Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Good rear light 2020.

Old 12-03-20, 09:01 AM
JoeO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by trekmogul
It is so powerful that you sign a waiver to not use it after dark and only in day light.. I have had people see me 8 miles away on the bike trail...! Its a rude, nasty, and super powerful rear light..
I use it at night all the time. I just put it on as a solid light instead of flashing.
Old 12-03-20, 10:31 AM
01 CAt Man Do

Bikes: Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Just wanted to add an opinion. I'm not going to favor one particular rear light over another as there are so many good rear lights nowadays that it just wouldn't make sense. I think if you are using a rear light that is rated to be over 100 lumen ( usually this is in one of the flash modes ) that you have something that works and will definitely get you seen at night and perhaps even in the day. Quality though is important so I would definitely recommend a good brand name light.

Example of a good light: Some weeks ago I was driving my car in long line of slow moving traffic. Line of sight was very limited and most of my attention was aimed at what was directly in front of me. This was during the day but somewhere just before sunset. Suddenly my attention was directed to my right by a very bright light. Indeed, I saw the light first. Cyclist using a very good rear light in a place and time of year I would not expect to see a cyclist ( must of been a fairly warm day ). I was so impressed by this that as I came along side the rider I wound my side window down and told the guy that I really liked his rear light. Not sure what he was using but when I caught up to him again the light appeared to have the configuration of a Cygolite Hypershot ( two LED's, two optics, one of top of the other ). Possibly there are other brands that use the same physical configuration so I don't know really what he had. Doesn't matter. What he had worked and worked well.
Old 12-03-20, 12:40 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
Let me ask the assembled Varia intelligentsia if I understand: I'd need to ask Santa for a Varia RTL515 tail lamp/radar ($200 retail, North Pole price probably less) and an Edge 130 Plus ($200 retail, North Pole price probably less)?
Old 12-03-20, 01:26 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Let me ask the assembled Varia intelligentsia if I understand: I'd need to ask Santa for a Varia RTL515 tail lamp/radar ($200 retail, North Pole price probably less) and an Edge 130 Plus ($200 retail, North Pole price probably less)?
Yes, if you don't already have a compatible computer or mounted phone.
Old 12-04-20, 03:28 PM
kissTheApex

Bikes: Yes please

Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Yes. Though, if you’re currently using your phone to record, RTL515 also has Bluetooth capability so you can continue using your phone, given that radar would increase the phone’s battery consumption. If I remember correctly, rwgps app has native radar support, as well as garmin’s own radar app.
Old 12-26-20, 08:38 AM
vascof1

Bikes: Canyon Endurace AL 7

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Other than the Varia mentioned here, I’m a fan of the Cygolite Hotshot 200 as well. Lots of visual range, settings and lasts long enough for those night rides.
Likes For vascof1:
Old 12-27-20, 09:48 PM
JoeO

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by scubaman
I’ve had police officers pull up alongside me at stop lights - and once while I was riding - to *thank* me for using those lights, because they are so clearly visible.
I have literally had the same experience with my Dinotte lights.
Likes For JoeO:
Old 01-26-21, 08:35 PM
SeaEagles

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mattcalifornia
I'm currently using the Knog mid Cobber and it's been really good. It's programmable and has at least 6 different settings you can cycle through, but the biggest advantage over most other rear lights is that it is more visible from the side and angles than most other rear lights because of its shape. That said, I've been thinking about getting Varia radar once my Hammerhead bike computer ships (currently using my iPhone as a computer, and Varia only works with Ant+). The debate will be whether to get the Varia stand-alone radar and keep the Knog, or just switch to the Varia rear light for simplicity sake.

I will add that I recently bought a Knog PWR 1000-lumen front headlight, and it's pretty awesome. I'm totally comfortable biking in the dark now.

Hi Matt, did you end up buying the variance radar and keeping the cobber? Im contemplating a similar situation to you. Interested to hear whether you had any regrets not getting the varia light and radar combo?

Cheers
Old 01-26-21, 09:50 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by SeaEagles
Hi Matt, did you end up buying the variance radar and keeping the cobber? Im contemplating a similar situation to you. Interested to hear whether you had any regrets not getting the varia light and radar combo?

Cheers
Hi. Yes, my wife got me the Varia radar light for Christmas. I've only used it on a few rides, but it is excellent. I haven't been using the rear Cobber since I got it, but I'll probably keep it around for long or more dangerous rides. I also finally got my new Hammerhead Karoo2 computer (pre-ordered about 7 months ago), so I need to see how it works with the Varia. I literally just got it and haven't ridden with it yet. I was using my iPhone running Cyclemeter with the Varia, which is not ideal because that app doesn't seem to work with the Varia. So, I was swapping back and forth between Cyclemeter and the Varia app. And, even with that annoying setup, I still liked the Varia.
Old 01-27-21, 08:16 AM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
I would never ride my bike without my Varia RTL 515 running and communicating with my Garmin Edge. 1000.
Old 01-27-21, 09:09 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
I was using a hotshot Pro 200, because I believe a rear light has to be just as effective as a front light during the day. I recently switched to the Garmin RTL515. Let me tell you this is well worth the price. If you go this route I highly recommend BupLabs mounting solutions to protect that $200 investment. By protect, I mean redundant and secure mounting. Even though the O-ring Mount works, I’m more comfortable with this.

Old 01-27-21, 11:17 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Originally Posted by tcs
Let me ask the assembled Varia intelligentsia if I understand: I'd need to ask Santa for a Varia...
Uh, yeah, unfortunately, Santa said no $@*&% way on a $400 tail light. I did find a fresh 9V battery in my stocking for my Belt Beacon, though.
Old 01-27-21, 11:40 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,235 Times in 616 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Uh, yeah, unfortunately, Santa said no $@*&% way on a $400 tail light. I did find a fresh 9V battery in my stocking for my Belt Beacon, though.
$155 Great Light

Dinotte 400R Taillight With 2 Cell Battery *New* | eBay

Old 01-28-21, 01:42 AM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
It's not cheap, but it's not $400. They are all over the place for $199, and I've seen them for around $169.
Likes For mattcalifornia:
Old 01-28-21, 10:23 AM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by mattcalifornia
It's not cheap, but it's not $400. They are all over the place for $199, and I've seen them for around $169.
The $400 cost came from posts no.s 78, 79 & 80.
Old 02-01-21, 09:41 PM
Koyote

Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts
Today I got a Cygolite Hypershot 350. I already have a Cygolite, so I know that the hardmount bracket is solid...And the light is obviously bright as hell -- too bright, really. I bought it with a plan to use it on steady, with the intensity dimmed a bit in order to prolong battery life for long rides. Even at about half intensity, it's still brighter than my 100 lumen lights. Nice bonus: good side visibility, too.

Haven't ridden with it yet, but I'm pleased so far.
Old 02-02-21, 08:52 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Today I got a Cygolite Hypershot 350. I already have a Cygolite, so I know that the hardmount bracket is solid...And the light is obviously bright as hell -- too bright, really. I bought it with a plan to use it on steady, with the intensity dimmed a bit in order to prolong battery life for long rides. Even at about half intensity, it's still brighter than my 100 lumen lights. Nice bonus: good side visibility, too.

Haven't ridden with it yet, but I'm pleased so far.
On a bright sunny day position your bike 50-100yds away from you, then make a decision if it too bright.
Old 02-02-21, 08:56 AM
Koyote

Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs
On a bright sunny day position your bike 50-100yds away from you, then make a decision if it too bright.
Yes, good idea. However, I believe that, on steady beam and highest power, it only runs for a couple hours -- and I would like to ride as long as 5-6 hours without worrying about it. I suppose for such rides, I might better choose a flashing mode, since that gives longer life.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-01-21, 08:16 AM
CaptMike

Bikes: Waterford Sport Tourer, Merlin Extralight, Fuji Suncrest, Why Cycles Big Iron, Seven Monster X

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Oldwinger, do you get all the functionality of the Varia while using it with the Edge 1000? I recall someone saying you get different functionality with different computers. It's amazing how emotional folks get over these things.

I'm also a Dinotte fan. I have an old yellow daytime front light, and an old rear light that they said was only for daytime use. They both had fairly big batteries that you had to also mount to the bike. Bright as hell. I may upgrade my Dinotte lights. Thank you guys for the information.
Likes For CaptMike: