deleted it
Old 10-11-14, 08:48 AM
Hangtownmatt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I believe it's the contacts. When I first installed the new battery it rattled inside the headlight. I removed it a bent the negative contact out a bit in the headlight and that tightened everything up. The negative contact is a sprung steel tang (for a lack of a better term). The positive contact in the headlight is just a flat faceplate. Put it on the charger and the red indicator light never did go to green indicating a full charge. Tried turning the headlight on and nothing happened. Put the original battery back in and it works. Orbtronic said to try cleaning the contacts which I will when I get a chance.

Thanks for the links,

Matt

Originally Posted by Spld cyclist
Does the Orbtronic battery fail to work because the contacts don't reach or something? If it works, just use it.

18650 cells have some variance in length and width due to the protection circuits they may or may not have. Here's a review showing the dimensions of a bunch of common cells. You can probably find something close to the original battery: Battery test-review 18650 summary

If the original is protected, you'll want a replacement that is as well. (For more info, look here: The Anatomy of a Protected Battery) Obviously, the Orbtronic battery is protected, so this just applies to picking a different cell.
Old 10-11-14, 08:50 AM
Hangtownmatt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BatteriesPlus is an excellent suggestion. They used to rebuild my old NiCad 6v water bottle NiteRider battery. Right now they're a little inconvenient for me but I may have to make the effort.

Thanks,

Matt

Originally Posted by mibike
You could try a local store that way you could compare before you buy. I use BatteriesPlus because thy have a store near me. They have stores in CA if one is near you it would be worth a try. I'm sure there are others but I don't know who they are.
Old 10-14-14, 10:35 PM
Hangtownmatt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WOW! I'm surprised no one else has gone through this. I went to Batteries Plus today. Excellent service. They, free of charge, welded some solder onto the after market battery's positive post (button) to effectively lengthen the battery to ensure contact. However, it still wouldn't work. We put the original battery back in and it works. They were stumped. They ran a voltage check and the original was at 4+ volts and the replacement battery was at 3.6. They felt I should charge it overnight before giving up. I'll post the results tomorrow.

Really, nobody's replaced a battery in one of these? I'm reading reviews for new lights and this topic isn't even discussed! I think it is pretty important and it's like nobody even cares.

Matt
Old 10-15-14, 10:48 PM
Hangtownmatt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hangtownmatt
WOW! I'm surprised no one else has gone through this. I went to Batteries Plus today. Excellent service. They, free of charge, welded some solder onto the after market battery's positive post (button) to effectively lengthen the battery to ensure contact. However, it still wouldn't work. We put the original battery back in and it works. They were stumped. They ran a voltage check and the original was at 4+ volts and the replacement battery was at 3.6. They felt I should charge it overnight before giving up. I'll post the results tomorrow.

Really, nobody's replaced a battery in one of these? I'm reading reviews for new lights and this topic isn't even discussed! I think it is pretty important and it's like nobody even cares.

Matt
I took the battery with NiteRider back to Batteries Plus for a refund. A whole new crew working today. They could hardly believe it wouldn't work, but they couldn't argue with the results because they could see for themselves. They did a little research and felt they could acquire the same Panasonic battery that NiteRider uses. They refunded the cost of the failed battery and offered to order the battery free of charge, and if it worked I could buy it, and if not, I was under no obligation. I got to say I am very impressed with Batteries Plus. This is the way it is supposed to be!

I will post the results when the battery comes in. It may be 5 business days. I'm not very optimistic this will work out but it is worth a try. I think this NiteRider 600 is going to require their proprietary battery. If so, I might bite the bullet and spend the $40. But if something were to happen to this headlight today I'd run out and buy a Lezyne Power Drive. It does not require proprietary batteries.

Matt

Last edited by Hangtownmatt; 10-15-14 at 10:49 PM. Reason: deleted a half thought.
Old 10-15-14, 10:58 PM
Hangtownmatt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Spld cyclist

By the way Spld cyclist - those are very interesting links.. Thank You.
Old 10-15-14, 11:05 PM
Hangtownmatt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Matt
I took the battery with NiteRider back to Batteries Plus for a refund. A whole new crew working today. They could hardly believe it wouldn't work, but they couldn't argue with the results because they could see for themselves. They did a little research and felt they could acquire the same Panasonic battery that NiteRider uses. They refunded the cost of the failed battery and offered to order the battery free of charge, and if it worked I could buy it, and if not, I was under no obligation. I got to say I am very impressed with Batteries Plus. This is the way it is supposed to be!

I will post the results when the battery comes in. It may be 5 business days. I'm not very optimistic this will work out but it is worth a try. I think this NiteRider 600 is going to require their proprietary battery. If so, I might bite the bullet and spend the $40. But if something were to happen to this headlight today I'd run out and buy a Lezyne Power Drive. It does not require proprietary batteries.

Matt

I have done a little research myself
Old 10-16-14, 04:06 AM
mibike

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
It's good to know that Batteries Plus is treating you the way they should. I've always had good luck with them.

Keep us posted on how the battery they are ordering works out. I have a Niterider MiNewt 600 and as with anything with a battery it's just a matter of time before it goes bad. When the time comes I'll replace the battery if the price is right but at $40 I think I would replace it with a new light. It seems like lights keep getting better so I can't see spending that much to keep an old one working.
Old 10-31-14, 10:13 PM
Hangtownmatt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mibike
It's good to know that Batteries Plus is treating you the way they should. I've always had good luck with them.

Keep us posted on how the battery they are ordering works out. I have a Niterider MiNewt 600 and as with anything with a battery it's just a matter of time before it goes bad. When the time comes I'll replace the battery if the price is right but at $40 I think I would replace it with a new light. It seems like lights keep getting better so I can't see spending that much to keep an old one working.
I finally got a chance to swing by Batteries Plus. It wasn't even close so I give up. It appears to be a proprietary battery. I just sent the following to NiteRider. Not that it matters, I guess I just wanted to vent:

"To Whom it may Concern - I originally owned a NiteRider halogen with the battery pack in a water-bottle style holder. It worked great and I had the battery pack rebuilt several times over the years by my local Batteries Plus. In 2011, I upgraded to a cordless MiNewt 600. It is now ready for a replacement battery and I'm shocked to learn it is proprietary and will cost me $40 to replace. I can almost get over paying $25 for the battery, but $15 to ship within California! That is ridiculous and out of principal I will not order it. I'm sorry to say you have lost a customer. And I really am sorry because I think you put out a good product, but it is time to move on."

So if anybody finds a replacement battery be sure to post, because I'll have a perfectly good light sitting on the shelf in need of a battery. My original battery still works but I will be looking at the Lezyne Power Drive XL, Phillips SafeRide and the Ixon Iq Premium. I believe these all take non-proprietary batteries. If anyone has any other suggestions I'm all ears.

Matt
Old 11-08-14, 11:42 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Something weird is going on. Devices don't care what kind of battery is powering them, as long as they have the required voltage and the battery can deliver the required current. (Not hard to do with these lights.)

Try putting some tin/aluminum foil on one end, just as a test, to make the battery longer. (If you still care that is.)

Alternatively, if you have any other way to charge the battery (another light perhaps?) then charge it first, THEN put it into your nightrider. See what happens then!

If you have an electronic savvy friend, take the battery and light to them, I'm sure it's an easy fix.
Old 11-09-14, 10:58 PM
Hangtownmatt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33
Something weird is going on. Devices don't care what kind of battery is powering them, as long as they have the required voltage and the battery can deliver the required current. (Not hard to do with these lights.)

Try putting some tin/aluminum foil on one end, just as a test, to make the battery longer. (If you still care that is.)

Alternatively, if you have any other way to charge the battery (another light perhaps?) then charge it first, THEN put it into your nightrider. See what happens then!

If you have an electronic savvy friend, take the battery and light to them, I'm sure it's an easy fix.
Corrado, a month ago I would have agreed with you. But it ain't so. Did you read the thread, 18650's are not standard. They come in different lengths and configurations (button-top and no button top). I've found that bicycle headlights using non-proprietary batteries are the minority; by a long shot. You may be onto something when you say the proper length battery could be charged in another device and work in the NinteRider. But even if that worked it defeats the purpose of an all-in-one USB chargeable battery. Battery access is not easy and it would not be worth the time and energy.

Matt
Old 11-10-14, 12:09 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Matt,
I'm not saying the different battery length is weird. I'm saying that the fact the light didn't work when you fit the (shorter) battery in there after you had some solder gobbed on the end. If the battery was, in fact, making contact, it SHOULD work. Period, no ifs, ands, or buts.

That's what I'm saying is weird.

Oh and as for charging it beforehand, I only meant initially! Maybe the charging circuitry doesn't like the voltage to be that low? (Even though that voltage is perfectly normal for a Lithium ion cell...) Just a thought.
Old 11-10-14, 11:40 PM
Hangtownmatt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Corrado, you could be right. My only resource to charge the aftermarket battery was via the NiteRider itself. Maybe it never charged and that's where proprietary vs. non-proprietary kicks in. But for now I give up. I've run out of time and energy. The original battery still works and I'll continue using it for the time being, I find it really surprising no one else has spoken up. I got nothing on candlepower forums; nothing! So Thanks for your input.
Old 11-10-14, 11:41 PM
corrado33

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Corrado, you could be right. My only resource to charge the aftermarket battery was via the NiteRider itself. Maybe it never charged and that's where proprietary vs. non-proprietary kicks in. But for now I give up. I've run out of time and energy. The original battery still works and I'll continue using it for the time being, I find it really surprising no one else has spoken up. I got nothing on candlepower forums; nothing! So Thanks for your input.
I figured it was getting to be too much trouble for you. I searched for a replacement for your original battery and found the multiple other sites where you posted your problem (with no responses.)
Old 02-05-21, 12:43 PM
Big_Dogma

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is an old thread, but still relevant. I believe I have found the correct battery for the NiteRider KP-18650-PAN 29 battery. It was $11 shipped. I will confirm once I have it.
I'd post a link, but cannot as I'm a newbie to this forum.
Old 03-21-21, 08:14 AM
JerrySTL

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Here's a link to my positive battery replacement experience on a 150 and 600.
https://www.bikeforums.net/electroni...t-battery.html