Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

PSA: chrome Raleigh Grand Sports frame on eBay

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-17, 04:27 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts

No relation to seller, just found it. And I THINK it's a Grand Sports - @nlerner has seen enough to authenticate

Best guess is that it's a 1971 model based on the headbadge. Dropouts are stamped, no derailleur hanger, old 531 decal. Sky at Velocult says there were only a few made fully chromed to show dealers. He has one in his shop:

Old 09-29-17, 04:44 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3804 Post(s)
Liked 6,643 Times in 2,602 Posts
That's funky! Nervex lugs, stamped dropouts, and the bit of bronze green at the BB say super Course to me more than Grand Sports.
Old 09-29-17, 05:31 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,865 Times in 1,439 Posts
It looks like it used to be green over the chrome. It's probably just had the original paint stripped, similar to my Montello.

I'm just glad it's a 59. I don't have that filter set up to block eBay content yet.
Old 09-29-17, 05:42 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1827 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,573 Posts
very intriguing!

As a guy who rode a lagoon-blue-with-white-panels Gran Sport for 14 years, I have a mental block when I try to imagine one in any other color scheme.

Still, with Nervex lugs, chrome, etc., it's very attractive and enticing!

Any thoughts on why we don't see more of this (and earlier) versions of the Raleigh bikes? Is it just the lower production volumes in the pre-bike-boom years?

Steve in Peoria
(happy with his International and Raleigh Team)
Old 09-29-17, 05:48 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
-----

1969-70 Gran Sports.

Original chainset Zeus Competition.

Original gear ensemble Huret Luxe Touring.

Two finishes were offered: chrome w/green trim and chrome w/coffee trim.

-----
Old 09-29-17, 06:43 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Okay very cool, but is it butted tubing?
Old 09-30-17, 09:59 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by nlerner
That's funky! Nervex lugs, stamped dropouts, and the bit of bronze green at the BB say super Course to me more than Grand Sports.
Who knows? I was going on VeloCult's expertise. Sky did some research and found that there were a few chromed Grand Sports made to take around to dealers, but they never mass produced them. The one in their shop has Nervex lugs and stamped dropouts, just like the one in the picture. Even if it were a Super Course, that would be cool as heck.

Originally Posted by rhm
Okay very cool, but is it butted tubing?
Here's the 531 sticker:

Based on this Classic Rendezvous thread, I'm guessing straight gauge, I'm now leaning towards a fully chromed Super Course. But the fact that there's green paint around the BB, but decals directly on the chrome make me wonder what's going on here. Perhaps the paint was added later. Perhaps the paint was stripped, and new decals applied. They look pretty weathered, however.

Where Super Course's fully chromed underneath? I seem to remember that the one I bought when I was 15 was not. But who knows? The decals directly on the chrome make me wonder what's going on. Maybe the decals were replaced.

We know that there wasn't much consistency from the Raleigh factory from model to model, year to year, even batch to batch. This one has a serial number stamped on the non-drive side dropout - 62346. This is odd, since according to this guy, there's always a leading zero, and it was most likely a 1973 model. I don't see a zero.

Old 09-30-17, 10:32 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
The seller is Ron Boi. Ron says the tubes are butted. Believe him. End story.
Old 09-30-17, 10:57 AM
nlerner

Originally Posted by 63rickert
That's not the double-butted Reynolds decal, fwiw.
Old 09-30-17, 11:04 AM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
That is the 531 Frame Tubes sticker. Aka plain gauge. Looks like a super course to me.
Old 09-30-17, 03:33 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by 63rickert
Originally Posted by Narhay
That is the 531 Frame Tubes sticker. Aka plain gauge. Looks like a super course to me.
This is one of those rare instances that I would have to say that I wouldn't care. If I didn't already have a Grand Sports and a Super Course, I might have snatched this one up.
Old 09-30-17, 03:38 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Reading comprehension fail (for me):

"This bid is for a used 59cm to top of seat lug, Chrome Raleigh road bicycle frameset, with 531 Butted main tubing frame. Made in Nottingham England, Carlton with Nervex lugs. This Raleigh is factory chromed. In its original scheme, it was originally poly-transparent-Green paint over most of the frame. (see BB area). Probably just showing chrome stays & lower fork blades, as well as head lugs & crown. The owner stripped the poly-Green paint. The frame shows typical pitting to chrome from age, especially in the low area near the bottom bracket. . Frame is apox., early 1970s?? 56.5cm top tube length center to center. English thread bottom bracket 1,370 x 24tpi. 27.2m.m. seatpost size. Rear is 123m.m. OLN."

The only thing that's blatantly untrue about this is the 56.6cm top tube CTC claim. Everyone knows that this vintage Raleigh TT was ALWAYS 57cm.

;-)
Old 09-30-17, 07:27 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Looks like what's in the 1970 catalog - (possibly missing the derailleur hanger) - and evidently made in Nottingham, vice Worksop.

It is certainly different and "interesting". I have eight Raleighs downstairs - seven of them from the 70's. I've done some pretty wild things to a few of them, but not really digging the aesthetics (original, current or potential) of this one.

edit - including link to the VCC hosted catalog showing the original (page 6 of the catalog, page 3 of the pdf)

Last edited by USAZorro; 09-30-17 at 07:30 PM.
Old 10-01-17, 11:44 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by USAZorro
...but not really digging the aesthetics (original, current or potential) of this one.

edit - including link to the VCC hosted catalog showing the original (page 6 of the catalog, page 3 of the pdf)
Yeah, chrome is hit or miss. In this case, the chrome ain't that great. The uniqueness is what caught my eye.

Thanks for the link, I think that's the definitive money shot. 1970 Gran Sport it is. Always seemed odd to me that later years they were Grand Sports.
Old 10-01-17, 11:54 AM
nlerner

Oh, yeah, I always forget about the catalog pic (and I even have a hard copy of that 1970 catalog). The few of those that have surfaced over the years usually do have the paint peeling off the chrome, so I guess a previous owner of this one accelerated that process.

Also funny that someone had wrote "no make" next to that Gran Sport caption in the catalog when the other models have prices added. Well, I guess they made a few.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 01-11-21, 06:08 PM
GranSport70
GranSport70

Bikes: (2) Never mass produced, Raleigh Gran(d) Sport 1968/ Found in the 1970 Catalog, Factory Chromed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
I have TWO 1968 Grand Sport, (Gran Sport), Raleigh Bikes. One of each decal color scheme as you described.

The first, which I purchased in 1971, is Chromed with the Coffee and Green Trim, the last of which had all fallen off within a few months after I purchased her. The second, all Chromed Grand Sport, that I purchased this last year is in almost mint, original, condition. She is all Chromed with Coffee and Black Trim. The Black Trim is solid paint with hand painted Red Pin Striping on the ends of the Black Paint and beautifully outlining each of the Lugs. The Coffee colored decal which is on both, and the Green Trim, which was on the first one, are/were Translucent Decals that can/did peel off. The Coffee Decals located on the Vertical Tubing of both Bikes and the Green Decal on the one and the Black Paint on the other Bike's Horizontal and Diagonal Tubing.

Interesting Note. The Bike pictured in this Original Post has a large Rear Hub Shell with what appears to be a Sprocket on both sides. You need to look very closely.

On my first Grand Sport, I had replaced her original Huret Derailleurs with Campagnolo before my cross country trip, (Miami to San Francisco, via Boulder/Milner Pass), in 1972.

Last edited by GranSport70; 01-11-21 at 07:48 PM.
Likes For GranSport70:
Old 01-11-21, 07:27 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by GranSport70
I have TWO 1968 Grand Sport, (Gran Sport), Raleigh Bikes. One of each decal color scheme as you described.

The first, which I purchased in 1971, is Chromed with the Coffee and Green Trim, the last of which had all fallen off within a few months after I purchased her. The second, all Chromed Grand Sport, that I purchased this last year is in almost mint, original, condition. She is all Chromed with Coffee and Black Trim. The Black Trim is solid paint with hand painted Red Pin Striping on the ends of the Black Paint and beautifully outlining each of the Lugs. The Coffee colored decal which is on both, and the Green Trim, which was on the first one, are/were Translucent Decals that can/did peel off. The Coffee Decals located on the Vertical Tubing of both Bikes and the Green Decal on the one and the Black Paint on the other Bike's Horizontal and Diagonal Tubing.

Interesting Note. The Bike pictured in this Original Post has a large Rear Hub Shell with what appears to be a Sprocket on both sides. You need to look very closely.

On my first Grand Sport, I had replaced her original Huret Derailleurs with Campagnolo before my cross country trip, (Miami to San Francisco, via Boulder/Milner Pass), in 1972.
No worries, just a headsup.

4 yr old zombie thread, you are still likely to get some traction.

AND we need pics of your bikes, since without them, it didn't happen.
Likes For merziac:
Old 01-11-21, 07:55 PM
GranSport70
GranSport70

Bikes: (2) Never mass produced, Raleigh Gran(d) Sport 1968/ Found in the 1970 Catalog, Factory Chromed

My 2 Gran/Grand Sport bicycles.

I hope you enjoy the Pics of my 2 Raleigh Grand/Gran Sport Bicycles.
S/N 182336
S/N 171232
What do you make of the 2 Sprockets, one on each side of the rear Hub, on the Bike at the beginning of these Posts?
I don’t blame you for asking for the Pics. It is pretty unbelievable that I actually have 2 of them. They are very rare.
The first one was stolen in 1974. I stopped and looked, every time I ever saw a Chrome Bike. Most all were Schwinn Paramounts. I found it, 39 years later and it took me another year and a half to buy it back.

Last edited by GranSport70; 01-11-21 at 08:09 PM.
Likes For GranSport70:
Old 01-11-21, 10:36 PM
niliraga 

Bikes: 1970s Coppi/Fiorelli beater, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1972 Bob Jackson, 1970 Cilo Sprint-X, 1985 Fuji Touring Series IV, 1969 Legnano Roma

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 129 Posts
that one in the first photo looks to be set up as a glorious singlespeed, with a flip-flop hub that can carry cogs/freewheels on both sides.

Originally Posted by GranSport70
What do you make of the 2 Sprockets, one on each side of the rear Hub, on the Bike at the beginning of these Posts?
Old 02-22-21, 08:16 PM
GranSport70
GranSport70

The Model as pictured in the 1970 catalog, Coffee and Green Trim, was not paint, but a Cellophane Type material that peeled off.
The other option, Coffee and Black, the Coffee appears to be the same Cellophane type material, the Black, clearly Painted on with Red, Hand Painted, Pin Stripping at each end additionally tracing the decorative Lugs.

Last edited by GranSport70; 07-11-21 at 08:38 AM.