Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help me update this 1999 Cannondale R300 Caad2

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 08-20-19, 08:56 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts

--if this isn't vintage enough, please feel free to relocate this thread to the appropriate forum--

Picked this up pretty cheap from a local on FB Marketplace. Seems to be in pretty good shape, and I already have some ideas but I need some help with some specifics...

I've already got it pretty much completely stripped down. Let me explain my plan a little, then list a few questions google couldn't quite help me with..

I want to replace that god awful stem with a threaded-to-threadless adapter so I can put a threadless stem (not picked out yet) with a standard 31.8 clamp on - to go with some riser bars (probably these: https://www.retro-gression.com/colle...iser-handlebar).

Apparently the fork is chromoly, even though the frame is aluminum - but either way I'm thinking of replacing it with a carbon fork - suggestions welcome.

I'd like to make it a 1x8 - keep the rear freewheel and derailleur but kibosh that triple crank and replace it with a nice single crank - suggestions welcome.

QUESTIONS:

-I wasn't able to find a lot of info on the original BB, a Shimano LB-27. Is this some sort of standard size? Can I just swap the triple with a single & some spacers without changing the BB?
-Can I even make this a 1x8? Do you think the chain line will work OK?
-Will the original RSX rear derailleur work ok with a 1x8?
-Taking suggestions for a shifter for the rear derailleur to go on riser bars
-The downtube has the big ol' cable guides - I'll use the one on the right for the rear derailleur like it is - but what can I do with the other one? Is it gonna look stupid if I take off as much as I can and just leave the back plating (if I can?)

additional pics of things:

Old 08-20-19, 09:18 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by the sci guy
--if this isn't vintage enough, please feel free to relocate this thread to the appropriate forum--

Picked this up pretty cheap from a local on FB Marketplace. Seems to be in pretty good shape, and I already have some ideas but I need some help with some specifics...

I've already got it pretty much completely stripped down. Let me explain my plan a little, then list a few questions google couldn't quite help me with..

I want to replace that god awful stem with a threaded-to-threadless adapter so I can put a threadless stem (not picked out yet) with a standard 31.8 clamp on - to go with some riser bars (probably these: https://www.retro-gression.com/colle...iser-handlebar).

Apparently the fork is chromoly, even though the frame is aluminum - but either way I'm thinking of replacing it with a carbon fork - suggestions welcome.
What's your overall intent with the build?

-I wasn't able to find a lot of info on the original BB, a Shimano LB-27. Is this some sort of standard size?
Where are you getting the "LB-27" from?

Can I just swap the triple with a single & some spacers without changing the BB?
This will depend on the cranks. Different cranks position both the rings and crank arms in different places relative to the BB spindle.

Assuming that your bike has a square taper BB, this shouldn't be much of an issue. UN55 bottom brackets come in a variety of spindle lengths and are cheap and good. If you get a new crank and it needs a different spindle length than the old one, you can just swap bottom brackets.

-Can I even make this a 1x8? Do you think the chain line will work OK?
Did the bike explode when you tried to ride around using just the middle ring? If not, there's no reason that a 1x8 system can't be made to work.

-Will the original RSX rear derailleur work ok with a 1x8?
Did the rear derailleur explode when you tried to ride around using just the middle ring? If not, it's seemingly compatible with a 1x8 drivetrain.

-The downtube has the big ol' cable guides - I'll use the one on the right for the rear derailleur like it is - but what can I do with the other one? Is it gonna look stupid if I take off as much as I can and just leave the back plating (if I can?)
Problem Solvers Shifter Boss Covers.

Last edited by HTupolev; 08-20-19 at 09:29 PM.
Old 08-20-19, 09:40 PM
sdn40

Bikes: 88 Cannondale Criterium

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 91 Posts
I think I'm the only one on the face of the planet that actually likes those stems.
Old 08-20-19, 10:02 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
They do make quill stems that rise, Nitto dirt drip and the like which might be cheaper than a adapter and new bars, just sayin. Also you might try just riding in the middle ring for a while and see how you like it before making wholesale changes, it may prove informative for what you like and don't like about a 1x8 set up.
Old 08-20-19, 10:23 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Originally Posted by HTupolev
What's your overall intent with the build?
flat/riser bar road ripper. fun rides, commuter (backpack), etc.

Where are you getting the "LB-27" from?
The 1999 Cannondale catalogue https://vintagecannondale.com/year/1999/1999V2.pdf

This will depend on the cranks. Different cranks position both the rings and crank arms in different places relative to the BB spindle.

Assuming that your bike has a square taper BB, this shouldn't be much of an issue. UN55 bottom brackets come in a variety of spindle lengths and are cheap and good. If you get a new crank and it needs a different spindle length than the old one, you can just swap bottom brackets.
Good to know, thanks. I haven't decided on a new crank yet so cross that bridge when get there

Did the bike explode when you tried to ride around using just the middle ring? If not, there's no reason that a 1x8 system can't be made to work.
It did not.

Did the rear derailleur explode when you tried to ride around using just the middle ring? If not, it's seemingly compatible with a 1x8 drivetrain.
Good to know.

Problem Solvers Shifter Boss Covers.
Sweet, thanks.
Old 08-20-19, 10:55 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
LP-27. Looks like an older square-taper cartridge.
Old 08-21-19, 08:31 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

LP-27. Looks like an older square-taper cartridge.
d'oh - late night typo
Old 08-21-19, 02:46 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
@the_sci_guy, if you decide to put that RSX group up for sale at some point, please shoot me a PM. that is hard to find, and it is good working kit. Want to find a group to do a build my wife requested, with a Bottecchia CroMor frames.

BTW, nice R300, those ride nicely, I had that generation in a '97 R500T.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 08-21-19, 03:45 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Originally Posted by qcpmsame
@the_sci_guy, if you decide to put that RSX group up for sale at some point, please shoot me a PM. that is hard to find, and it is good working kit. Want to find a group to do a build my wife requested, with a Bottecchia CroMor frames.

Bill
I'm going to keep the crank and the front derailleur along with the STI brakes in the parts bin for now. If I end up liking the bike a lot I may eventually update the rear derailleur, too. But from what I've seen it's a decently spec'd groupset for being on a bottom of the line bike in 1999. The brakes are RSX as well - but I'll be keeping those on the bike for now too.

Did your bike have a chro-mo fork or a carbon? I've not dabbled in individual carbon forks before and while I may not do it on the first go round - i'm contemplating it for the future.
Old 08-22-19, 05:48 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

My R500T had the steel fork, as did my SR300, no complaints about it either time. Current CAAD 10 had the CF SAVE technology fork, smooth riding bicycle with the hydroformed tubing and SAVE front and rear design.

Bill

Old 08-22-19, 06:03 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts

Bill
I have an RSX triple crankset, and while it's a bit heavy, the shifting up front is some of the best I have used. The brakes are excellent too.
Old 08-22-19, 06:11 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Originally Posted by Lemond1985
I have an RSX triple crankset, and while it's a bit heavy, the shifting up front is some of the best I have used. The brakes are excellent too.
I truly liked the RSX group that was stock on my R500T, after swapping everything out for 105 and gifting the bike to our daughter, I let the crank, RD and brifters go to a needy member doing an adaptive set up for a fused ankle. These can get spendy on eBay, for some reason, so I didn't try to find a replacement. Now my wife wants a similar set up to the R500T on the Botty steel frame set I have on my work bench. Guess I'll just have to pony up the coins.

Bill

Old 11-30-19, 04:54 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

With a bit of input here, and in a few other threads, and a bunch of research online, I finished this rebuild about 2 weeks ago! I'm quite happy with how it came out. It's not perfect, and I still plan on changing a few things but it's functionally complete. I did everything myself this time - it spent no time in a shop. I still plan on replacing the original seatpost, and will probably replace the pedals/cages with some platforms & straps. I'm not 100% loving the 48t chainring, so if I end up switching to a narrow-wide, I will look for a 42t probably (though I haven't hard any chain-drop issues yet shifting through the cassette while in motion).
Specs so far:
-Bars: Nitto For Shred; 65cm

-Stem: Ritchey C220 (31.8 clamp)
-Quill: Profile Design 1”-1 1/8” threaded stem adapter
-Headset: FSA Duron X1 1” threaded
-Brake levers: Shimano BL-R550 silver
-Brake calipers: Shimano RSX (original)
-Shifter: Shimano Altus SL-M310 8 speed trigger
-Grips: Race Face Half-Nelson
-Crank: Sugino RD2 48t, 165mm
-Bottom Bracket: Shimano UN55 square taper, 110mm spindle
-Derailleur: Shimano RSX 8SIS, rear (original)
-Cassette: Shimano RSX 8 spd 12-25 (original)
-Pedals: Origin8 Track, w/ MKS toe cages
-Seatpost: Standard 27.2 aluminum (original)
-Saddle: Specialized Avatar
-Wheels: Mavic CXP 11 (original)
-Hubs: Shimano RSX (original)
-Tires: Kenda Quick-Trax 700x28
-Other: Problem Solvers downtube shifter boss covers
If you're interested in seeing all the before/during/after pics of the entire process, flickr album here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rattle...57710249815572
Pics of the bike when I got it are at the top of this thread.
Here's what it currently looks like:

Likes For the sci guy:
Old 12-01-19, 09:01 AM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
looks good OP how does it ride and fit post changes?
Old 12-01-19, 12:53 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Originally Posted by ryansu
looks good OP how does it ride and fit post changes?
rides nice. Some bad toe overlap though which I’m not used to. Already almost spilled two or three times because of it lol
Old 01-15-20, 06:59 PM
UKFan4Sure
Useless Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 113 Posts
rides nice. Some bad toe overlap though which I’m not used to. Already almost spilled two or three times because of it lol
Amen, Brother! I have already scrubbed my front toe twice since buying mine today. Definitely going to have to be careful. I've never owned a bike that does this before.
Old 01-15-20, 08:08 PM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 280 Posts
Originally Posted by sdn40
I think I'm the only one on the face of the planet that actually likes those stems.
Yes, you are.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 01-19-20, 12:59 AM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
I truly liked the RSX group that was stock on my R500T, after swapping everything out for 105 and gifting the bike to our daughter, I let the crank, RD and brifters go to a needy member doing an adaptive set up for a fused ankle. These can get spendy on eBay, for some reason, so I didn't try to find a replacement. Now my wife wants a similar set up to the R500T on the Botty steel frame set I have on my work bench. Guess I'll just have to pony up the coins.

Bill
I'm quite interested in the build for a fused ankle. I'm in an AFO brace presently, but will be having an ankle fusion myself before too long.
Old 01-19-20, 07:45 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Originally Posted by zjrog
I'm quite interested in the build for a fused ankle. I'm in an AFO brace presently, but will be having an ankle fusion myself before too long.
It was back in 2011 when I paid it forward to the gentleman, you might check in the Adaptive Cycling forum for ideas on an adaptation for that ankle. I have the need for another RSX triple crankset, brifter and FD, want to hang them on my wives next bike that I am building up. A Bottecchia Cromor frame In her size that a regular here in the C&V gifted me a while back, she likes triples for her rides. What mama want, mama gets!

Bill

Likes For qcpmsame:
Old 01-22-20, 10:20 AM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

It was back in 2011 when I paid it forward to the gentleman, you might check in the Adaptive Cycling forum for ideas on an adaptation for that ankle. I have the need for another RSX triple crankset, brifter and FD, want to hang them on my wives next bike that I am building up. A Bottecchia Cromor frame In her size that a regular here in the C&V gifted me a while back, she likes triples for her rides. What mama want, mama gets!

Bill
What mama wants, yep, fully understand that!!! Good luck!
Likes For zjrog:
Old 01-29-20, 02:23 PM
zjrog

With a bit of input here, and in a few other threads, and a bunch of research online, I finished this rebuild about 2 weeks ago! I'm quite happy with how it came out. It's not perfect, and I still plan on changing a few things but it's functionally complete. I did everything myself this time - it spent no time in a shop. I still plan on replacing the original seatpost, and will probably replace the pedals/cages with some platforms & straps. I'm not 100% loving the 48t chainring, so if I end up switching to a narrow-wide, I will look for a 42t probably (though I haven't hard any chain-drop issues yet shifting through the cassette while in motion).
Specs so far:
-Bars: Nitto For Shred; 65cm

-Stem: Ritchey C220 (31.8 clamp)
-Quill: Profile Design 1”-1 1/8” threaded stem adapter
-Headset: FSA Duron X1 1” threaded
-Brake levers: Shimano BL-R550 silver
-Brake calipers: Shimano RSX (original)
-Shifter: Shimano Altus SL-M310 8 speed trigger
-Grips: Race Face Half-Nelson
-Crank: Sugino RD2 48t, 165mm
-Bottom Bracket: Shimano UN55 square taper, 110mm spindle
-Derailleur: Shimano RSX 8SIS, rear (original)
-Cassette: Shimano RSX 8 spd 12-25 (original)
-Pedals: Origin8 Track, w/ MKS toe cages
-Seatpost: Standard 27.2 aluminum (original)
-Saddle: Specialized Avatar
-Wheels: Mavic CXP 11 (original)
-Hubs: Shimano RSX (original)
-Tires: Kenda Quick-Trax 700x28
-Other: Problem Solvers downtube shifter boss covers
If you're interested in seeing all the before/during/after pics of the entire process, flickr album here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rattle...57710249815572
Pics of the bike when I got it are at the top of this thread.
Here's what it currently looks like:

I have that same FSA headset that I'm going to put on my old KHS later this winter. How do you like it so far?
Old 01-31-20, 12:13 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Originally Posted by zjrog
I have that same FSA headset that I'm going to put on my old KHS later this winter. How do you like it so far?
so far so good. Looks nice. Is smooth.
Old 01-31-20, 09:25 AM
zjrog

so far so good. Looks nice. Is smooth.
Good to know, the headset was a gift.

I just snagged a 60cm 97 R300, trying to figure out exactly what I will do with it. Nice to see 28s fit, I tried 32s, but they hit the seat tube, couldn't get the wheel in the dropouts.
Old 05-20-20, 01:49 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Made some changes to this bike to make it more sale-friendly for bike normies - and took off the $$ parts and put on some cheaper stuff so I could sell it at a reasonable price.
Put on an Origin8 crank & stem, put the original C'dale Coda bars back on, and added microshift R8 1x8 brake/shift levers, and recabled the whole thing.

Likes For the sci guy: