Go Back  Bike Forums > News & Suggestions > Manufacturer, Retailer, Survey and Consumer Feedback
Reload this Page >

Mike's Bikes of Sacramento bad business practices

Notices
Manufacturer, Retailer, Survey and Consumer Feedback As a manufacturer or retailer, do you want opinions and feedback on your products or services? Members, do you have an open letter to publish? Here's a place for both sides of the industry to communicate. Also, surveys and Student Data Colllection projects go in here.

Old 07-18-20, 10:11 AM
restlessswind

Bikes: 2017 Surly Cross-Check. 2020 Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0, 2002 GT Dyno Roadster, 2002 Rans Stratus, 2020 Giant Fathom 2, 2011 Trek Pure Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 62 Posts

Ok, I am not a disgruntled customer. I am a concerned citizen. While standing in line for my order pickup, I overheard the conversation with the customer in front of me and the sales guy. The customer was interested in buying a bike that was out of stock. The sales guy stated, blatantly that "I have that bike here, it is an Internet order. I can sell it to you. I will tell the customer that ordered it that it got lost in the process. Let me get approval.". He came back in a moment. "Approved!"
All I can say is,WOW! They just resold a pre-purchased bike someone patiently waited for. Who knows when that replacement will arrive?I Orders at Mike's require full payment in advance. I wish I could tell the customer that ordered that bike what I heard.

Last edited by restlessswind; 07-18-20 at 10:14 AM.
Old 07-18-20, 10:45 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Do LBS's have (or is this a brand-specific thing) commission structures? Sounds like a built-in conflict of interest if nobody in the shop gets a commission on internet ordered ship-to-shop bike?
Old 07-18-20, 10:54 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
One hates to hear about transactions like that. "If one money is good, then two moneys must be better," is obviously the shop's thinking, but they'll need to refund the first purchase unless that buyer continues to hang on. I recently ordered something for price X and while waiting for delivery was told it was not available and I would not be charged, and when I looked again the price had risen by $100, about 50% increase. I guess they were expecting me to buy again at a higher price? No, thanks.
Old 07-18-20, 03:43 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,905 Posts
It is a thing that happens with a lot of retail purchases. Unless a preassigned serial number or other registration key factor has been established, it will be susceptible to that type of behavior.
Old 07-18-20, 04:35 PM
InvertedMP 

Bikes: 2021 Scott Addict RC 20

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 104 Posts
I would call the store manager. I would also Yelp review that. I shop at Mikes Bikes in Walnut Creek and have bought several bikes from them. I would be very upset if they did this to me.
Old 07-18-20, 05:01 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by restlessswind
Ok, I am not a disgruntled customer. I am a concerned citizen.
It would have been better if you'd started with, "A friend told me she was in a shop and heard ..." You have no idea if any of what the salesperson said was true.

What I do know is that you're willing to come here and bad mouth a business without knowing all (any?) of the facts.

Last edited by asgelle; 07-18-20 at 05:07 PM.
Likes For asgelle:
Old 07-18-20, 05:38 PM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by restlessswind
Ok, I am not a disgruntled customer. I am a concerned citizen. While standing in line for my order pickup, I overheard the conversation with the customer in front of me and the sales guy. The customer was interested in buying a bike that was out of stock. The sales guy stated, blatantly that "I have that bike here, it is an Internet order. I can sell it to you. I will tell the customer that ordered it that it got lost in the process. Let me get approval.". He came back in a moment. "Approved!"
All I can say is,WOW! They just resold a pre-purchased bike someone patiently waited for. Who knows when that replacement will arrive?I Orders at Mike's require full payment in advance. I wish I could tell the customer that ordered that bike what I heard.
Originally Posted by asgelle
It would have been better if you'd started with, "A friend told me she was in a shop and heard ..." You have no idea if any of what the salesperson said was true.

What I do know is that you're willing to come here and bad mouth a business without knowing all (any?) of the facts.
There has to be more to this story. I tend to feel Mike's Bikes is a reputable company and I have purchased a few bikes from their other stores. Each store does have their own personality though.
Old 07-18-20, 05:50 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,564 Times in 3,764 Posts
Thread moved from General Cycling to Manufacturer, Retailer, Survey, and Consumer Feedback
Old 07-18-20, 05:51 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle

Exactly.. what you heard could just mean that their salespeople lie and there's really nothing at all wrong with how they operate.
Old 07-18-20, 07:34 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4331 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Who knows what happened. I would love to hear all sides of the story before passing judgement as this one seems a bit far fetched.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 07-19-20, 10:12 AM
Sean.Duckworth

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 1 Post
Hi All,

Sean from Mikes Bikes here! A customer kindly brought this discussion here to our attention. Just wanted to let everyone here know that we are absolutely looking into this situation. If things did in fact play out as indicated in the original post, that is entirely not how we do business, and will be certainly be addressed accordingly. Thank you all for the valuable information and support!

Cheers
Old 07-19-20, 04:13 PM
SammyBikes

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper 2020, Specialized Diverge Comp 2020

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 1 Post
From the Staff

Sam here, Assistant Manager at Mike's Bikes of Sacramento.

Our sales associate noticed we had a bike in the shop that was in queue to go out to one of our other locations in the Bay Area, as someone there had ordered it. Our General Manager checked inventory, found we could source a bike for that first order at yet another one of our shops, and told our sales associate he could sell the bike. It was NEVER the intent of anyone on our staff to over-sell a bike and leave a pre-paying customer out to dry. That is not at all how we operate.

The OP overheard the conversation and ran with what he heard, which is understandable. However the supposition that we would intentionally over-sell a product knowing that we were doing a disservice to someone is absolutely incorrect. I hope some of you find this explanation useful, and that we get to see you all in the shop, on the road, or out on the trail soon!
Old 07-19-20, 04:31 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
Glad the clarification was made and no unsavory business practices. Really pleased the store investigated and clarified the situation.
Old 07-19-20, 04:52 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
And that’s how you spank that monkey and put it to bed !
Likes For Tomm Willians:
Old 07-19-20, 05:42 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3653 Post(s)
Liked 5,391 Times in 2,736 Posts
And that's how you make yourself look foolish on the internet....
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-20-20, 07:48 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4331 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
As you can see people, Local Bike Shops are not shady fly by night places designed to take your money and run. Most of us are actual human beings just like yourself (and some shop dogs, cats and other non-human animals) and we aren't trying to screw you over at least not with any intention.

@Sean.Duckworth and @SammyBikes welcome to the forum, hope you stick around a while. It is an awesome place and always good to have other fellow shop folks here : )
Likes For veganbikes: