Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Chain Length - Help!

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Chain Length - Help!

Old 02-18-21, 08:57 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by Gasman1440 View Post
....a formulae like many above mentioned is very helpful is I知 looking at changing a cassette and want to know if I need a new chain or if the existing, brand new chain, is long enough. I also have a 1X setup that had a 32t crank (9-46 cassette) that was changed to a 28t and a new chain. When I found the 28t to low my LBS installed the 32t and left the same chain. I知 having some minor issues and wonder if the chain is to tight which is another reason I was looking for a formulae. Txs
I still don't get how a formula, with the measurements and calculations involved, would be easier or more efficient than just trying the chain and either using it as-is, shortening it, or buying a new one.

But I'm not an engineer.
Old 02-18-21, 09:10 PM
Gasman1440

Bikes: 2019 Custom All City Gorilla Monsoon 2016 Synapse 2020 Orbea Gain M201 2020 State Bicycle All Road Bicycle Nomad SE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Camilo View Post
I still don't get how a formula, with the measurements and calculations involved, would be easier or more efficient than just trying the chain and either using it as-is, shortening it, or buying a new one.

But I'm not an engineer.
I don稚 think it has anything to do with being an engineer. I wanted to learn about why there is a range for how much slack and what if you dont have enough slack. The point was to learn about bikes then decide if i had to buy another chain.
Likes For Gasman1440:
Old 02-18-21, 10:24 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 482 Times in 283 Posts
I don稚 think it has anything to do with being an engineer. I wanted to learn about why there is a range for how much slack and what if you dont have enough slack. The point was to learn about bikes then decide if i had to buy another chain.
Simple, you rip the derailleur off the bike. Look, this is not rocket surgery. If the pulley cage is pulled so far forward by the chain that you can't push it any further by hand, the chain is too short. If the chain is sagging in the small/small or the on the smallest cog of a 1X then it's too long. If your chain sags and is also tight your drivetrain is over the capacity spec of the rear derailleur.
For road bikes you need to have enough capacity so that you can use a range of cassette sizes. Smaller ones for flat days, bigger ones for climbing days. For modern mountain bikes there really isn't a range as there is a standard cassette that all drivetrains use, but you have to have some leeway for suspension movement.
Old 02-20-21, 08:30 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: TWO Cinelli superstar disc with SRAM Force AXS

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 200 Posts
So i should have been more specific in my question. I currently have a new SRAM Red chain that i counted to be 55 full links. It痴 on a 10-28 cassette with a 48/35 crank which calculates to be a 53 full link chain. I would like to swap for a 10-33 or 10-36 cassette and am wondering if I need a new chain. My chain stay is 410mm so when i check various ways I come up with needing a chain with 55 (54.339) full links for the 10-36 and 54 for the 10-33 (actually 53.6).

So will a 55 link work with the 10-33 as it has one spare?

Will 55 work with the 10-36 if there is less then one spare?

I知 still trying to see if the Red RD will work with the 10-36, SRAM says no only the 10-33 but several people have said it will work with the 1036, if anything you may need a longer B-screw. I have some credit and can get the 10-33 Force cassette easily but would love the 10-36. I refuse to buy a new derailure however if that痴 what痴 needed for a 10-36. Any thoughts, comments answers are greatly appreciated as I知 trying to learn.
Txs
I have two bikes with the 10-36 and standard force axs RD. Turn the B screw in all the way and use a 55 inch chain. If there's actual contact between the upper jockey pulley and 36T sprocket, when in the little ring, then a longer B screw is needed. I got a stainless steel M4 x 25mm button head screw from ace hardware and ground the head down to a smaller diameter, like the original screw. If there's too much gap between the upper jockey pulley and 36T sprocket, the 10-11 shift may not work properly. It may shift fine on the work stand, but not under a load while riding. Back the screw out 1/2 turn at a time, until the shift works properly.
Old 02-20-21, 09:26 AM
Gasman1440

Bikes: 2019 Custom All City Gorilla Monsoon 2016 Synapse 2020 Orbea Gain M201 2020 State Bicycle All Road Bicycle Nomad SE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Txs I think i best start with the 10-33 and see, I can sell the 10-28 and play around with a 36 cassette. Txs for all the help Ive learned a lot from this.