Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1978 Specialized Allez?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1978 Specialized Allez?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-09, 11:59 PM
Reed19

Bikes: Specialized Allez '83-Yoshi Kono / Raleigh Super Course-Pickem'up truck junk yard snag

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
82/83 3rensho confirmed.

Thanks to all that helped with this. Since my last post I was fortunate enough to make contact with Bryant Bainbridge, Specialized Director R&D. Bryant asked me for specific pics of the frame and fork set and while we all can identify the 3rensho trademark build details he confirmed via the craftsmanship and date range of the decals that the bike is a late '82 early '83 Yoshi Kono build. In BB's words a very rare find, especially with the original specialized channel seal headset in good condition. Two posts up the decal changes are cited by another poster who echoed what BB said. There was a running decal change in 82/83 and my decals are in the latter part of that change. The earliest Allezs had a totally different font as seen in adds submitted by other posts early in ths thread. Also, the move to Campy DO in '84 eliminated that year. On a more personal note I actually found the guy who sold me the bike and BB both knew him and had recenty had contact with him via the bicycle community. All in all and pretty cool experience and as much fun as I have had in some time.

Thanks again and let's start a vintage Allez thread!

Reed
Old 01-02-11, 01:20 PM
Reed19

Bikes: Specialized Allez '83-Yoshi Kono / Raleigh Super Course-Pickem'up truck junk yard snag

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did I ever post a pic of the almost finished bike? All original spec with the exception of the Model 5 bars, knock-off hoods and saddle. All 1984 date matched Super Record and NOS Mavic GP-4 rims built to Record hubs.

Happy New Year!
Old 01-02-11, 01:29 PM
thirdgenbird

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Reed19
Did I ever post a pic of the almost finished bike? All original spec with the exception of the Model 5 bars, knock-off hoods and saddle. All 1984 date matched Super Record and NOS Mavic GP-4 rims built to Record hubs.

Happy New Year!
i cant see the pics, but the description alone have me very jealous
Old 01-02-11, 02:36 PM
Reed19

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Reed 82 83 Allez drive side.jpg (96.8 KB, 292 views)
File Type: jpg
Reed Allez drive train.jpg (98.0 KB, 247 views)
Old 01-02-11, 02:39 PM
thirdgenbird

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
wow, i LOVE it. get an elite cussi inox water bottle cage or two to finish it off.
Old 01-02-11, 03:43 PM
vettefrc2000

Bikes: 1976 Fuji America 1980 Fuji America 1984 Fuji America TS V 1982 Fuji Royale II 1993 Trek 970 1997 Trek 5000 2004 Trek Calypso 2007 Trek Portland 2008 Surly LTH

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I'm just amazed. No corrosion inside and the grease was still clean and a nice shade of tan. Did I ever really ride it? I can't wait to polish it and get it to gleam.
Did you ever ride it? I am still trying to figure out how you bought a bike in 1978 that was built in 1984?
Old 01-02-11, 06:09 PM
Reed19

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The easy answer is that I was mistaken in the year I bought it. Senior moment I guess. With the help of C&V and a couple of phone calls it became obvious that I bought it in or around 1983 from a shop in Los Gatos, CA called Velomeister.

Nice bike. Really nimble cornering. My first time on tubulars (original build was clinchers) and they are nothing but nice.

Any advice on how to change the thread title?

R
Old 01-02-11, 06:16 PM
JML

Bikes: 3Rensho SR Export

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Welcome to the 3Rensho club!
Old 01-02-11, 07:21 PM
mudboy

Bikes: Ruckelshaus Randonneur, Specialized Allez (early 90's, steel), Ruckelshaus Path Bomber currently being built

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Beautiful, but it needs tan sidewall tires.
Old 01-02-11, 07:40 PM
thirdgenbird

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
He probably has the same issue I do. No one makes a good mid priced tan tubular. Its either cheap trainers or $100 veloflex tires.

Last edited by thirdgenbird; 01-02-11 at 07:44 PM.
Old 01-02-11, 08:13 PM
Reed19

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...or it's his first tubular glue-up and he doesn't want to blow it with a nice tire.

Agreed on the side wall. Better stuff later.

R
Old 05-12-20, 09:28 PM
crumbling

Bikes: MKM., F. A. Lipcombe, Schwinn King Sting, 1938 BSA

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Folks,

I posted this is the Road forum and obviously this is the right place. I think I bought it in 1978 or 1979. I know I bought it in Los Gatos, CA. I am trying to verify which year. Pics are attached. Bracket shows a "3" and a "58" stamped on it. Wheel attach points have Shimano and FB on the forks and EF on the rear.

Can you help me ID the year?

Thanks,

G
Hi
I see on the BB photo the numbers 3 58, could this be a date using the Japanese Showa Calendar which would be March year Showa 58 that equals 1983, March 1983. Can you tell me what is stamped into the steerer tube that will be the tube manufacturer name, and numbers that could be 3.8.
Search Showa on the web and a comparative chart to the Julian calendar will show
crumbling
Old 05-12-20, 11:10 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,382 Times in 3,669 Posts
Originally Posted by crumbling
Hi
I see on the BB photo the numbers 3 58, could this be a date using the Japanese Showa Calendar which would be March year Showa 58 that equals 1983, March 1983. Can you tell me what is stamped into the steerer tube that will be the tube manufacturer name, and numbers that could be 3.8.
Search Showa on the web and a comparative chart to the Julian calendar will show
crumbling
Hi crumbling, welcome aboard/back/whatever.

So no worries, but 9 year old zombie thread here.

58 on the BB is the frame size, well known on these.
Old 05-12-20, 11:28 PM
900ss

Bikes: 1987 Team Allez (Tesch), 2020 Turbo Creo SL Comp Carbon EVO, 2023 Turbo Levo S-Works, 2021 Turbo Levo SL Carbon Expert

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Similar to or the same as the 56 on my '87 Team Allez?
Old 05-13-20, 03:57 AM
crumbling

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi
Can you please check the steerer tube if you can. I have a Schwinn frame that has this on the tube

This what it looks like but could be Tange
Old 05-13-20, 04:41 AM
crumbling

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Hi crumbling, welcome aboard/back/whatever.

So no worries, but 9 year old zombie thread here.

58 on the BB is the frame size, well known on these.
I do understand what you have said but I am trying to establish the calendar Ishiwata used and as you have acofirmed date of 1983 for your frame it will help. If it is too much trouble dont worry,
Kind Regards
crumbling
Old 05-18-20, 04:36 AM
crumbling

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1978 Specialized Allez

Originally Posted by 900ss
Similar to or the same as the 56 on my '87 Team Allez?
900ss
Good Evening (well at least 1030pm 05/18/2020)
As merziac said this is a zombie post from the past, I am writing from the future in New Zealand
I am ok to accept the 56 is the frame size ie 560mm=22.8". Just confirm it is that size and can you check the steerer tube to see what it is and it is refered to as Ishiwata etc, as you say yours is a 1987 Team Allez and it is Ishiwata tubing
Kind Regards
Crumbling
Old 05-18-20, 06:10 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by crumbling
I do understand what you have said but I am trying to establish the calendar Ishiwata used and as you have acofirmed date of 1983 for your frame it will help. If it is too much trouble dont worry,
Kind Regards
crumbling
Ishiwata manufactured forks used a two character alpha-numeric date code on the steering column that is based on the Gregorian calendar. The numeral indicates the last character of the calendar year. The letter indicates the month (A = January, B = February, etc). Please note that this applies only to forks manufactured by Ishiwata. Forks manufactured by a bicycle company will have a different format or no stamps at all.

Most Japanese bicycle and component manufacturers using an open format date code adopted the Gregorian calendar when they moved outside their domestic market. For most, that occurred in the early 1970s, with the bicycle boom. The only major Japanese companies that were still using the Japanese Imperial Calendar during the boom were Fuji and Sugino. I'm not aware of any Japanese companies still using the Japanese Imperial Calendar in the 1980s. Certainly, the large volume manufacturers weren't.
Old 05-19-20, 05:27 PM
crumbling

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1978 Specialized Allex

T-Mar

I stand to be corrected on using the term Julian calendar as it was replaced by the term Gregorian calendar but both are essentially the same with the Gregorian being the true current calendar name.

I know about your date version of the Ishiwata tubing but I also know about the Showa calendar from searching information about one of my cars, a 1966 Skyline GT and the year it was referred to was S40.1 in a Japanese book about the cars. This I could not understand until I discovered the Showa calendar. It was natural for it to be as the car is called a Prince Skyline GTB (before Prince amalgamated with Nissan but within the Nissan Factory the Skyline GT are refered to as Prince). The Prince name was in honour of Prince Hirohito, the Showa Emperor. I have seen the reflection of that honour on Prince Hirohito during a visit to Japan a few years back with other car enthusiasts. I have seen the Japanese attitude to their traditions and their desire to keeping them alive, which I admire.

This I feel extends into their manufacturing companies and the JIS. My experience is the Japanese hold their manufacturing in high esteem.

As result I consider the dating of Ishiwata could be Showa and apart from your comments and those who follow you and I see no other evidence for it not to be, just it is not. Any history of Ishiwata is difficult to find. I look for hard evidence as with my Schwinn MTB frame of the early 80s` that is the other side of my quest and that again is lost in history and what evidence that exists is ignored and not understood.

To you I ask where is there written proof of Ishiwata`s date code from history, not a photo of it, I have a clearer version of my own. The JIS symbol on my steerer tube dates from 1949 to 2007 but this gives no defining date for the stamping and Ishiwata ceased trading before 2007

The date difference from the Showa to the Gregorian calendar`s is small and normally not be seen for the 5 years it is.

I take it is very possible for the 3 58 or 56 stamped onto the BB of these two Allez is a reference to the frame size but the numbers stamped onto the steerer tube could probably clarify, unless the tubing is Tange.

I have seen SR, Sakae Ringo and Sakae, and Sugino used the Showa date code with Sugino at least until 1980 from the Vintage Trek site,

Regards

Crumbling
Old 05-19-20, 07:18 PM
Pugs2xLove

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 66 Posts
Mine is not a classic but I just bought a 2013 Specialized Allez today. There are some scuff marks and scratches but it has newer tires and chain. I like it though the drop bars will take some time to get used to since I'm a flat bar guy.