Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Workout drinks

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Workout drinks

Old 01-27-21, 12:48 PM
caloso

Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2480 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 792 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep View Post
Allow me to qualify that....

It's directed at folks starting out who think they need a bunch of nutrition to go do a 250KJ or 300KJ workout. The work load needs to be at least as great as the nutrition one used to fuel the work! If you down 300 calories of sport drink before and after a 250KJ workout..........yeah.......no bueno.

When the workout was 35min and you only burned 200KJ...............yeah, I really really hope you're not compensating for that with a bunch of extra calories. A single drink or bar probably totals 200KJ.

If I had to put it more bluntly: fuel like an athlete if you're training like an athlete...........don't fuel like one if you're not.

If a person is confused about whether they fall into "fitness" or "athlete" territory for that.............one major difference is having very specific performance goals. It's not a specific performance goal to just say "I'm going to ride my bike more" or "I want to lose a couple pounds". Specific is "I want to reach X.X w/kg for that mountain fondo" or "I want to hit 300w for 20min" or "I want to break 25min for a 5k run". Or, I want to achieve the Then, the nutrition is specifically meant to meet the demands of workouts that challenge the body to meet those goals.

It is my opinion that from a profit and marketing perspective, companies have intentionally blurred the line between the noble pursuit of general fitness...........and athletics. In order to sell more stuff.

There's a bargain basement level of KJ expenditure in an hour to necessitate that kind of nutrition. And it isn't 200 KJ in 30min of spinning.
If this spin bike has a power meter, presumably it will measure how many kj you've put into it, which is a decent approximation of how many kcal you've expended. If you are trying to maintain weight, replace those calories. If you're trying to lose weight, don't.
Likes For caloso:
Old 01-27-21, 08:51 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: '15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, '76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, '17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, '12 Breezer Venturi, '09 Dahon Mariner, '05 Novara Big Buzz, '12 Mercier Nano, '95 DeKerf Team SL, '19 Tern Rally, ‘21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, ‘19 T Lab X3

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1285 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by Shor0402 View Post
Hi guys my wife and I recently purchased an echelon ex-5 spin bike. We were wondering if there is any special type of drink or shake or anything to do pre, during and post workout? We drink lots of water but just want to see if anything else is recommend? Thanks guys
As has been said, it depends on the intensity and duration of the workout, and your training goals, so it’s hard to make specific reccos without knowing those things. I think most of us can feel when the workouts are really taxing and draining, and that’s a pretty good point to start considering performance and recovery drinks.

My favorite drink tool is PureClean Performance’s Fundaminos: https://purecleanperformance.com/pages/fundaminos. A glass first thing in the morning on workout days, and a second glass post-workout if it was a big one. I do structured, power-based training with ride workouts usually lasting an hour. I just use water for those mostly, but when I have to do gnarly L6 and L7 intervals, I will mix in a little Hammer HEED, which is what I use in one of my bottles when on the road for long, hard rides of +2hrs.

If you’re just starting to cycle, to workout, and to train, I think the advice given to simply stick with water for now is the best advice, because the extra activity will have the greatest impact on your body and get you’re exercise development going on the right track. As I said, I’d bet you’ll know when you’re reaching the limits of what you can do, and that’s the time to start with supplements, both physically, but also strategically, as you’ll have a better sense of where you want to go and what you’ll need to get there.

Good luck!
Old 01-29-21, 11:24 PM
cubewheels

Bikes: A really old BMX bike, Phantom 20 kid's MTB, Jackal Mio Gravel Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 664 Post(s)
Liked 286 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
Milk has some carbs, fat, and protein, but only a very small amount of sodium, which is the only electrolyte that needs to be replenished during exercise of non-extreme duration. Not an optimal choice for an exercise drink.
I added a pinch of salt to my milk drink and the ride did improve a bit. The drink tasted a little better too! It kinda tasted like blood but definitely felt easier to drink, strange.
Old 01-30-21, 06:37 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 5406 Post(s)
Liked 2,224 Times in 1,257 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels View Post
I added a pinch of salt to my milk drink and the ride did improve a bit. The drink tasted a little better too! It kinda tasted like blood but definitely felt easier to drink, strange.
Old 01-30-21, 08:55 AM
cubewheels

It was actually 3 pinches of salt in the 750 mL bottle. Tasted less salty than my sweat so I guess I'm simply putting the right amount back into my system. It got into my throat perfectly smooth, unlike water or milk without salt but then I craved for more. So I thought that's interesting.
Old 01-30-21, 09:43 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 214 Times in 130 Posts
It was actually 3 pinches of salt in the 750 mL bottle. Tasted less salty than my sweat so I guess I'm simply putting the right amount back into my system. It got into my throat perfectly smooth, unlike water or milk without salt but then I craved for more. So I thought that's interesting.
Drinking warm milk on a bike sounds disgusting. Why don’t you just use sugar and some flavouring (juice, Gatorade, flavour crystals etc). It’s carbs you want and milk is not the best source of carbs. Drinking it after is fine as the protein can help assimilate carbs faster for recovery but there’s no benefit while riding.
Old 01-30-21, 10:07 AM
cubewheels

Originally Posted by gregf83 View Post
Drinking warm milk on a bike sounds disgusting. Why don’t you just use sugar and some flavouring (juice, Gatorade, flavour crystals etc). It’s carbs you want and milk is not the best source of carbs. Drinking it after is fine as the protein can help assimilate carbs faster for recovery but there’s no benefit while riding.
I use cold water in the mixture and put the bottle in the freezer for 1 hr before riding out. So definitely got some ice in it.
Old 01-30-21, 12:16 PM
Iride01
Hits [ENTER] b4 thinking

Bikes: '20 Tarmac Disc Comp '91 Schwinn Paramount '78 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 2148 Post(s)
Liked 888 Times in 670 Posts
Salt is an electrolyte. I used to put a pinch or two in my bottles when I was using diluted fruit juice in my bottles. I typically use more electrolytes in very hot temps and way few if any during cold whether.

As for drinking milk, I used to think it disgusting too and thought it would immediately sour in my stomach and I'd vomit it up quick. However I actually tried a bottle of chocolate milk given out at the end of an organized ride by a sponsor, and surprisingly it was refreshing with no issues. For a recovery drink, chocolate milk's nutrition breakdown holds up well compared to most other recovery drinks.

For using it while on the bike? Well I think he says he uses a dilute mix. So maybe not so much unlike the drink mixes for use on the bike that have protein in them.
Old 01-31-21, 11:27 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2825 Post(s)
Liked 740 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01 View Post
Salt is an electrolyte. I used to put a pinch or two in my bottles when I was using diluted fruit juice in my bottles. I typically use more electrolytes in very hot temps and way few if any during cold whether.

As for drinking milk, I used to think it disgusting too and thought it would immediately sour in my stomach and I'd vomit it up quick. However I actually tried a bottle of chocolate milk given out at the end of an organized ride by a sponsor, and surprisingly it was refreshing with no issues. For a recovery drink, chocolate milk's nutrition breakdown holds up well compared to most other recovery drinks.

For using it while on the bike? Well I think he says he uses a dilute mix. So maybe not so much unlike the drink mixes for use on the bike that have protein in them.
I have a rando friend, a big guy 6'7" who will down a quart of chocolate milk at a control. "I'm down a quart." I tried a pint once about 40k from the finish and never again. Didn't barf but felt queasy. Some can, some can't.
Old 01-31-21, 11:41 PM
cubewheels

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy View Post
I have a rando friend, a big guy 6'7" who will down a quart of chocolate milk at a control. "I'm down a quart." I tried a pint once about 40k from the finish and never again. Didn't barf but felt queasy. Some can, some can't.
I have no problems with water-diluted milk but if I add two pinches of salt in the drink, makes it even easier to drink.
Old 02-01-21, 05:02 PM
Cycling Boss

Bikes: Roubaix, Camber

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
I have used Tailwind a couple times and it seems to be OK with my stomach. I don't really notice a difference in performance per say the way that I seem to really notice a difference after taking in a gel. Perhaps this is because I just slowly drink it down, not sure.
Old 02-01-21, 07:04 PM
cubewheels

Originally Posted by Cycling Boss View Post
Perhaps this is because I just slowly drink it down, not sure.
I think that's the only right way to take your drinks, otherwise, you'll feel bloated and feel worse.
Old 02-02-21, 09:57 AM
Iride01
Hits [ENTER] b4 thinking

Bikes: '20 Tarmac Disc Comp '91 Schwinn Paramount '78 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 2148 Post(s)
Liked 888 Times in 670 Posts
Tailwind Endurance Fuel mix is pretty high in Sodium and other electrolytes compared to the amount of carbs it gives. For Me in the summer time really hot weather it might be close to the ratio of carbs to electrolyte I use, but for normal riding I couldn't use it. Too much electrolyte for me has been just as bad as none.

If it's right for you, that's okay, but don't just blindly think because something markets itself as a sports drink that it's right for you. Compare the amount of carbohydrate, sodium and other electrolytes it gives you. I very much prefer mixes or drinks with few to no electrolytes and sodium. That way I can fill my bottles with the amount of carbs I want for a ride and then add electrolyte to get it to the level I want. My ratio of carbs to electrolyte depends on several things. Among them are air temperature, length of ride and level of effort.

I'd put many sport drinks in the way too high on electrolyte category. Particularly for those that really aren't riding at a "sport" level of effort.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 02-20-21, 08:00 PM
Attilio

Bikes: Salsa!

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Water. From the tap as it's cheaper and almost always safe. Everything else packs on the pounds which is what you don't want.
Old 02-20-21, 08:58 PM
cubewheels

Originally Posted by Attilio View Post
Water. From the tap as it's cheaper and almost always safe. Everything else packs on the pounds which is what you don't want.
If you're riding at a very slow pace, not burning a lot of calories then indeed water-only is perfectly fine drink for cycling if you're avoiding gaining weight.

At present, I drink decaf coffee milk on the bike with sugar and 3 pinches of salt and not gaining weight at 125 lbs.
Likes For cubewheels:
Old 02-23-21, 09:32 PM
mr_pedro

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
If you're riding at a very slow pace, not burning a lot of calories then indeed water-only is perfectly fine drink for cycling if you're avoiding gaining weight.

At present, I drink decaf coffee milk on the bike with sugar and 3 pinches of salt and not gaining weight at 125 lbs.
Indeed, all depends how intense the ride. For most rides up to 2 hours it is not strictly needed to take carbs, but it makes it so much easier to go hard.

On the harder workouts, that for me can be up to 850-950 Cal per hour, I will add 8 tablespoons of sugar and 1.5 g of salt in a water bottle per hour. Afterwards I still need to eat some more, and I am actually loosing weight at the moment.

On the other hand, for rides in the “fat burning zone”, burning about 600 Cal per hour I drink just water and eat some fruit afterwards if it is for 1 hour and I will add perhaps 3 tablespoons of sugar per hour to the water for longer rides.
Likes For mr_pedro: