Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

80's 3rensho bike

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

80's 3rensho bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-20, 12:02 PM
5chulzy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
80's 3rensho bike

I've just been giving what I think is a 3Rensho bike from the mid 80's. A family member gave it to me as he is moving back to New York, that's where he got it from, he knows nothing about bikes so was happy to leave it with me. Once I saw it I fell in love.

I couldn't believe how good the condition was and wanted to find out more about the bike. I've had a little look online and was surprised by the age of parts and am now intrigue .

It has a shimano 6207 brake levers, caliper and crankset

An campalogno nouvo record patent '83 rear deraileur and down tube shifters. Front deraileur I think has been replaced with a tumour mech

Front wheel is f105 with weinman rim
Rear wheel the rm40 with sunrim cr18 rim.

Sakae road champion bars
nikko technomic stem

I take it the wheels have been replaced at some point and will look into replacing them with a matching set

The bike rides like a dream and I will only use it for short trips around city 30km at the most
One thing I've noticed is the stopping power on the 6027 brakes. I have to have hands on the drops to get full leverage to stop the bike.
If riding on the hoods i find it very hard to stop. Maybe I'm not used to older levers. I might replace with 6500 dual pivot calipers and upgrade the lever to 6209 with concealed cables, will it be worth it.

Gonna replace bar tape and saddle with tanned coloured to match new tyres I will be getting with tan sidewall. Took it for a little test ride and had a blown out as sidewall had completely perished.

I'm only new to cycling (9 months) so have limited knowledge about vintage parts, google is my best friend, so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Old 05-20-20, 12:03 PM
5chulzy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Wont let me post pics up
Old 05-20-20, 12:06 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Wow, what a special bike! 3Rensho was a very high end Japanese marque. Others are very well informed and will chime in, but I know enough to know that it’s a top-end bike and builder. Can’t wait for pics!
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 05-20-20, 12:15 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 420 Posts
5chulzy , you have a very nice bike....if it's the only bike you have and need something to get you around town, I would look for a beater to do that.

3Rensho, main
Likes For branko_76:
Old 05-20-20, 12:16 PM
5chulzy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by noobinsf
Wow, what a special bike! 3Rensho was a very high end Japanese marque. Others are very well informed and will chime in, but I know enough to know that it’s a top-end bike and builder. Can’t wait for pics!
From what I've read I'm very lucky to be given it. I was gonna originally turn it into a fixie but as soon as I saw it I fell in love with it. Frame has Mark's on top tube where I suspect a chain was wrapped around when being use . Might get it repspayed or leave it as it is and keep character of the bike

Last edited by 5chulzy; 05-20-20 at 12:21 PM.
Old 05-20-20, 12:22 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

I would not consider fixie-fying it or repainting until finding out more and considering the decision carefully...

EDIT: Don't make it a fixie...

3Rensho, main

On Yoshi Konno, 3Rensho Bicycles and Cyclone, Ltd. at Kashiwa and Abiko, Chiba, Japan (Yellow Jersey)
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 05-20-20, 12:25 PM
5chulzy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by branko_76
, you have a very nice bike....if it's the only bike you have and need something to get you around town, I would look for a beater to do that.
I have a carbon cube road bike that I use for long rides and was gonna turn this into a singlespeed for town. Will keep this as original as I can and treat my self to a third bike now just for city cente . Just need to find the room to store bikes in apartment
Likes For 5chulzy:
Old 05-20-20, 12:29 PM
5chulzy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Regarding the shimanon 600 brakes. I know they are single pivot, but what is the performance expected to be like on them. I dont feel confident going over 20kmph on them
Old 05-20-20, 12:35 PM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 449 Posts
Picture Assistance

(Details of the frame are interesting, the components not so much.)
Old 05-20-20, 12:42 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 420 Posts
Originally Posted by 5chulzy
I have a carbon cube road bike that I use for long rides and was gonna turn this into a singlespeed for town. Will keep this as original as I can and treat my self to a third bike now just for city cente . Just need to find the room to store bikes in apartment
Do you have an empty wall in the apartment for the "San Rensho" ...

I would sell the campy stuff and populate it with 1980's Shimano Dura Ace
Likes For branko_76:
Old 05-20-20, 12:48 PM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Brakes?!? We Don't Need No Stinking Brakes!!!

Regarding the shimanon 600 brakes. I know they are single pivot, but what is the performance expected to be like on them. I dont feel confident going over 20kmph on them

(New pads, or deglaze the ones on there, new cables, and the brakes should function better. I have these 600 brakes on one of my rides, (maybe two, I forget), and they work well enough, but this early version of the Ultegra is not renowned for its stopping prowess.)
Likes For machinist42:
Old 05-20-20, 12:48 PM
5chulzy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Might have to. 3 spare walls equals 3 bikes to he fair
Likes For 5chulzy:
Old 05-20-20, 12:57 PM
5chulzy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Paid for premium trial 😁😁😁

serial number underneath A0 15 3
Old 05-20-20, 01:00 PM
5chulzy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by machinist42

(New pads, or deglaze the ones on there, new cables, and the brakes should function better. I have these 600 brakes on one of my rides, (maybe two, I forget), and they work well enough, but this early version of the Ultegra is not renowned for its stopping prowess.)
Tried sanding pads down. Read sandpaper between pad and rim. Apply brake and turn wheel. Made no difference so got new pads and still the same

Cables seem ok, as in not sticking but will replace along with housing and see if that helps
Old 05-20-20, 01:10 PM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Good or Gooder?

Tried sanding pads down. Read sandpaper between pad and rim. Apply brake and turn wheel. Made no difference so got new pads and still the same

Cables seem ok, as in not sticking but will replace along with housing and see if that helps
I use a rasp. Your use of sandpaper will leave silica in the brake pads, and essentially sand the rim. It's not as severe as it sounds, but less than ideal.

New cables and housing for optimal performance of extant braking system. And I'm sure the calipers and levers could benefit from an overhaul? It's been, what, near 40 years?

Could you please post photos of the seat stay cluster?
Likes For machinist42:
Old 05-20-20, 01:23 PM
5chulzy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

this is from a '79 3Rensho-Cyclone catalogue
I know some models have 3renso stamp at top of seat stay but frames from his early days didn't.
I've noticed mine has cable guides on top tube and seems but in the picture it shows a stamp on seat stay as well. I seem to have a mixture between the frames in catalogue
Old 05-20-20, 01:31 PM
5chulzy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by machinist42
I use a rasp. Your use of sandpaper will leave silica in the brake pads, and essentially sand the rim. It's not as severe as it sounds, but less than ideal.

New cables and housing for optimal performance of extant braking system. And I'm sure the calipers and levers could benefit from an overhaul? It's been, what, near 40 years?

Could you please post photos of the seat stay cluster?
ive released cable tension and both levers and caliper feel fine and move smoothly, cable doesn't seem to stick either. Will replace cables though just to be sure.

What's surprised me is the condition of brakes and other components. No rust or corrosion at all.
it makes me wonder has this been restored previously before my bro in law got it? Wi get on to him and find out
Old 05-20-20, 01:41 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Is that a bent seat-stay?
Old 05-20-20, 01:43 PM
5chulzy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Just some quick digging around and come across these

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...bim-konno.html

Bow from what I understand, 3rensho/cyclone/cherubim frames are all built by 3 brothers from the konno family, so I can imagine the details are very similar amounts different frames
Old 05-20-20, 01:56 PM
5chulzy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TugaDude
Is that a bent seat-stay?
Justs had another look, knew there was a dent and tube is slightly bent. Hopefully not an issue.

Would I be able to get repaired if it is a problem?
Old 05-20-20, 02:07 PM
TugaDude

Justs had another look, knew there was a dent and tube is slightly bent. Hopefully not an issue.

I doubt that it would ever fail and cause an accident, but I'm not a structural engineer or frame-builder so take what I say with reservations.

I don't think that can be fixed without taking it off. If you are considering a refinish at some point, that would be the time to do it. Otherwise, just ride it, I suppose.

It looks to me like it was repainted at some point. It surely had decals on it at least. Every other example I've seen has had 3Rensho decals all over.

The craftsmanship of 3Renshos is superb and in my opinion, yours should be restored properly at some point.

Last edited by TugaDude; 05-20-20 at 02:17 PM.
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 05-20-20, 02:18 PM
TugaDude

The folks over at Classic Rendezvous had this information which indicates that yours probably was sold through Yellow Jersey. Perhaps they could help narrow down model and year for you?

https://www.classicrendezvous.com/Japan/3Rensho.htm

Edit: Yellow Jersey may have replacement decals
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 05-20-20, 02:37 PM
noobinsf 

Does it ride ok? The pic you shared of the serial number shows that the rear wheel is strongly biased toward the drive side, which must be a result of the dent.

Even with the dent, this is a special bike, so certainly if you have the means and inclination, you should get another beater bike for around town.

There are some folks who frequent the forums who do frame repairs, so I'm sure several of them will be along soon to give an opinion on what your repair options are.
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 05-20-20, 02:42 PM
TugaDude

Originally Posted by noobinsf
Does it ride ok? The pic you shared of the serial number shows that the rear wheel is strongly biased toward the drive side, which must be a result of the dent.

Even with the dent, this is a special bike, so certainly if you have the means and inclination, you should get another beater bike for around town.

There are some folks who frequent the forums who do frame repairs, so I'm sure several of them will be along soon to give an opinion on what your repair options are.

I didn't notice that, but it is wonky. The frame needs to be evaluated by an expert to determine a path forward.
Old 05-20-20, 02:48 PM
noobinsf 

TugaDude mentioned Yellow Jersey above, and it may be worthwhile to get a repair evaluation from them.

Bicycle Frame Repair at Yellow Jersey
Likes For noobinsf:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.