Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1984 Peugeot 12 Vitesse - New Zealand

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-17, 11:05 PM
bstrummer

Bikes: 1984 Peugeot 12 speed, YAK Balboa 15 speed Mountain Bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I recently created a post under Classic and Vintage valuations about a bike I am attempting to rescue from decay. The other post is entitled ‘Peugeot 12 speed. Help needed with identification…’ I’m starting this new thread to share more on the bike’s condition and to show progress (all going well) on it’s path back to useable condition.

So here goes. The bike is a 1984 Peugeot 12 Vitesse. The feeling is that it is probably a PH11 although there is no model identifier on the bike. (Note: I have today discovered 'SIMPLEX' stamped at the end of one of the chain stays but assume that is standard.) The all chrome forks and the decal scheme are right for the year which is also stamped on both wheel rims.

My initial thought was to strip down the bike, give everything a clean and check what needs repairing/replacing. I’ve also considered having the frame resprayed and the forks re-chromed, although there is no chance of recovering the expense. If I go down that path it will be purly for the satisfaction of seeing the bike in pristine condition.

I am interested in what others think based on the photos with this post. As you can see via the closeups, rust has been busy. On the other hand from a distance it doesn’t look to bad. Perhaps some rust treatment, such as Evapo-Rust which has already been recommended to me, will be sufficient. I’m not sure though what is going on under the paint and whether it’s safe to leave it untouched. The temptation is to have the paint stripped back and all traces of rust removed.

Likewise I could have the chrome forks re-plated (triple plated and polished) for around NZ$215 (about US$155). I’m sure everyone will tell me that the whole bike is not worth that amount restored.

For the benefit of anyone who did not see my other post, I will insert the bike and component details:-

Identification numbers:

Frame underside crank: 11965
Beneath seat post: 73o3L
Upper head tube: 7330

Brakes: Shimano 600
Front derailleur: Simplex
Rear derailleur: Simplex Spidel S061

Crank set: Shimano Golden Arrow FC-S105 (fluted) Year stamp 'HE' 1983
Crank gears: Shimano 52 HF and Shimano <39>

Front Wheel: Hub id: Maillard 24 84
Rim: Rigida AL1320 700c
Tyre (probably shot!): Panaracet tri-sport kevlar 700k 25c

Rear Wheel: Helico-Matic PAF Maillard, Hub id: 25 84

Handlebars: Franco Italia D852 Guidons Philippe ATAX
Seat: Unicanitor Brevettata Made in Italy Cimeli Milano

Pedals: KYUTKOTO Top-Run
Toe straps: Christophe Special
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_3759.jpg (97.9 KB, 505 views)
IMG_3787.jpg (95.8 KB, 501 views)
IMG_3785.jpg (99.6 KB, 494 views)
IMG_3786.jpg (94.9 KB, 495 views)
IMG_3788.jpg (97.4 KB, 490 views)
IMG_3789.jpg (93.1 KB, 488 views)
IMG_3790.jpg (96.9 KB, 500 views)
IMG_3791.jpg (94.3 KB, 495 views)
IMG_3792.jpg (97.1 KB, 499 views)

Last edited by bstrummer; 06-17-17 at 06:03 PM.
Old 06-13-17, 12:32 AM
billytwosheds 

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone, Cinelli, Merckx

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 467 Times in 215 Posts
That does look like a fair amount of rust.

What do you have invested into it now? (no requirement to answer)

If the frame fits you and you want a bike for yourself, there are options.

I've had good results with oxalic acid baths.

Were it mine and I wanted to keep it, it'd probably be off to be sandblasted and powder coated after checking for nasty internal rust and alignment.

Spot treatment of the rust would be more work than it's worth, methinks.
Old 06-13-17, 01:52 AM
Bicycle Addict

Bikes: Marin Bolinas ridge, Carlton Corsa 5, Falcon Olympic 12, 98 Shesh Rockhopper,

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heya from Auckland.
Treat the rust with Metalrescue you can get it at Mitre10 mate.
Old 06-13-17, 01:56 AM
bstrummer

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by billytwosheds
That does look like a fair amount of rust.

What do you have invested into it now? (no requirement to answer)

If the frame fits you and you want a bike for yourself, there are options.

I've had good results with oxalic acid baths.

Were it mine and I wanted to keep it, it'd probably be off to be sandblasted and powder coated after checking for nasty internal rust and alignment.

Spot treatment of the rust would be more work than it's worth, methinks.
Thanks. I'm currently assessing options. The bike doesn't really owe me anything. It was purchased many a year ago and was long forgotten. The internal rust is the thing that's worrying me. It seems a good starting point to establish how bad it is.
Old 06-13-17, 01:57 AM
bstrummer

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bicycle Addict
Heya from Auckland.
Treat the rust with Metalrescue you can get it at Mitre10 mate.
G'day! Hey thanks for the tip. I will add Metalrescue to my rust treatment arsenal!
Old 06-13-17, 02:00 AM
Bicycle Addict

Bikes: Marin Bolinas ridge, Carlton Corsa 5, Falcon Olympic 12, 98 Shesh Rockhopper,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feel free to PM me, what part of NZ are you in @bstrummer ?
Old 06-13-17, 07:58 AM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
With a bike like this there is a series of questions before committing to a repaint.

What kind of other bike or frame can I buy for $xxx? Is there damage that new paint won't cure? Does it have sentimental value or is it just a bike you like. Does it fit unusually good. And will spending $xxx make you feel happier than not.
Old 06-13-17, 04:14 PM
bstrummer

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Narhay
With a bike like this there is a series of questions before committing to a repaint.

What kind of other bike or frame can I buy for $xxx? Is there damage that new paint won't cure? Does it have sentimental value or is it just a bike you like. Does it fit unusually good. And will spending $xxx make you feel happier than not.
They are excellent questions and I have been pondering the same. The bike is a great fit for me as I am 6 ft 4 inches tall though I've not ridden a bike in many years (until briefly last weekend) and the ride is not the main reason for the project. I feel bad about letting what was once a nice bike deteriorate to such an extent. I love to see old things given a new lease on life.

Agreed, I need to check the extent of the damage. At this stage, all I've tried is the ring test and not noticed any dull thuds when lightly tapping the tubes with the side of a screwdriver. The frame and forks seem straight to my eye but perhaps there is a more reliable way of confirming.
Old 06-13-17, 04:15 PM
bstrummer

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Feel free to PM me, what part of NZ are you in @bstrummer ?
Sorry, I should have answered this question visibly. I am Auckland based.
Old 06-13-17, 06:03 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
Love seeing old steel get a new lease on life, good luck with the project bstrummer I am always amazed what some of the de-rusting products can do and a dose of elbow grease and the aforementioned 0000 bronze wool on chrome can do wonders. And of course replacing the consumables; tires, tubes, rim strips, brake pads, chain, lube & bearings, cables & housing and bar tape go a long way to breathing life back into an old steed. If you do decide on a sand blast and respray there are lots of decal reproductions out there too. Look forward to your progress.
Old 06-13-17, 09:21 PM
bstrummer

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ryansu
Love seeing old steel get a new lease on life, good luck with the project bstrummer I am always amazed what some of the de-rusting products can do and a dose of elbow grease and the aforementioned 0000 bronze wool on chrome can do wonders.
Looking at Metal Rescue I see that the idea is to dunk the item in a bath of the product. It's about $50 for 5 litres and it can be re-used until it loses its effectiveness. Is it any good for cleaning up the painted bike frame too or are you just recommending it for the chrome forks? Could it be used for treating the inside of the frame tubes?

Originally Posted by ryansu
And of course replacing the consumables; tires, tubes, rim strips, brake pads, chain, lube & bearings, cables & housing and bar tape go a long way to breathing life back into an old steed. If you do decide on a sand blast and respray there are lots of decal reproductions out there too. Look forward to your progress.
Yes there's a lot more to it than just the frame set. I have seen those tempting decals mentioned but will see how I go with the cleaning/polishing approach first.
Old 06-13-17, 09:52 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
it's a low end frame. I'd give a lot of thought to letting this one go and find another bike to work on.
Old 06-13-17, 10:05 PM
sdn40

Bikes: 88 Cannondale Criterium

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 91 Posts
It looks like it might be an all or nothing type thing. Metal Rescue will take care of the rust - but you may not be happy with what's left, and will then have to deal with it. By that time you could have gotten the whole thing powder coated. I paid $115 here in the states, which includes sandblasting. You'll be half way there with just the Metal Rescue purchase. Another $50 for a full set of decals and your frame would be "new."

Of course, at that point all of the other components will look really bad on the "new" frame so you will have to decide how far down the rabbit hole you want to venture. Only you can decide if the end product is worth it.
Old 06-14-17, 01:20 AM
bstrummer

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
it's a low end frame. I'd give a lot of thought to letting this one go and find another bike to work on.
I suspect you are right there. On the other hand, the valuation thread relating to this bike has a comment from another forum member saying "The fact that you have forged, not stamped drop outs with adjustment screws (you might want to replace the bent one) means this bike is at least mid range. The ubiquitous entry level UO-8 had stamped steel drop outs."

I've had positive id of the frame set via New Zealand experts who say it was manufactured by the Healing Cycle company in NZ. There were two models of this type and mine is the cheaper of the two.

But agreed, I need to consider possibly letting this one go. I'm interested in seeing what the NZ cyclists think too.
Attached Images
IMG_3796.jpg (93.6 KB, 458 views)
Old 06-14-17, 01:25 AM
bstrummer

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sdn40
It looks like it might be an all or nothing type thing. Metal Rescue will take care of the rust - but you may not be happy with what's left, and will then have to deal with it. By that time you could have gotten the whole thing powder coated. I paid $115 here in the states, which includes sandblasting. You'll be half way there with just the Metal Rescue purchase. Another $50 for a full set of decals and your frame would be "new."

Of course, at that point all of the other components will look really bad on the "new" frame so you will have to decide how far down the rabbit hole you want to venture. Only you can decide if the end product is worth it.
I'm with you there and being a perfectionist can just imagine I won't settle for a rusty look. The rust treatments discussed are certainly pricey. I'm yet to seek a quote for blasting and powder coating. Then I'll compare the total with the possibility of finding a different frame set.

By the way, one of my brothers runs an aluminium recycling business and collects all sorts of different metals. I should ask him to look out for any nice looking frames (though I suspect others might have first dibs!)
Old 06-14-17, 02:27 AM
Bicycle Addict

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Peugeot started manufacture in the Southern Hemisphere in Australia in the early 80's then through Healing here.
I think you should go ahead with rust treatment then clearcoat, it is not really worth repainting but it is really worth getting it riding until something better comes along in your size, just because it is not highend does not mean you cat get the practice at refurbishing reading yourself for the next project(Trust us there will be more . . .many more Muwh hah hah haaa).
Randy Jawa's site is great and answers a lot of common questions.

TO PAINT OR NOT - CONCLUSIONS

One of my favourite patina'd bikes is Randy's old Legnano.
Below that is my Jacques Anquetil which I just got, reading the link I have posted from Randy's site is the reason I will not repainting the Anquetil.
Attached Images
IMG_2718.jpg (105.8 KB, 456 views)
IMG_2923.jpg (99.5 KB, 459 views)
Old 06-14-17, 02:30 AM
Bicycle Addict

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bstrummer
I'm with you there and being a perfectionist can just imagine I won't settle for a rusty look. The rust treatments discussed are certainly pricey. I'm yet to seek a quote for blasting and powder coating. Then I'll compare the total with the possibility of finding a different frame set.

By the way, one of my brothers runs an aluminium recycling business and collects all sorts of different metals. I should ask him to look out for any nice looking frames (though I suspect others might have first dibs!)
I will take the gas pipe 10 speeds if he has any?
Old 06-14-17, 02:36 AM
bstrummer

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Peugeot started manufacture in the Southern Hemisphere in Australia in the early 80's then through Healing here.
I think you should go ahead with rust treatment then clearcoat, it is not really worth repainting but it is really worth getting it riding until something better comes along in your size, just because it is not highend does not mean you cat get the practice at refurbishing reading yourself for the next project(Trust us there will be more . . .many more Muwh hah hah haaa).
Randy Jawa's site is great and answers a lot of common questions.

TO PAINT OR NOT - CONCLUSIONS

One of my favourite patina'd bikes is Randy's old Legnano.
Below that is my Jacques Anquetil which I just got, reading the link I have posted from Randy's site is the reason I will not repainting the Anquetil.
Lovely bike photos thanks! And that site is excellent - the best I've seen so far. You know, I'm warming to this idea of keeping things original and focussing on getting the bike up and running. After all, the aged or distressed look seems to be on trend at the moment. Yes good experience as you say. I'm not sure of the chances of finding an Italian racer under the house but I'd better go check!
Old 06-14-17, 02:38 AM
bstrummer

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Highly unlikely - it's all proper junk I think - but will keep that in mind.
Old 06-14-17, 02:41 AM
bstrummer

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
By the way, you might have to explain what you mean by 'gas pipe 10 speeds' for this layperson.
Old 06-14-17, 02:44 AM
Bicycle Addict

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lovely bike photos thanks! And that site is excellent - the best I've seen so far. You know, I'm warming to this idea of keeping things original and focussing on getting the bike up and running. After all, the aged or distressed look seems to be on trend at the moment. Yes good experience as you say. I'm not sure of the chances of finding an Italian racer under the house but I'd better go check!
PM me when you want, I have a lot of parts and do enjoy a good bike natter, I am in West Auckland.
Old 06-14-17, 04:15 AM
1simplexnut

Bikes: 1963? Anquetil , 1973 PX10,1979 PX10,1984 PX10, VITUS 979 PX10DU,1970S ALAN,1985 PSV10,1980s PY10FC,1978 bERTIN,ALAN carbon

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 636 Times in 283 Posts
I suspect you are right there. On the other hand, the valuation thread relating to this bike has a comment from another forum member saying "The fact that you have forged, not stamped drop outs with adjustment screws (you might want to replace the bent one) means this bike is at least mid range. The ubiquitous entry level UO-8 had stamped steel drop outs."

I've had positive id of the frame set via New Zealand experts who say it was manufactured by the Healing Cycle company in NZ. There were two models of this type and mine is the cheaper of the two.

But agreed, I need to consider possibly letting this one go. I'm interested in seeing what the NZ cyclists think too.
hi from another kiwi! :-)
Agree this bike is mid range . I had the exact machine from new and was a decent ride.
In fact mine would have been the same size .
Where did you get your beastie from originally ?
Old 06-14-17, 05:05 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts

I missed the forged drop outs in the pics. That's generally a sign of a better frame but not always. Peugeot made a racing frame with forged drop outs and hi tensile steel. Still this could well be better than an entry level bike.
Old 06-14-17, 05:12 AM
bstrummer

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
PM me when you want, I have a lot of parts and do enjoy a good bike natter, I am in West Auckland.
OK will do. Just need to assimilate all the advice and information received. The amount of interest so far has been quite overwhelming. I will no doubt need some advice on parts when I start checking the various components in detail. BTW I'm located in central 'almost but not quite west' Auckland.
Old 06-14-17, 05:21 AM
bstrummer

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 1simplexnut
hi from another kiwi! :-)
Agree this bike is mid range . I had the exact machine from new and was a decent ride.
In fact mine would have been the same size .
Where did you get your beastie from originally ?
That's interesting. I can't recall precisely but am pretty certain it was bought from a shop in Dominion Road. It was definitely second hand. My older brother (athletic and in to tennis, soccer, running, cycling, etc) came along to help me find a suitable bike. Some years prior he had cycled across the United States so I figured he might know a thing or two! He still has the bike he road - somewhat better than mine I think! In the end it came down to the frame size and what I was able to afford. I remember the interior of the shop but that's about all. Really wish I had a receipt or something I could refer to for an address.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.