Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Viner Special Professional

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Viner Special Professional

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-21, 12:26 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
Good luck Lost Sailor17 sounds like you have a real gem if you're willing to put in some work/effort.
Old 02-10-21, 02:19 PM
Lost Sailor17

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks for that info!! I have printed it up. Is there some sort of a diagram that will explain the components of which you speak to in the cleaning process? I have looked on the internet and there are so many to pick from. Surely someone in this forum has a good image of the bike parts by name for this newbie? I can pretty much figure out most of them but not sure about such as jockey wheels? (actually the rims?) freewheel? (will provide pic when I know where it is). And lastly for now, where would I start my own build thread? In this forum as a new thread I assume. Certainly understand the statement about shops working on vintage bikes, so should I do internet purchase for things such as tires, tubes, seat, cables, etc., or would those same shops normally carry these items without having to special order? I am in no hurry to finish the project as it will be done over a lengthy time, but will need to discuss with my friend as he will eventually decide price to sell it at, after my expense for parts, etc. Everyone's help is greatly appreciated. This could be fun!!
Old 02-10-21, 02:42 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
This might help: https://www.roadbikerider.com/parts-of-a-bicycle-list/
Or this: https://www.levelninesports.com/lear...parts-glossary

"Jockey wheel" sometimes also called a "Pulley" is the little round gear on the rear derailleur, usually there's two. Many up to the 90s had a bushing inside, capped on either side by concave washers.

Also, you might hear the words "Cassette", "freewheel" or "Freehub" used interchangeably. Those are all (right or wrong) usually referencing the same part.

I cannot recommend to you enough RJ The Bike Guy's channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaA...2xiBbAUVZsvDYQ

He does a TON of vintage bike work. For example. If you wanted to learn how to repack a bottom bracket the right way, you could go to Google.com and search for : RJ Bike guy overhaul bottom bracket
You'll get a video like
, which is what you need to know and see.

Or say you wanted to learn how to overhaul a bike headset. Google for: RJ Bike guy overhaul headset
You'll get a video like
, or
which will help you out.

You'll also start to learn the names of parts as you watch the videos. I sent one of my friends to RJ's channel after helping him rebuild his first vintage bike and he's been able to rebuild 3 of his own bikes now. RJ also has cool videos on how to make your own tools. But I'll tell you: Sometimes it's really important to use the right tool for the job.

Likes For francophile:
Old 02-10-21, 02:46 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
Oh and don't forget - while this classic/vintage forum can probably help you with any technical issues, either in this thread or others, BikeForums also has a Mechanics forum where a number of bike mechanics hang out to answer questions, from newbie level to advanced. That's here: https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics/

Old 02-24-21, 11:07 AM
James1964 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 96 Posts
Very nice restoration project. Great find. If there is a bicycle coop in your area, then they can probably assist you and may have some of the required tools.
Old 02-24-21, 01:09 PM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
Definitely a worthy project. If it fits you (if you're somewhere around 5'0-5'4 as someone mentioned), you'll have a great rider with some panache.

If it doesn't fit you, you could get $500-750 in today's market for a fully refurbished bike.

Good luck!!!! take your time, and perhaps see if you have a local co-op or helpful folks in your area who can help with the process.
Old 08-01-21, 01:04 AM
Fullybent

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Viner: some built by Rauler

From the history of Rauler bikes, by Reclus Gozzi recounting an episode in the late eighties (history can be found on Bike Forums):

“One day Mr. Claudio Toselli, a former Giacobazzi racer, came to visit me. After his racing career he had become a sales representative in the racing bike business for various products including Viner bikes from Pistoia; the owners of this company were having trouble with their frame builder because he did not deliver on time. They were looking for a frame builder who was able to make at least 50 frames per month ready for painting.
He, Toselli, contacted us knowing well how we worked and how reliable we were on deliveries. Although flattered, we asked for a meeting with the owner of the company, who rushed to Reggio with his warehouse manager, Rodolfo; we quickly concluded our negotiation by agreeing on everything, quantity and price, with due recognition for our professionalism.
We had prepared the various parts already pantographed with their brand on the basis of their catalog; everything went well for them, Viner gave us all the material as Colnago did and we provided the labor. It was a very good and lasting agreement.”
Likes For Fullybent:
Old 11-05-21, 04:21 PM
LucasHartong

Bikes: '83 Viner Special Professional, '91 Pinarello Asolo 'spumoni', '93 Trek 930, '94 Giant Cadex CFR3, '97 Giant Atlanta MTB, '99 B1 Weblite Cross , '16 Cube Peloton Race.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 376 Times in 97 Posts
Here we go. This is my recently acquired Viner Special Professional 'stella'. It's an early 1983, with nearly full Shimano Golden Arrow early edition. First picture is as found, rest is work in progress. Hope you enjoy.

Old 11-05-21, 04:38 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,600 Times in 1,764 Posts
Nice find! That 105 'Golden Arrow' group is one of the best looking groups Shimano ever produced, IMO.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 11-12-21, 03:09 PM
LucasHartong

Bikes: '83 Viner Special Professional, '91 Pinarello Asolo 'spumoni', '93 Trek 930, '94 Giant Cadex CFR3, '97 Giant Atlanta MTB, '99 B1 Weblite Cross , '16 Cube Peloton Race.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 376 Times in 97 Posts

Likes For LucasHartong: