Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Elita Cranks and Gates

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Elita Cranks and Gates

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-21, 08:13 AM
New2Two

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Elita Cranks and Gates

Has anyone put a Gates timing belt on Truvativ Elita Cranks? I am getting mixed results when looking to see if they are compatible. C-C bottom bracket measurement say it will work, but I am also finding that the cranks are too narrow and the sprocket will contact the frame. In short, some sources say it will fit. Some sources say no. Our bike is a 2004 Cannondale RT1000 XL/M.
Old 02-14-21, 08:31 AM
bwebel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
The sprocket contacting the frame will certainly depend on the frame, so you probably won't find a definitive answer without trying it out. That said, the Gates sprockets are not out of line in size with the chainrings that typically are used as timing rings, so it would surprise me if it's a insurmountable problem. You likely would also be able to shim the sprocket outboard somewhat if it is close, though you would need to shim the front as well to maintain the beltline.
Old 02-14-21, 09:01 AM
Bellman

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
As bwebel says, this may be frame specific in terms of if it will work or not. We have a Gates tandem timing belt (250T) with 69T chainrings on a Co-Motion Primera with Elita cranks. No problems and plenty of frame clearance. But that's no guarantee the 69T ring will clear the chain stay on your Cannondale. Good luck!
Old 02-14-21, 09:08 AM
Bellman

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I wonder if this will help...The radius of the 69T ring/belt is 3 3/8 inch. The belt is about 1/2 inch thick. Maybe you could make a mock up to check stay clearance? On the Primera the timing belt clears the left stay by about 3/16 inch. However, that stay is curved and indented on the Co-Motion. Best!
Old 02-14-21, 01:35 PM
New2Two

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you for the dimensions. I was going to do a mock up, or try to 3D print something with the critical dimensions, and see if it would fit with the rear triangle.
Old 02-14-21, 02:59 PM
Alcanbrad

Bikes: '14 CoMo Carrera, '11 CoMo Primera co-pilot, '98 Santana Visa, a Plethora of road bikes, A commuter/Gravel beast (and 1 MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 38 Posts
I encountered this exact issue when converting our 2011 Co-Mo Primera with Elita cranks to a Gates belt. I ended up using longer chainring bolts (those intended to be used with 2 chain rings) and I placed a spacer washer between the Spider and the chainring (see pic - the dirt is optional and only there for aesthetic purposes ). I don't recall if I messed with the wavy washer and spacer washers on the Bottom bracket to move the crank out even further.

As you can see in the picture, it's a close fit, however, we have a few thousand miles on this with no issues what so ever.

Last edited by Alcanbrad; 02-14-21 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-14-21, 06:02 PM
New2Two

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you for the pic. That helps a lot.