Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuting by bike was the best

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 02-14-21, 12:55 PM
Road commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts

Just saying. Commuting can be fun!

Recently retired. Rode just over 58,000 km commuting by bike during my last 13 years. Couldn't have survived the drudgery without it lol

Ride safe!!! David
Old 02-14-21, 01:15 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Congratualtions on your retirement.

I loved commuting by bike...28 years ending last December, but I am not retired, nor is retirement on my radar at this point. The company I worked for closed up shop. I have been very fortunate in that some of the clients sought me out and are providing me with enough work to keep going while I look for a position with a new company.

So on the one hand I can now take a daily ride when I want during the day...but on the other hand the need to get somewhere every morning (and return in the evening) is missing, and that has been the extra push I needed on cold days, rainy days, and days where I didn't quite feel like riding, but knew I should.

I am taking any errand, or meeting as an excuse to ride, and I am trying to remind myself that the need to stay healthy and fit is also important, but I know I am slipping.

I am never NOT going to ride again after an injury kept me off the bike for a year a decade ago...I have something to prove by riding now...but the built-in twice daily exercise routine is tough to commit to while I am busy working from home.

I am jealous of everyone who has been fortunate enough to retire and now has the time for a longer daily ride.

One day...one day...
Old 02-14-21, 01:32 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 411 Times in 317 Posts
Currently furloughed, not retired but I agree that commuting by bike was the best. I hope to do it again one day.
Old 02-21-21, 03:03 AM
Bikewolf

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Enjoy your retirement.

I used to use public transport (good connection and cheap), but it was getting boring. Not long and I also cycled during the winter. Cycling is healthy, fun and makes freedom tangible!

If cycling is no longer possible, try to get outside a lot. Walking is fun too. With or without a dog. Make daily pictures etc. Enjoy!

And stay on this forum, share your wisdom :-)

Last edited by Bikewolf; 02-21-21 at 03:53 AM.
Old 02-26-21, 01:24 AM
Ironmanmarcus

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
miss this
Old 02-28-21, 11:13 AM
lesoudeur

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Best parts of the day.
Old 03-01-21, 03:43 PM
Hybrid_Chaplain

Bikes: 2021 Cannondale Quick 4 hybrid & 2004 Dahon Helios folding bike

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
For 15 of the 16 years that I lived in Boston/Brookline Massachusetts while not owning a car, my bicycle commutes were always faster than taking the Greenline trolleys or other subway lines. I could ride door to door to my teaching jobs in half the amount of time, and arrive feeling very awake and alert.

When I moved one hour north of Boston, I had to purchase a car, and I fell into the convenient habit of driving everywhere--even for short errands of a mile or less.

However, I have awoken from the petroleum-induced slumber, and my new bicycle commute which I hope to begin within the next week or so (when the ice has melted) will be 20 miles round-trip on a rail trail which passes right by my workplace.

This time, bicycle commuting will take quite a bit longer than driving the highway route, but I will be oh-so-much-for-the-better for it !
Likes For Hybrid_Chaplain:
Old 03-10-21, 10:28 AM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 80 Posts
congratulations on your retirement! Enjoy!

I am a bit envious though I know my time will come soon enough. And in that give me more time for cycling.

Enjoy the ride!
Old 03-11-21, 04:03 AM
h_curtis

Bikes: 80's Roberts road bike, Nashiki, ECR, Guerciotti and Penny Farthing

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 24 Posts
Love commuting by bike and love. my job that is physical. Enjoy your retirement. Not sure if I ever well.
Old 06-04-21, 01:16 AM
SamyilLoset

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
58,000 km is a lot ... But not only such trips can be interesting. I somehow got away from the street dogs for about 30 minutes almost at full speed, the dogs were addictive lol
Old 06-05-21, 06:14 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Been commuting since August 2014 and loving everything 'cept motorists. Bought a simple used Bontrager computer last Aug 4th and put 2400 (mostly) commute miles. Turned 60 a month ago. One of my students asked if I even own a car? "Yes, but I hate to drive it."

Planning on retirement in two years. Biking forever.
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 06-15-21, 06:27 AM
Alligator

Bikes: Too many. I’m constantly selling and buying new bikes.

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
I really love commuting by bike! It is easily the best part of my day. I love the variations in weather, the feel of getting somewhere on my own, and I even enjoy the odd stares by coworkers when I show up in the rain. Also, riding over the freeway and seeing everyone stuck in traffic in their cars is one of the best feelings. I just wish I could convince more people to do it.
Likes For Alligator:
Old 06-16-21, 06:27 AM
Drearocks

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I agree! I used to commute by bike in Boston, but now in NC its much harder. Not very bike friendly here. However, I have decided that I don't care, and I am going to get back into it anyway! I miss it, it's freeing!! Enjoy your retirement! Congrats
Likes For Drearocks:
Old 06-16-21, 06:42 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 269 Posts
I'm self-employed now, but when I left "regular" work last August, that would have made 38 years of commuting to work by bike. Yes, it definitely made the work more tolerable, not to mention the other benefits such as fitness, avoiding traffic jams, being more connected with the physical world rather than enclosed in a cage, etc.
Likes For johnnyace:
Old 06-17-21, 05:39 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 357 Posts
Work was just an interruption of a good bike ride. I retired 2 years ago myself and the only thing I miss is the commute. I would do it in the cold, in wet weather (but not pouring down rain), summer, winter, daytime, nighttime, whenever.
Likes For zacster:
Old 06-23-21, 05:13 PM
takenreasy

Bikes: ’83 Bianchi Special ’96 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp ’09 Gary Fisher Paragon ’09 Surly Cross Check ’11 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 50 Posts
I commuted 20 miles round trip year round every day no matter the weather for ten years. A lot of times it was totally bliss and just as many times shear attitude. Towards the end of my commuting I wished for an easier way home during the "windy months." I've been a full time teleworker the past five years but still do a lot of biking. Commuting on a bicycle is truly the best way to go to work.